• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rocky Mountain Airshow, Denver

mactiredearg

That old grey pickup's tires still scare me. There were dry rot chunks at least 3 inches in diameter missing from the sidewall of one of the rear tires. And the guy drove it in each day!

As for newest I'm pretty sure its my 109A4. Still gotta resolve the brake issue on that thing. And thanks old fart for catching the triple cot bunk bed in one pic. I forgot to get pix of the interior layout...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the M109A4 was a refurbed M109A3 that was manufactured in the 1960's, probably refurbed in the 1990's. At least that's what I've seen of them.

The CUCV's were manufactured in the mid 1980's. Some of them (like Chris' ambulance M1010) could have been 'manufactured' as late as 1990 or 1991(the date the M1028 was 'modified' with the ambulance rear box added).

Not sure how you are counting the M109A4, manufacture date or refurb date. Either way, it is WAY KEWL. Love what you guys did. And that eating area is EXACTLY what I thought it would look like. Seems you got the tables from Wings Over the Rockies along with the cruise missile.

Is that sign Chris is holding say 'Water for sale'?

Gives the guys down here something to strive for.

YOU GUYS WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND and next year should be even better.

mcmullag

F-22 problem solved

someone mentioned the F-22 problems for the pilots. I now remember one of our members, a retired AF kernel ( I cant spell colonel right for sure) that the problem has been solved, appears it was in the flight suits.

Oldfart

the M109A4 was a refurbed M109A3 that was manufactured in the 1960's, probably refurbed in the 1990's. At least that's what I've seen of them.

The CUCV's were manufactured in the mid 1980's. Some of them (like Chris' ambulance M1010) could have been 'manufactured' as late as 1990 or 1991(the date the M1028 was 'modified' with the ambulance rear box added).

Not sure how you are counting the M109A4, manufacture date or refurb date. Either way, it is WAY KEWL. Love what you guys did. And that eating area is EXACTLY what I thought it would look like. Seems you got the tables from Wings Over the Rockies along with the cruise missile.

Is that sign Chris is holding say 'Water for sale'?

Gives the guys down here something to strive for.

YOU GUYS WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND and next year should be even better.
Wallew ~ Thanks for the congrats. Missed you for sure. I think the M109a4 is titled as a '98 or '96. Mactiredearg got soaked hard on the licensing fees and you know how Colorado likes to make more money in their fees. I think the oldest rig there could be a toss up, but it is possible the Ford 1 1/2 ton cargo truck could be the oldest. MA and GP jeeps started to roll out in 1941 and Tillie the Autocar is a 1941. The grill on the Ford was used in 40 and 41 on larger trucks. The pickups tended to use more stylish car grills. The 40/41 large truck grill was patterned after a 39 Ford car grill and as I recall changed to the flatter nose style in 42. I hate to admit that I am old enough to remember some of these things. ~~~ I was hoping some of the WW1 trucks would come out again this year, but given the high cost of fuel and hauling, I think we had an outstanding turnout.

Oldfart

......... And thanks old fart for catching the triple cot bunk bed in one pic. I forgot to get pix of the interior layout...

Jollyroger gave me copies of all of his photos plus the better than 100 I took so all together I have probably 250 or so to look through. I will see if we have any others that show your M109a4 with the rear doors open.

Last edited:

Blueduce

someone mentioned the F-22 problems for the pilots. I now remember one of our members, a retired AF kernel ( I cant spell colonel right for sure) that the problem has been solved, appears it was in the flight suits.
The F-22 quote was me. After I saw the picks I read through a few sites to bring myself up to speed on the plane. That's where I saw the news release. I'm glad the engineer nerds got the problem sorted.

By the way wallew, loving the new avatar.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Jollyroger gave me copies of all of his photos plus the better than 100 I took so all together I have probably 250 or so to look through. I will see if we have any others that show your M109a4 with the rear doors open.
mactiredearg I went through all the photos we have and that was the only one with doors open showing the bunk beds. I think your M109a4 has to be the newest at the airshow given that the title shows it as a 1998. I am still working on finding the year of the old Ford Ton and half Cargo Truck, but it could well be a 1940.

jollyroger

Some of my Pics from the show and show prep.

Attachments

Oldfart

Lewis tank loadout

I found a couple photos of the "STEWART" not Lewis Tank load out. I watched the halftrack load as well, but missed getting any photos. Wish I had taken some videos. Last year there were lots of videos, but so far no one has posted anything in the way of movies. The heavy equipment always seems more impressive when it is on the roll.

I kinda wonder what it would have look like if the Lewis could have backed into the C130 ????

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldfart

The tank mentioned as a Sherman in a previous is actually a 1943 M5A1 Stuart. My bad.

I have to apologize again!! It is a STUART Light Tank as 70 Deuce so correctly pointed our earlier. In any case it is a really neat piece of WW2 history and it runs and drives.

Oldfart

Gamagoat1 has sent me a couple of his videos of the "STUART" tank unloading for the air show. He had difficulty with uploading to SS so I will give it a try. (click on the yellow IMAGO***.wmv to start the video)

Attachments

Last edited:

jollyroger

Bethchya get a lot of looks when you roll down the highway with that Cruise Missile out in the daylight.

:D[thumbzup]
Indeed you do......I had people that would drive by, slow down so I could pass them again, roll down both windows on the passenger side and three or four cameras and phones would come out of the windows to take pics.......Then they would speed off with a bunch of arms out the window waving in appreciation. This happened too many times to count. It was a real attention getter for sure.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wallew ~ Thanks for the congrats. Missed you for sure. I think the M109a4 is titled as a '98 or '96. Mactiredearg got soaked hard on the licensing fees and you know how Colorado likes to make more money in their fees
Oldfart,

Yeah, I do know what you are talking about. And I was thinking about the ORIGINAL manufacture date, not the refurb date. Leave it to the military AND Colorado to call it a 1998.

The funny part is, here in Texas, if you register it as a FMV (Former Military Vehicle), you don't have to have it inspected and it's $10 a year (you have to pay for five years - depending on what part of the five year cycle the DMV here is in) - I paid $10 each for all four of mine. NEXT YEAR, they start the beginning of the five year cycle, so it will cost me $200 for the four vehicles I've registered as FMV's. But then NOTHING for five years.

Supposedly you can only drive them to 'functions' like shows or club meetings or getting it worked on. But I gave EVERYONE a club sign and told them if they wanted to drive their trucks, DISPLAY THE CLUB SIGN and if they get stopped, give the officer a club card (I printed 10 club cards for each of them) with their name on it and tell them that they are on a 'recruitment' drive around town - which is actually true. Every time we drive our MV's around town, we ALWAYS seem to draw a few people who are interested, so giving them club cards with their names and website address on it was a no-brainer.

Funny part is, the police here don't seem to mind and mainly just wave at us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks