• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M920 build thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
WHEW! At least you don’t have to change your shift pattern sticker now....
If I pull it back out it'll be to do an air assist hydraulic clutch.

But at the moment, had another freeze plug blow out middle head of course. One facing another head , of course. Side of the road fix with another head gasket.

Seems to be only the 3/4" plugs are what is blowing out it's odd. No hot Temps or anything.

I wonder if the head is lifting under high boost and putting pressure into the system. But it's only been 3/4" plugs so maybe bad tolerance?

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ended up pulling the middle head, replacing all the 3/4" plugs in it. Replaced the one in the front head facing rearward. I coated every freeze plug with Loctite retainer to keep them from blowing anymore out hopefully since it is blowing them just right out of the head whole.

A donkey from the swamp came up to lend a hand. Lucky place to break down was right across the street from summit racing. I had most of what I needed But needed a big torque wrench from them. Started putting the head back on about 3pm. Was rolling by 8. just takes longer to clean everything up for reassembly

Old plugs look fine. They are stamped 760 I am assuming .760, parts call for .750 plugs. Holes seem bigger.

May just bite the bullet and put bigger injectors in and 3 brand new recon heads I've got.

Attachments

Last edited:

ketsueki82

Haven't gotten much done. Mostly fixing body issues. Preparing for paint. I hate bondo. My idea of body work is a hammer
This is rare to see, glad I'm not the only one. An old family friend taught me body work and he hated to use bondo I watched him drill holes into a piece he couldn't access the other side and use a hardened steel L shaped rod with a T handle to pull it out from the inside. He then filled the drill holes with metal and sanded smooth. He may use a very light coat of bondo if the work was still noticeably uneven but it was maybe thick as construction paper at the deepest he usually only used it if there were slight creases that would show after painting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well the single speed Oshkosh 18000 unit that came in these trucks went out a month or so ago. Been piddling with other crap and hauling grain mostly while doing this.

Input bearing burned up on the 18000 probably due to when I had a bad rear transmission bearing and it just went out on its own.

So in checks the Oshkosh 55000 case. You need the original mounting brackets or just make some. Pretty simple I did this on my 923A5-3x6 model that yall remember. Some variant along those lines when I did that swap.

I ended up being able to use a bracket from a HEMTT I found on ebay for the passengers side mount to the frame. The original ones are mounted way too high on the frame. You need to remove them and lower the whole setup down. On the driver's side I used the mount that was on the original transfer case just turned it upside down and drilled it out to match the frame holes already there. Pretty simple. 1810 input joints and mounting allowed me to use the stock 920 jackshaft with a 5-324X joint to match the input. 1810 output yoke is the same as the 920 uses with the 5-324x just swap the 9c caps for 1810 caps. Shortened the driveshaft by 12 inches to a 48in center to face on the front tandem.

I removed the pusher axle completely. It wasn't really required. I could have modified the main cross bar a little but mine has a burned up spindle anyway so it had to come off regardless. A smaller unit could be used but I don't really even use it.

Added a battery box from an FLD120 and a smaller toolbox to the driver's side frame for storage.. I added a 125gal/45gal 28in diameter fuel/hydraulic tank combo to the passengers side. This will allow me to put the spare tire behind the cab in a modified 939 series tire mount in place of the hydraulic tank on the winch platform.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed a transfer case cooler to bring the Temps down some. Tried Rotella T1 40W per the TMs but temps were still a little high.

Went with mystik JP-8 synthetic 50weight and some new steel jacket hoses.

Will see how the Temps do now. Cooler is from a maxxpro so maybe it'll have enough flow.

Oil Change intervals do say 5000 miles so I'll change that out then and send it to a lab and know how to gauge future changes.

May just drain it and run it thru a 2 micron filter and put it back in if it's in good shape after 5k from the test results.

Attachments

AMgeneral3945

Haven't gotten much done. Mostly fixing body issues. Preparing for paint. I hate bondo. My idea of body work is a hammer

Picked up a new hood from Sargent Surplus near Louisville. Stupid heavy things.

445s are done on it.

Desplined a set of front drive flanges.

Installed temperature gauges for the engine oil, transfer case, and both rear axles.

Rebuilt the jackshaft.

Used a grease fitting rejuvenator on a few stuck ones.

Doing a 24v to 12v equalizer swap along with a 24v alternator.

Picked up a 13spd RTOO14613. Triple overdrive unit.
What rims did you use for the 445s?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not too much to report. Logged some miles. Only 3k last week. Went out west and back.

I've got a cab deterioration problem I need to address for the driver's front mount. I was able to use a longer bolt to go thru from the upper cab floor to reach the bottom. I am planning on an aluminum channel mount using All thread as a clamp. Then foam fill the inside of the cab where the issues are to reinforce it.

Got a new seat that was a end of the year special $1500 marked down to $700. Has a heater and cooling system in it.

I also finally got a chance to swap on the dual V type belt to keep the pesky alternator belts from stretching so easy. Part # 2/4591PB for those interested.

Had an oil leak on the plug on the block by the oil pump. Uses a copper gasket. Stupid design as you can't even get a 1/2" Allen head to it. It was fun to get out. Weird 7/8-18 thread size.

Fixed an oil leak on the front tandem pump and replaced the hoses with steel jacket.

Luckily I was able to spray it all with degreaser before I drove thru a monsoon last weekend. Was nice and clean to work on.

Future plans when I have time may be a hydraulic engine fan from the PLS units. And an HT4C turbo.

It doss pull pretty good they the Virgin River Gorge in Utah. Sitting at around 63,000lbs. Was nice and scenic.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@simp5782 Dude, you are 10 of the most interesting people I know. You talk about pulling heads on the side of the road like it's no big deal. You customize your trucks with the ease of a kid swapping pieces on a Mr. Potato Head toy.

I am very inspired by your independence and self sufficiency.
Maguyver sounds better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks