• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw This on a Diesel Heater Forum

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure that in Texas it's illegal as f*** (ie: strapping a boat gas tank under your car).

But our DPS Troopers are always looking for stuff strapped under vehicles. Something like this croossing a checkpoint like Sarita?.....yeah, "Sir, I need you to pull over to the inspection area" <as you hear the K9's barking to come out and play...and the one guy in overalls off to the side sparks up the cutting torch>
They would NEVER expect to find just diesel fuel. Probably throw them off their game.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried it a few winters. Just to much for the box (ran 10 mins for 30 seconds of heat). And I don't like sleeping with earplugs (I may still have the db meter readings of that thing running thru all it's cycles). Took mine out. May heat the garage with it for when I'm working on stuff in Februarys.

;)
Yeah I have an exactly tried it yet because I have to redo the wiring and the fuel pumps had been removed. Got a new one but haven't plumbed it up yet

coachgeo

Yeah I have an exactly tried it yet because I have to redo the wiring and the fuel pumps had been removed. Got a new one but haven't plumbed it up yet
There is enough RV/van life folk with diesel heaters now ...... the sound issues have been resolved in many ways. Anyone worried about that with searching and reading is very likely to find a good solution for them..

Third From Texas

There is enough RV/van life folk with diesel heaters now ...... the sound issues have been resolved in many ways. Anyone worried about that with searching and reading is very likely to find a good solution for them..
The sound issues I was referring to are with the M1079 OEM Hunter. There's no way to really quiet it down without some major mods. The blower fan is half the problem (it's LOUD). I looked at what it would take to put a more quiet fan in there, but unless you have a solution that can move the intended cfm you'll risk failing to keep the unit within spec'ed cooling/circulation/risk of fire. As far a sound dampening, I couldn't figure out how to pull it off w/o relocation the unit and ducting it in, but that fan....is loud. It's such overkill for the volume of the box, I chose not to mess with it and prepped for a smaller, quieter solution.

Don't get me wrong, it gets plenty hot. It certainly heats the box up in a hurry.

coachgeo

The sound issues I was referring to are with the M1079 OEM Hunter. There's no way to really quiet it down without some major mods. The blower fan is half the problem (it's LOUD). I looked at what it would take to put a more quiet fan in there, but unless you have a solution that can move the intended cfm you'll risk failing to keep the unit within spec'ed cooling/circulation/risk of fire. As far a sound dampening, I couldn't figure out how to pull it off w/o relocation the unit and ducting it in, but that fan....is loud. It's such overkill for the volume of the box, I chose not to mess with it and prepped for a smaller, quieter solution.

Don't get me wrong, it gets plenty hot. It certainly heats the box up in a hurry.
ahhhhhhhh that makes ton more sense... yeah...... did hear they were monsters.....

If anyone has one Id be interested in it possible for project stuff-ish.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the input!
I think for the heat output, one heater will be fine. The expansible van body has about 238 sqft of floor space once expanded vs about 90 for an M1079. I was thinking of putting in a fake fireplace heater from rec pro as well (rp-2164) and could use that for much more quiet heat, when I'm plugged in, or have sufficient battery capacity.

ToddJK

Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It's one thing to have diesel heat in a garage or in the truck while driving, you're awake and can control the ventilation and such. Any thing related to an RV or at time of sleep, it's just easier to go with a propane heater. At least the tank can be stored in a safe place during travel and then placed elsewhere when in use. I've used the Mr.Buddy heater my dad had a few times in the old camper we had and it was plenty to keep it comfortable, even when down in the single digits, and a 20 gallon tank would last for a few nights. That's just me 🤷

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It's one thing to have diesel heat in a garage or in the truck while driving, you're awake and can control the ventilation and such. Any thing related to an RV or at time of sleep, it's just easier to go with a propane heater. At least the tank can be stored in a safe place during travel and then placed elsewhere when in use. I've used the Mr.Buddy heater my dad had a few times in the old camper we had and it was plenty to keep it comfortable, even when down in the single digits, and a 20 gallon tank would last for a few nights. That's just me 🤷

Without the context of tone due to being asked through a keyboard, this question may seem obnoxious but it is asked with the intent of fostering open discussion and promoting understanding. My question is, are you suggesting that propane heat via a radiant heater (like the Mr. Buddy) is safer than a diesel fed furnace?

The reason I ask is that I don't see it, and this is why. Both have the combustion byproduct issue- either fuel's exhaust can asphyxiate you, so to me that's a wash. The diesel heater can be located outside the habitat, a radiant heater (of any fuel) needs to be in the environment it's responsible for heating. The byproduct of complete propane combustion is CO2 and water, which I am doing everything I can to keep water out of my camper. The most significant difference in my opinion is that propane is much more dangerous to store and transport (explosive and under pressure) where diesel isn't an explosive risk and isn't under pressure.

Genuinely asking in the most constructive manner possible, why would a propane heater be safer than a diesel?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without the context of tone due to being asked through a keyboard, this question may seem obnoxious but it is asked with the intent of fostering open discussion and promoting understanding. My question is, are you suggesting that propane heat via a radiant heater (like the Mr. Buddy) is safer than a diesel fed furnace?

The reason I ask is that I don't see it, and this is why. Both have the combustion byproduct issue- either fuel's exhaust can asphyxiate you, so to me that's a wash. The diesel heater can be located outside the habitat, a radiant heater (of any fuel) needs to be in the environment it's responsible for heating. The byproduct of complete propane combustion is CO2 and water, which I am doing everything I can to keep water out of my camper. The most significant difference in my opinion is that propane is much more dangerous to store and transport (explosive and under pressure) where diesel isn't an explosive risk and isn't under pressure.

Genuinely asking in the most constructive manner possible, why would a propane heater be safer than a diesel?
Exactly with a propane heater such as a Mr Buddy you add condensation to the interior, and you are breathing the exhaust so you have to keep you space ventilated. With a diesel heater such as the Chinese diesel heaters or the hunter diesel heater, The air that goes into and out of the combustion chamber never enters your space. It exhausts to a pipe going external through a high temperature gasket. Hot air that comes out of it is simply heated by the heating chamber and does not contain any of the exhaust from the combustion chamber as they are separate.

ToddJK

I don't mind a discussion and I know it's hard sometimes to tell the tone through text, but it's all good.

However, through the nature of this post and the system shown is my reasoning. Like you said, both do have byproducts, but depending on the system, can be safer or potentially be less safe. In the case of either having a fuel tank under the RV like is shown in this post vs a propane heater, Mr.Buddy, Coleman, take your pick, to me, it would just seem easier and safer to go the propane route. The tanks are easy to secure inside or even on the outside. Any sort of fuel tank can be dangerous if transported or not secured properly, but generally speaking, a propane tank can take more abuse than a plastic gas can or fuel tank. Both can explode under the right circumstances. Any heater source has the potential to be hazardous to some degree, but which system decreases possible hazards depends more so on the application it's being used for and the individuals system in which it operates. What I may do is not the same as you or someone else, I just gave an opinion, not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but for me and what I do and the way I do things, propane is the safer option.

If the heater in question was using the vehicles fuel from the vehicles supplied fuel tank or had a tank in a better location, I wouldn't even argue that at all. If you gave me the option of this (tank underneath like in the post) or propane, then I'd rather do propane. If I was building it and wanting to use diesel fuel, I would look for a better location for the fuel tank. I guess that's my main argument why I went with propane 🤷

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Not really relevant but....

My very first car (a 67 VW Squareback had a Stewart Warner gas-fired heater under the front hood. It had a little glowplug that ignited the fuel in an exchanger and the blower fan circulated it into the passenger compartment. The car came from Norway and the little heater worked crazy good. It functioned almost exactly as the little diesel units of today. But at the time I was warned to never use it because of the dangers of asphyxiation (that proved to be unfounded). Of course it still got used often on the winter surf days but I remember it always made me nervous.

My thing for the truck build is fuel type. I originally only wanted one fuel type onboard. But then I was given the propane stovetop and after trying it out I loved it compared to the electric top I tested. So I switched from an electric water heater to the more efficient propane version (couldn't find a diesel air/water heater that was within my budget). So that brings my heat solutions to 1) diesel, 2) electric, or 3) propane. Diesel just won out when I weighed all the pros/cons. But the OEM habitat heater was a) way to loud for sleeping, b) way overkill for my box. So I started looking at Webasto's (that I couldn't afford) and the little Chinese heaters came onto my radar. But unlike the OEM heater, I want the blower to run off 12 or 24v (*not 110v)

And if someone were carrying gasoline, some of the little heaters out there can fire off diesel or gasoline.

*but do NOT hang the fuel tank under the car where it will drag on the ground and catch road projectiles

;p

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I also use my surplus Batmobile engine (I have two) at the beach a lot. Just to dump a little warmth into the world of cold wet surfer chickies.

I've even considered trading one of my 60K btu units for a 30K btu unit for use on the truck, but these things certainly aren't quiet either. It would be easy to duct in from an external location, though. I love that these things spin up a little battery charger to be self contained. I bet I could even sort out a way to power it off the house or truck batteries (it only pulls juice when it spools up, then the charger maintains itself).

:)

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really relevant but....

My very first car (a 67 VW Squareback had a Stewart Warner gas-fired heater under the front hood. It had a little glowplug that ignited the fuel in an exchanger and the blower fan circulated it into the passenger compartment. The car came from Norway and the little heater worked crazy good. It functioned almost exactly as the little diesel units of today. But at the time I was warned to never use it because of the dangers of asphyxiation (that proved to be unfounded). Of course it still got used often on the winter surf days but I remember it always made me nervous.

My thing for the truck build is fuel type. I originally only wanted one fuel type onboard. But then I was given the propane stovetop and after trying it out I loved it compared to the electric top I tested. So I switched from an electric water heater to the more efficient propane version (couldn't find a diesel air/water heater that was within my budget). So that brings my heat solutions to 1) diesel, 2) electric, or 3) propane. Diesel just won out when I weighed all the pros/cons. But the OEM habitat heater was a) way to loud for sleeping, b) way overkill for my box. So I started looking at Webasto's (that I couldn't afford) and the little Chinese heaters came onto my radar. But unlike the OEM heater, I want the blower to run off 12 or 24v (*not 110v)

And if someone were carrying gasoline, some of the little heaters out there can fire off diesel or gasoline.

*but do NOT hang the fuel tank under the car where it will drag on the ground and catch road projectiles

;p
Well not really germane to the conversation, either.

My second vehicle I owned was a 1960 Chevrolet Corvair sedan with a gasoline heater in it. When I purchase it the heater did not work. I was able to remove and rebuild it. When in use It really heated the car really well, maybe to good. Although in the winter time, fuel mileage tanked. :LOL:
I wonder why they only put the gasoline heater in it for the first year of production? :unsure:

Now back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use my surplus Batmobile engine (I have two) at the beach a lot. Just to dump a little warmth into the world of cold wet surfer chickies.

I've even considered trading one of my 60K btu units for a 30K btu unit for use on the truck, but these things certainly aren't quiet either. It would be easy to duct in from an external location, though. I love that these things spin up a little battery charger to be self contained. I bet I could even sort out a way to power it off the house or truck batteries (it only pulls juice when it spools up, then the charger maintains itself).

:)

Isnt it alot more fun to look at the chickies when their COLD than when their warm ?????? Not all of you will get this !

coachgeo

..... Both have the combustion byproduct issue- either fuel's exhaust can asphyxiate you, so to me that's a wash. The diesel heater can be located outside the habitat,
actually putting it outside is unnecessary cause its fumes are already plumbed outside with proper installation while LP heaters do NOT pipe any combustion outside. Am in agreement with you..... the diesel ones are safer when considering the overall picture.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried messing with the original heater for a while in the M1010. It was way overkill for camping and I was just curious in getting it running. I finally gave up when it peed diesel everywhere. I ordered a Planar heater and saved a ton of space. It pulls off the second tank in the truck and by my best calculations on high could run for almost two weeks off the tank. Early December I slept in the truck and woke up to a 20* morning, the heater did it’s job and kept the interior at a thermostat controlled 60*. It cycled the fan to low when warm enough and back up when cooled off again. The fan from mine is almost like white noise and the pump clicking is starting to remind me of a grandfather clock. I'm extremely happy with how it works so far!

Attachments

Third From Texas

I tried messing with the original heater for a while in the M1010. It was way overkill for camping and I was just curious in getting it running. I finally gave up when it peed diesel everywhere. I ordered a Planar heater and saved a ton of space. It pulls off the second tank in the truck and by my best calculations on high could run for almost two weeks off the tank. Early December I slept in the truck and woke up to a 20* morning, the heater did it’s job and kept the interior at a thermostat controlled 60*. It cycled the fan to low when warm enough and back up when cooled off again. The fan from mine is almost like white noise and the pump clicking is starting to remind me of a grandfather clock. I'm extremely happy with how it works so far!
How many btu is your Planar?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fired up my M1010 heater in 20* weather. In about 10 minutes I was sweating. When they say it's rated for arctic conditions, they're not kidding. The amount of heat it put out, even on low, was too much.. The noise/amp draw was only a secondary reason for wanting to ditch it..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks