• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refreshing Gunny the thread.

GunnyM1009

I think the horn works on grounding the relay. Like the power is there all the time and the button completes the ground. Not 100% sure. Electrical is my weak area. I know enough to get by and am happy I know that much.
That's correct you have 12v constant and switched ground. When the ground is switched on it completes the circuit energizing a small coil magnet which pulls a contact down to close the relay and send power out to the horn.

GunnyM1009

Been working on body mount bushings today. Everyone talks about how you have to be careful with the captured nuts on the 4 under the cab area. No one talks about how the rears are an absolute pain in the....... I have spent the last 5 hours just trying to get the bolts in the rear out. They were rust welded to the sleeve bushing. I ended up cutting the heads off and it still took a mini sledge to beet them out from the top. Rant over carry on.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Been working on body mount bushings today. Everyone talks about how you have to be careful with the captured nuts on the 4 under the cab area. No one talks about how the rears are an absolute pain in the....... I have spent the last 5 hours just trying to get the bolts in the rear out. They were rust welded to the sleeve bushing. I ended up cutting the heads off and it still took a mini sledge to beet them out from the top. Rant over carry on.
No easy way and using a torch is a bad plan...
Wish there was magic.
None that I know of though other than lots of penetrating oil and time.

GunnyM1009

No easy way and using a torch us a bad plan...
Wish there was magic.
None that I know of though other than lots of penetrating oil and time.
Glad I don't have a torch or I probably would have tried to melt the bolts out. I used a cutting wheel and cut the heads off till they were even with the shaft. The hammered them out. I'm hoping the rest aren't as bad. I'm putting it on hold till I get some replacement hardware Monday.

cucvrus

The rear 4 body bolts are nothing fancy. They are just 1/2" carriage bolts. Do you still have your fuel tank out? Check out my thread on the decade wrecked M1009. I've seen fire and I've seen pain, I seen rusty bushings I thought would never bend. The beating of bolts I thought would never end. I never thought I have that CUCV back together again.
1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked. | Page 14 | SteelSoldiers

Good Luck. But yes, you have a true conundrum. Take care and be careful with whatever you use. The bolts will surrender. My experience is patience and rest after you are tired. Take Care.

GunnyM1009

The rear 4 body bolts are nothing fancy. They are just 1/2" carriage bolts. Do you still have your fuel tank out? Check out my thread on the decade wrecked M1009. I've seen fire and I've seen pain, I seen rusty bushings I thought would never bend. The beating of bolts I thought would never end. I never thought I have that CUCV back together again.
1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked. | Page 14 | SteelSoldiers

Good Luck. But yes, you have a true conundrum. Take care and be careful with whatever you use. The bolts will surrender. My experience is patience and rest after you are tired. Take Care.
Yes fuel tank is still out. I'm getting the rears done before the tank goes back in. They were all a bit stuck but they all came loose except the two in the far rear. I'll pick up some new bolts tomorrow and get back at it. After I finally got the rears out I realised my phone fell out of my pockets and got ran over by my creeper. The way I felt after that was a good indication it was time to take a couple days off from working on it.

ssdvc

Yes fuel tank is still out. I'm getting the rears done before the tank goes back in. They were all a bit stuck but they all came loose except the two in the far rear. I'll pick up some new bolts tomorrow and get back at it. After I finally got the rears out I realised my phone fell out of my pockets and got ran over by my creeper. The way I felt after that was a good indication it was time to take a couple days off from working on it.
Gunny, I feel your pain aua . Believe me, you are not alone !!!!

cucvrus

Gunny, I feel your pain aua . Believe me, you are not alone !!!!
It never ends. If you own and drive a CUCV you had better be ready to work on it. People are driving these CUCV's like they are 5 year old vehicles. They are approaching 40 years old. I was in high school in the late 70's. I don't recall seeing any late 30's, 40's and maybe 1 late 50's model vehicles in the parking lot. Most vehicles become worn to the point that it is not feasible to do the upkeep. At this point in time I am willing to bet that more then 1/2 of the CUCV's built have been scrapped and destroyed. Not saying that is good or bad. Just being real. You will always have something to do on an older vehicle and a piece of equipment. I spent an hour working on my push mower yesterday and it is 10 years old. Things wear out with time. It must be a labor of love. Not considered work. Take Care and Be Safe.

GunnyM1009

Success got the two rear most body mount bushings installed. The rear carriage bolts were 5-1/4 long, my local Ace Hardware had 5 or 6 inch. I went with the 6 inch which seems to work fine. The bumper bracket bolts were pretty pitted as well so I grabbed some new grade 8 bolts for those as well.

GunnyM1009

Body mounts have had me held up for a bit. The two front cups that contact the body were pretty rusted out on the front so I ordered some new ones from classicindustries. I've got 7 out of 10 done so far. I have been taking my sweet time with them because I really don't want to have to cut the floors open if the cab mounts get messed up. After those are done I'm going to replace the rear brake lines on the axle, rebuild the rear brakes, throw the rear wheels back on and then the transmission and transfer case are going back in.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks