• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent MEP 802A report

MusgroveM

Ether is Bad Bad Bad...... I've destroyed an 003A withe ether.
I was able to get mine out by twisting it with a pair of Channel locks. My top was already off. That made it easier.

BradBMI

Guys Thanks for all the great info. I have a few 802A's were going to rebuild. Many of my friends were smacked by Hurricane Sandy here in NY so I picked up 8 802's for them all to have a diesel gen available. After the storm here there was no gasoline but plenty of diesel. When we pick up the units from Meade next week and figure out what we need to order I will let you guys know. Will put in a bulk order and maybe get better pricing you guys can share in. From the photos some are missing oil fill plugs etc. Are these available aftermarket or better to get the originals?

Thanks

avc8130

Guys Thanks for all the great info. I have a few 802A's were going to rebuild. Many of my friends were smacked by Hurricane Sandy here in NY so I picked up 8 802's for them all to have a diesel gen available. After the storm here there was no gasoline but plenty of diesel. When we pick up the units from Meade next week and figure out what we need to order I will let you guys know. Will put in a bulk order and maybe get better pricing you guys can share in. From the photos some are missing oil fill plugs etc. Are these available aftermarket or better to get the originals?

Thanks
Sounds like a fun project.

The oil fill caps are most likely there. They are chain tethered to the engine.

If your are worried about the oil fill caps, you probably have a world of hurt ahead of you getting 8 of them going. What WILL most likely be missing is the fuel filter case. You'll also probably find the exhaust flaps missing and motors full of water.

Plan on buying engine oil in bulk as you will go through a lot getting 8 motors flushed of water. You will also need coolant in a large quantity and 16 batteries.

Go ahead and order both fuel filters and the oil filters from fleetfilter.com to get good bulk pricing. With 8 sets I would order at least 16 of each, maybe 24 engine oil filters.

ac

BradBMI

Thanks already have a case of 24 filters fuel and oil. We do alot of heavy engine and truck work here so working on the smaller engines will be a treat for the guys in the shop....

avc8130

Thanks already have a case of 24 filters fuel and oil. We do alot of heavy engine and truck work here so working on the smaller engines will be a treat for the guys in the shop....
Maybe. Lots of screws and the work space is a bit cramped. Just fiddly. Nothing more difficult than a typical truck.

ac

bookpile

Despite having started this thread and reading all the replies I was the high bidder on one of the sets yesterday. I really narrowed my biddng field down to units with an exhaust flapper. Unit was a Tier two Reset in 2010 with 1100 hours on it. I paid $800, hopefully I can recoup some of that in part sales if it had an generator fire or something horrible at one point. Despite the higher hours the unit looks clean, except there is a hose sticking out the bottom of one of the skids. Looks like it is from the radiator overflow. Are we allowed to post a link to the auction now that it is over?

I actually realized I might have a problem unloading it from my truck. The MEP-002 had the handy dandy lifting hook in the middle that I used my engine hoist on. I don't think my 8' lifiting straps are long enough to go through the fork holes and wrap around to connect to the engine hoist. Do all you guys have your own personal fork lifts?

avc8130

Good luck! I know the set you won. Hopefully it works out for you.

I'm not sure how I feel about the resets. The criteria for the RESET induction is either 3500 hours on the unit OR major failure of the motor or generator side. You might have a generator with 4600 hours on the gen side. You might have a set with a brand new motor AND brand new generator. Let us know what it looks like.

Yes, I have my own personal fork lift.

ac

bookpile

Hmm I didn't think about that with the resets. I'm obviously hoping for the later. Trying to decide whether to take off this Friday or next Friday. Next Friday would work better but I'm afraid someone will steal my exhaust flap and battery tie downs if I wait too long.

Were you able to combine any of your sets into one good one yet?

avc8130

Hmm I didn't think about that with the resets. I'm obviously hoping for the later. Trying to decide whether to take off this Friday or next Friday. Next Friday would work better but I'm afraid someone will steal my exhaust flap and battery tie downs if I wait too long.

Were you able to combine any of your sets into one good one yet?
GO ASAP.

Do us all a favor and go look at the next lot also, I see they already have another pile up on the site.

We have 1 "runner". Of course it was the highest hour unit, that was originally missing parts. We expected IT would be the "parts" unit and it was the cheapest unit we bought. The most expensive was on fire of course. The one in the middle was the lowest hours.

I have no idea what the "secret" is. These sets seem like a real crap shoot.

ac

TurboJoe

I actually realized I might have a problem unloading it from my truck. The MEP-002 had the handy dandy lifting hook in the middle that I used my engine hoist on. I don't think my 8' lifiting straps are long enough to go through the fork holes and wrap around to connect to the engine hoist. Do all you guys have your own personal fork lifts?
Yes, I have a skid steer with pallet forks also. Doesn't everyone have their own forklift? How else do you change 5 ton tires and brake drums?

CDR

If any one is parting out I need a front gauge panel the hinge is broken or at least the load changing plastic knobImageUploadedByTapatalk1394205482.076934.jpg

AndrewOH

Hey guys, I am real sorry to here about the condition of these gennys. I was excited to bid on these but got stuck out at work and missed the auction. Would any of you knowing now what is involved wit these stick with the old 002's?

FWIW on people concerned about operating conditions and engine quality , I just saw a genny with a LP engine last week downrange with 25000 (yes 5 sig figs) hours on it in the same location I saw it in 2 years ago...

MusgroveM

20140226_183554.jpg
This is what I had to deal with. Mine starts and runs perfect. BUT.... It won't handle a load over 5KW, without the "Battle Short" switch engaged. So is it any better than the 002A's. Short answer is NO, but it's about half as loud.
Mike

Last edited:

Ratch

Andrew, I haven't load tested mine, but I like it better than the 002 so far. It starts way easier, and it's a lot quieter. I'm going to remove all sheet metal to add sound proofing material, and see if I can make a harmonic null for the exhaust.
But if it conks out or trips an overload when running the same households loads as the 002, I'll probably stick with the 002.

But so far, I like it more. I had it apart and was cracking open injector lines in 5 minutes the other day.

bookpile

Hey guys, I am real sorry to here about the condition of these gennys. I was excited to bid on these but got stuck out at work and missed the auction. Would any of you knowing now what is involved wit these stick with the old 002's?

FWIW on people concerned about operating conditions and engine quality , I just saw a genny with a LP engine last week downrange with 25000 (yes 5 sig figs) hours on it in the same location I saw it in 2 years ago...
Before people started picking these up a lot members were saying they were too complicated to work on and that they would stick with the 002. I'm probably not the best person to ask since mine started right up but at least engine wise it appears to be simpler than the 002. I can't speak to the generator electronics.
A few things I've noticed:

People seem to forget what a pain the IP and dogbone can be on the 002 when they're calling it simple
Only 1 main fuel pump instead of two.
There aren't three fuel filters/strainers to try to stop leaking. There is only one on the 802a, and a nice spin on one.
No need to spend $150 on an oil filter adapter or have messy oil changes.
No hard to find glow plugs (that I know of)

I'm sure the 802a has its own idiosyncrasies but the difference between the two on my quarter acre suburban lot is like night and day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks