• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show Me Your Campers!

tamangel

Mikey, I'd be real interested in seeing your build blog on this..Always thought this type was the ultimate camper/truck mount..down for travel up for space..

always liked the unicats with this..too pricey though..

is Hi-Lo still in business..

Mike W

Bighurt

is Hi-Lo still in business..
No.

This article is from "Trailer Life" @ Trailerlife.com, written by Bob Ashley
Trailer Life, July 13, 2010

Ohio-based Hi-Lo's unique telescoping trailer
Hi-Lo Trailer Company Inc., Belleville, Ohio, a respected long-term player in the RV industry, has closed its doors.

In a July 6 letter to Hi-Lo dealers, President Jim Beveridge said shareholders ”have voted to liquidate the assets of the corporation and dissolve same, effective immediately.”

”In light of the current economic situation and the downturn in sales of recreational vehicles, Hi-Lo Trailer can no longer continue to operate,” the letter said.

Hi-Lo, the company that originally brought late Thor Industries Inc. chairman Wade F.B. Thompson, into the RV industry, manufactured a unique telescoping travel trailer that used a push button hydraulic system to automatically raise, lower and lock the top that fit over the lower portion of the trailer when in travel mode.

Hi-Low announced late last year that it had streamlined its 2010 product lineup to include four floorplans based on the Hi-Lo Classic.

The company was founded in 1955 as Snyder’s Hi-Lo Trailer Co. by the late Don Snyder, who engineered Hi-Lo’s basic design because he wanted a popup-like trailer that was safer to tow and had hard sides so that it could be used in the winter.

The company later passed to the founder’s son, Jim Snyder, who remained active in the company after selling it to New Zealand native Thompson, who came across Hi-Lo while working in marketing in New York City.

”I thought this was a neat little company with a great little balance sheet,” said Tompson, who had met Peter Orthwein, now Thor chairman, at a New York conference.

”I called him up and asked if he would help me finance this little company called Hi-Lo,” Thompson recalled in a 2002 interview with RVBusiness. ”He said he could get the financing, but he wanted to be a partner as well.

”We did the deal, and Oct. 28, 1977, we bought the company (and) for the next three years I commuted between New York where my family was — literally every week.”

Thompson ran Hi-Lo for three years before he and Orthwein acquired Airstream Inc. from Beatrice Foods, beginning to build Thor Industries into a national power.

Thompson and Orthwein owned Hi-Lo into the middle of this decade, before quietly selling the company in July 2003.

Efforts to reach Beveridge and recent Hi-Lo executives Jim Snyder and Larry Mills were unsuccessful.

You can still get parts though, and a new website suggests somethings in the works. They never went bankrupt, just closed.

Last edited:

Lextreme

Seats are from 2012 Honda odyssey with custom bracket made. I also installed 4 point seat belts. The M109 is registered at a Motor Home. Also note AC/Heat but not in the picture. Ipod hook up with wireless speakers. Interior LED lights power by 12V dual batteries with Chevy 350 alternator. I also have a 2000W inverter along with a cheapo Harbor Freight 3200W generator. The box has 12V, 24V, 110v and 220V. Computer and PS3 with 1080P TV for entertainment. Internet is provided by my smart phone hotspot. Ham radio in the box and CB in the cap.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks