• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside safety: Stay Alive!

AZK9

You got to now; you got us all pumped up for it. ...
One of these days I'll do my best to post the story. Tonight is just not a good one for me to
correctly formulate the whole thing.

Telling the story, over and over again in the livingroom, is one thing. Writing it out so that
it can be understood by readers is something very different. :shrugs:

There was no loss of life, but from what you wrote in post 99, you pretty much know the
kind of stuff that can happen when distracted drivers do their dangerous things. ;)

tim292stro

Food for thought, if you come to an accident, or are a vehicle in one. Even if you don't have a vehicle large enough to position (and I'm not blanket advocating blocking off lanes of traffic), it's good to be aware of what to expect emergency crews are going to be doing when they arrive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu5wUlmo1Ow

Angling a vehicle is why I had very good reflective tape on the side of my Toyota Pickup (before I got rid of it) to show the outline to oncoming traffic:
near.jpgfar.jpg

Last edited:

tim292stro

This specific issue of accident traffic management is especially poignant to me as about three years ago now, my high school Woodshop/Health teacher and family friend (and one of our high school's beloved football coaches) was killed in a secondary accident after the car he was riding in was involved in a highway accident. He got out of the car to help direct traffic and was struck by a motorist who didn't recognize the accident in the traffic lanes for what it was.

I had plans to bring my first born to meet him in the month following when the accident was, since he was a family friend and had always asked my dad who was a football official about how I was doing, that never panned out...

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing about the collapsable cones:

The cones collapse to a base width of about 10"x10" and a height of about 2-1/4" with the rubber feet factored in.

I was just *barely* able to fit 2 of them into what I think is called a tall 30mm ammo can. (Probably compressed/flexed the plastic slightly.)

Bonus is that there is just enough room in the back for 4-6 flares (or something else) making each can a self contained hazard/warning "kit".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422868198.833465.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422868249.188311.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422868257.714364.jpg

A local store was having a 102nd anniversary sale, so I finally purchased enough flares and filled the empty space in these ammo cans. I fit six 15 minute flares in each can (along with the two collapsible cones). Two cans are in my deuce and one each are in my two civilian trucks.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Back2Wyo

I carry a pair of Larson Scientific amber 24 led lights (CS-A-24LED). They have a magnetic base so I can attach them to the truck. These have 2 modes, solid and flashing. The flash rate is faster than I'd like,but they will get peoples attention. Runs on 4 AA batteries or 12 volts.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks