• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside safety: Stay Alive!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got the car I drove around with my heart in my throat, terrified that someone would hit me. It felt like they were trying to push me down the road. Some of my fellow Model A Club members have the orange triangles on the backs of their cars. Living in an urban area leads me to think that most commuters have no idea what that triangle signifies.

I wanted a sign that provided information. The inspiration for my sign came from the back of CCKW's and jeeps used in the Red Ball Convoy during World War II. I made the sign using PowerPoint and the Stencil font. I printed it out on 11 x 17 paper. My wife had access to a large format laminating machine. She ran it through the machine twice to make it more rigid. I bought a sheet of white corrugated plastic sign material from Home Despot for a little over $7. I cut it out to the dimensions of the laminated sheet. I drilled holes through the plastic sign board. I ran some old Cat 3 telco copper twisted pair through the sign board and wrapped it around the vertical straps on the trunk. I clipped the laminated sign to the board with small binder clips. I used pliers to remove the clip arms. I intended this to be a temporary solution. I had plans to make a sign with an olive drab background, and use white paint stenciled to the background. I planned on sprinkling the wet paint with reflective beads to make it stand out. My low budget, quick and dirty solution has proved itself extraordinarily valuable. It's easy to see day or night. When headlights hit it, the black letters are very visible. The biggest surprise is in my rear view mirror when driving - vehicles get close to my bumper, read the sign, and go around me!!!

I took this picture at a Christmas Parade. I hope it helps provide at least an idea of what it looks like.

image1 (4).jpeg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used one of the triangles on my M38 when driving on the roads. I used a super long bolt and put it in the spare tire. It was effective but I had a buddy who's a state trooper tell me that state law says those are only for vehicles that can't exceede 35mph. Now, I still use it, and I know he's not going to give me a ticket, but double check that you're not going to piss off some cop on a bad day.

I think I will make one of those signs to put on my M880/Pioneer combo for the trip out to Denton. Probably make it Magnetic somehow and keep it around.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also clip amber flashing bicycle lights to the frame in front of the trunk when I drive the car at night. I bought 3 for $10. They are multi function, so I set them to flash the same way.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028A2 came with a triangle already installed and I have no plans to remove it because I think it improves visibility. I have been stopped before and the Deputy Sheriff did not mention it. I doubt it would ever get on their radar. If it was brought up, I would tell them truthfully that I think it improves safety.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When are we gonna see a picture with those mounted 3M vehicle delineators I sent you? :mrgreen:
Those are going on the M880 and the Pioneer. Just got 2 tailgates in last week for the M880, need to be restored and painted. Pioneer needs some paint before I put them on, they'll be pics at Denton worst case.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the older merdec camo trucks you will often see an L and an inverted L on each corner in solid 3m reflective red. Also works nicely.

I have it on my M923 and trailers.

Attachments

AZK9

Was out on the road in the deuce today and somehow managed to survive a few close calls.

... I thought I'd post to this thread, started a while back by Jeepsinker, as sort of a reminder
to everyone that there are many things we can do to help keep ourselves... and others in
a safety mindset! ...

Here is something that I added (it's removable) to the rear of my deuce to increase visibility.

M35-CautionPLANK.jpg

waayfast

No kidding, Tim29; you don't know how good that advice is:

- It actually scares me sometimes the people on the street in my neighborhood at dusk and at night that I don't see (if they don't have something reflective on them; and that's WITH my headlights on).

What's scary is that it startles me sometimes, but the people in the road have no clue that I can't see them, thinking that because my headlights are on that I can. What really gets me are the people dressed in grey or black workout clothes; more common than I want to admit (NOT good).

Not every street in my neighborhood has sidewalks, so people walk their dogs and take strolls along the neighborhood streets. Last thing I want is to hit somebody, but I have come close more than once.

On the way back up from Boise one night a week ago, we came across a wreck that had just happened moments before. South bound Toy Tacoma had a violent and deadly (for the elk-people OK)encounter with a big cow elk. Saw the flashing lights in plenty enough time to slow up and REALLY get all eyes in our rig checking for anything and everybody as we approached.

We were focused toward the scene and were shocked to catch sight (dang near too late)of a guy walking up the shoulder on our lane quit a ways down from the scene, attempting to flag traffic. Night of course, plus rainy snowy conditions made him impossible to see. Hate to admit it but had he been in the lane we would have nailed him--did not see him until it would have been too late to stop! Dark clothes and no light made him a target for sure. Scared the crap out of me and Shawn!!
I made a mental note to ALWAYS have a flashlight in my rigs and ALWAYS have it in hand if in a similar situation. Have a vest and will be getting more.

Jim

tim292stro

on the older merdec camo trucks you will often see an L and an inverted L on each corner in solid 3m reflective red...
Not just MERDEC camo'd vehicles, this was a safety thing in North America started back at the end of the '60's (too many rear-end accidents) - it was up to the individual unit commanders if they wanted to apply it to their pool's vehicles. They can be found in and out of circulation:
M416_reflective_tape.JPG
M1009_rear.jpg
GL_M1009.jpg

Sometimes you find trucks where the reflective tape has worn off or been mostly removed but you can still see where the adhesive was:
CUCV_reflective_removed.jpg

For the front, there is a picture of some CUCVs in Germany on the olive drab page (http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1009.php) showing some reflective tape on the front edge of the hood - I plan to copy this on mine with magnetic-backed 3M tape (with white).
M1009_front.jpg

For the sides, I'm not going to go completely nuts:
3M_outline.jpg

But I'm going to use 2" fluorescent yellow-green along the bottom and top edges of the sides where there is metal (not on the cap) so again I can use magnetic backed 3M tape.
3M_2in_fluorescent_yellow-green.jpg

Should give me both day-time and night-time visibility against a fresh 3-color NATO paint job, and with the magnetic backing I'm putting on it, it will be removable should the need arise (or LEO tell me "no" at a traffic stop).

AZK9

I used the 2" fluorescent red tape on the edges and ends of my 'caution plank'.

View attachment 603703
A few folks have asked me where I got the reflective material for this 'caution plank'
that I built for my M35A2. So here is the information:

I got this:
Trimbrite - Reflective Safety Tape
Line: TRM | Part # T1816
It cost: $3.99

It also comes in solid reflective stripes white, yellow and red.
All three colors have two size options 3/4" x 30" and 2" x 24".

The other thing I want to mention is... since the endgrain of wood is kind of a rough

surface, I sanded it well, primed it and after all had dried... I applied contact cement.

The contact cement adds a great amount of adhesion for the Trimbrite to stick to.

After painting the ultra-bright RED and YELLOW stripes, I added a clear coat of
paint. Finally I sprayed a clear, reflective paint as my final two coats.

Hope that helps. [thumbzup]

AZK9

Thanks, Ahab! :)

It's available in many places and varies widely in quality and price.
Most auto parts places and hardware stores usually carry it locally.

The 2" strips from WalMart are pretty nice quality. They are red and white.
I used them on my motorcycle helmet and they have lasted many years.

The important thing is to increase visibility as much as possible within state laws. [thumbzup]

Sometime I might post a true story of my experience returning from Fort Dix on a
NJ road known as Rt-206!! Sheeeeesh... :shock:

Another Ahab

Sometime I might post a true story of my experience returning from Fort Dix on a
NJ road known as Rt-206!! Sheeeeesh...
You got to now; you got us all pumped up for it.

I'll tell you a dicey stretch of highway is VA Rte 15 between Gainesville and Leesburg:

- two lane road winding old-school through farm country with a mix of cars and tractor-trailers and everybody booking along about 60 mph

That equates to a speed of potential impact at 120 mph. And the only thing separating the two lanes of opposing traffic are those quiet twin lines of bright yellow paint.

On occasion the experience can give a body a real sense of religion. I'm telling you.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have a xm1073 trailer and after painting it; I researched the DOT standards for lights and reflectors. I plan on adding additional clearance lights and red tape.

What most of us probably do not realize is that the m105, m200, m1061, xm1073, and many more trailers require conspicuity tape and lighted clearance lights on all corners to be "legal" due to weight and width. Box trailers need Silver L on corners.

Being visible also applies to the trailers we tow.

Check out the requirements:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks