• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Deuce

ARYankee

Well it was great seeing you guys again :) I bought some of those cheap Walmart foglights for mine a couple years back. I had some battery issues and after swapping batteries I hooked my 12 volt wire back up to the batteries but instead it was hooked up 24 volt so I toasted my lights. I ended up taking the lights apart. They were I think H3 bulbs which I actually had an extra set sitting around from way back in the day when I messed up and ordered them so I just replaced them. You may be able to replace the bulbs although it might be easier or cheaper to buy new lights. Now I have that 12 volt alternator kit that I am going to use.

rebel_raider

Finally got around to pulling the transmission and flywheel today. I had already done all the preliminary work like pulling the seats and tunnel covers. All I did today was to take loose the front drive shaft and actually take the transmission and flywheel out.

Taking the transmission out wasn't that hard, I just had to hold my mouth right to get it down between the engine and the crossmember behind it. Taking the adapter ring off also proved to be more than I anticipated as it hit the floor before it cleared one of the studs by the foot feed. The flywheel removal was also more than I planned. I knew the flywheel was going to be heavy, but I didn't know it was going to be THAT heavy. No problem though, just tie it on to the cherry picker too. And as always: Pics or it didn't happen!

Attachments

rebel_raider

I did forget to mention earlier that my truck has an English transmission. I thought that was neat. I also forgot to mention that my adapter ring had a broken off tap sticking out of the "front" of it that had gouged a little ring out on my flywheel. Also I noticed that all of the threaded holes in the ring had been heli-coiled. Is this common? I would tend to think so since the ring is aluminum. I was just curious about other trucks.

I agree with Welder Sam, some times it's just easier to write the check.
That is true, but not very helpful when the bank account is empty. And to tell the truth, even if I did have the money, I still wouldn't pay someone else to work on my truck. Unless its tires. I don't work on tires.

Welder Sam

I never suggested id pay. Thats what i bought the transmission hoist for. I semi agree with the tires. If theyre safety ring wheels, they go to the shop. If theyre 2pc bolt togethers, i wont pay. Theyre just to simple. You know i like my singles! 9.00's are great trailer tires tho. Helicoils are a common repair but i dont know how common as far as transmissions. We used them quite often in machinery repairs in mills and factories. Easier than trying to weld up a hole to redrill and tap. If its easy to get to and would accept a larger bolt, thats the way i like. Doubt your application has room to use a larger bolt tho

rebel_raider

I didn't think about bolt together rims, Sam, but I do agree wholeheartedly about the safety ring rims. I also know know you don't mind working on your trucks.

rebel_raider

If it ain't one thing, it's another. Checked my pilot bushing to see if it needed replaced, and noticed it seemed to be egged. Measured it at .801" with limit being .7535". Got down and inspected the input shaft, and it has about 1/16" of slop. Crap. Now I have to get the transmission all the way to the ground and drag it out from under the truck. Fun times.

rebel_raider

Well nuts. I'm confused. I've been researching my transmission woes, and after searching on here, I found a few people have had the same experience with their transmission input shafts. One even said his had a bunch of slack with NEW bearings. I just don't see how that is normal, correct, or good. I'll admit my transmission knowledge is limited, but I've always thought slack was bad. And the transmissions I've worked on did not have any slack in the input shaft.

I hate to tear it down, spend money on new bearings, and put it back together only to have it the same way as when I started. I also hate to slap it back in there and have it grenade a little ways down the road. Hmm...

combat32

I didn't think about bolt together rims, Sam, but I do agree wholeheartedly about the safety ring rims. I also know know you don't mind working on your trucks.
Spit rims are easy, ya just gotta respect them. Over inflation by numbnut privates has probably caused 95% of the accidents with these wheels.

Now about the slack, I don't recall any in mine, call Lewis he has forgot more about deuces than we will ever know[thumbzup]

rebel_raider

I know it's been awhile since I posting anything on my truck. but I finally did get transmission reinstalled and working. Had a little uh-oh with the pilot bushing, but other than that, it was relatively easy. I haven't test driven it yet, pending a seat upgrade which may take a few days to get lined out, but I predict that everything should be a-ok. I completely forgot about taking pics until after I had put everything back in the truck(its my temporary tool storage). I'm going to hit it again tomorrow, so I'll get some pics then.

ARYankee

Wow!!! I hope that I don't have to mess with the transmission in any of mine :) Good job! It's coming along nicely. Are you going to have her ready for the Convoy in May????

rebel_raider

That's what this is all about, TJ. Get it put together ASAP so I can have time to test run it before the convoy. I did get to work on the seat today, but I didn't empty out the truck so I only took one picture. Hopefully I'll have another mod done before the convoy, but I'll let that one be a surprise.
IMG_00000062.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks