• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run ins with law enforcement

Maverick1701

I havent been stopped by the police here, I usually get a wave.

I have had a few start chatting at while fueling up though.

(Btw if any of you tx members know if your local police department/sheriffs office is hiring plz shoot me a PM...fresh out of the academy and looking for a good PD/town to work in)

Stalwart

In one city nearby when I am out driving my Scorpion tank they just wave. Here in Redmond they all seem to look, slow a bit, and then drive some other direction. Only one Officer tried a blocking manuver on the tank . . . when it was unoccupied and parked at a car show. :roll:

stampy

I drive my M35 onto Fort Meade and always get waved on by the guards, being retired Army when I try to show my ID, they wave me on. I also have a M 1008 camo, with military police stenceled on the doors, and a big blue strobe on the roof. I snuck off road into a restriced range area other day and passed two security forces SUV's they waved as they passed. A cop told me they could care less seeing a MV, more important things to look for. It helpes if your vechile is restored and has all or the bumper / unit markings in place
Probably not something to advertise.:-D

spicergear

Ahhh...Ft Meade. That was a fun day. Not really law enforcement but sort of- I go there to pick up a generator for a buddy of mine in MS who I'll be meeting down south the next week. I have my big M715 (Velvet) with the Rockwells and 1100x 20 Xtra Grips on it. I pull in and get waved into an in spection area. I sit there for 20 minutes out of my truck on a folding chair with an armed guard in front of me and another at the other end...and...another guy with a mirror and some other equipment carefully surveying my truck. At the end of this they very officially let me proceed with my day pass and give me directions to where I need to go. All the while he's under my truck and checking this and that...he never checked in the cab. Go figure-

I go the couple simple directions to where they had aimed me, drive through some staggerd cement barriers and come to a gate. A sawed off security guard in full gear asks for my pass. Then asks why I'm there. I give him the day pass and tell him I'm to pick up a generator at... He says something into his shoulder mount microphone then asks for my license...then asks why I'm there. Two security vehicles whip up, one behind me and one in front of me. OKAAAAAY. I'm not feeling so good about my current situation but haven't done anything wrong. I tell him again why I'm there. He walks into his booth and gets on the phone. He comes back out and asks me why I'm there. This is getting old so I tell him very collectedly and clearly and not in anyway being a wise-ass, that I was there for the generator, he can see it's clearly shown on my paperwork from GL, and I've answered this question 4 times now exactly the same. He shows me my Ft Meade day pass and says, "THIS is a Ft Meade day pass. ( I nod in agreement) THAT is Ft. Meade (as he points to the ground from where I came from) THIS IS NSA. You do not have, NOR EVER WILL HAVE a reason to be here. WHY ARE YOU HERE?

My mind heads back to the guys at the security check point that gave me the directions and them probably falling all over themselves hollering laughing at some dark haired, 5 o'clock shadowed, hot truck cab in August sweating- dipsh!t in an old military truck they sent to NSA. Well played gentlement...well played- :-D

So I again tell angry Napoleon at the guard shack why I'm there, tell him that I was obviously given wrong directions and ask politely if I could leave. He gets on the phone again then tells me that he'll direct me out. He walks out flagging all the traffic to stop, waves me across the lanes like he's directing a 747, then points out the gate. There were no other cars except for the several behind me waiting. Protocol...wow.

Finally find the warehouse and get the genset...realizing that Angry Napoleon never returned my driver's license. I head back. I stop before the cement barriers this time and walk up. A gigantic football build guard walks out to meet me. I tell him that the other guard had asked for my licence and didn't return it. HE TELL ME that I dropped it when I exitted my vehicle. I tell him I never got out. He tells me I dropped it when I exitted my vehicle. I tell him I never exitted my vehicle or I'd probably be in the clink somewhere now. He hands it to me...I leave. Whew. A fun note was that several people took pictures of Velvet as we were meandering around the base in search of the warehouse- :-D

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

August 19th, 2009.

No doubt living here in Texas has its high points, I suspect all the local PD and State troopers know my M35A2 and Unimog,S404.114. Heck, I can't outrun anything, they're noisy and slow, and who else drives a desert tan deuce or a forest green Unimog???? The good point is, they know if they're in a scrape and need towing or off road capabilities.... I'm around. I really enjoyed the comments from the man with the Ferrett out of gas... I bet they are a pain to crank start even if its a Rolls Royce engine! One local guy down here has a 105MM howitzer he tows behind his deuce... very cool mojo there, and probably no one tailgates him.
I dread having to move back east, or worse, out west, because the city folks seem not to be as tolerant of our more unusual rides....:twisted:, and getting a Unimog inspected is going to be sheer H--l, as the Swiss lighting code and odd costruction of the truck is gonna be a problem.... here in Texas some fool inspector wanted to cut holes in my new cargo tarpaulin on the deuce to put clearance lights on.... and was having a bird over my short mud flaps.
Fortunately the Texas code saves me on both of these items....:wink:

Always a hoot hearing what you other gentlemen are putting up with,

have a good day and keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:twisted:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one: One Friday night, I suffered a small breakdown in my Deuce. The air line that runs from the firewall to my air pressure guage broke apart. This of course resulted in a massive air loss, so rather than risk driving it home (40-50 miles) I plugged the line with a small piece of a stick and drove it to my girlfriend's (now my wife) house (15 miles). I then was in the process of getting the parts to fix it when I was called to go back to work earlier than planned (I work offshore); so my deuce is sitting in my g/f's driveway waiting for me to come home and I can fix it.

She (my g/f) had the day off, so she was leaving her house around 2:30 to pick her son up from school, when a car pulled up and 2 men in cammies got out. They approached her and explained they were M.P.'s from a local Army base (Camp Beauregard) and told her they had received a call saying there was a suspicious truck at her house and the caller thought it had been stolen from the base. She explained to them where and when I bought it, they then went on to explain they were only following up on the call and let her know that usually when base vehicles were stolen by soldiers going AWOL, it was usually Hummers or vans stolen, and they felt it unlikely that someone would have stolen a deuce......

She told me it freaked her out, but when she explained it all to them, they thanked her and left. She then emailed me to give me a heads up that if anyone approached me when I got back and was working on it, that was the deal.....

Second one, had the neighbor try the "You can't drive that", he threatened to call the police. I asked him to PLEASE call the police because he had blocked the road with his p/u and was guilty of unlawful restraint and blocking a public road.

He thought about it and moved. I smiled and drove by.

I have had a LEO come to my cousins house where the deuce was parked and pass the message to me he had BETTER not catch the deuce on the road because it was illegal to drive them on public roads.

Mostly though, my experiences have been positive.

I let a friend of mine (who's motor T in the LANG) borrow the truck for a static display for a fundraiser they were doing for kids, and he got stopped by a La State Policeman who checked the paperwork and told my friend he had never seen an M/V with all it's paperwork in that good of an order. My paperwork (registration, insurance, copy of La law concerning privately owned M/V's etc) are kept inside an old Army maintenence binder, whick is inside an OD waterproof pelican case).

frodobaggins

I drove my truck in to work the day after I bought it. I got 15 minutes into the trip and a state trooper pulled me over. After he confirmed I hadn't stolen it, he proceeded to tell me all about his M37 he just bought... Asked if I wouldn't mind doing some parades, beer, etc :)

redcoat54th

I have never been stopped or questioned even when I had a dummy gun in the Ferret turret! The locals all know me and would rather chat about their time in service or "how can I get one?" I have never been asked for any paperwork but I keep it all up to date and onboard at all times. I am now buying a Deuce so I will carry warning triangles and a fire extinguisher. I'll have to see after I mount the .50 cal!!!!!!!!!!!!

jollyroger

I have not had any problems over the last 23 years of driving m-37's with regard to law enforcement. Just general curiosity and thumbs up.
One time I scared a high school parking lot attendant by driving on top of a huge snow pile in the parking lot after a big blizzard. He was just standing there and the m truck peaked and parked on top of a 12 foot snow pile. He was left scrambling after seening the bottom of the chasis up front. I knew he was on the other side of the pile. I have no idea how he could have not known about me on the other side. I got ejected from the parking lot. Oh well. I got the rest of the day off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks