• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M920 build thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Operation " I need to leave crap alone " is underway.

There is a high demand for M916/920 rear axles obviously. So I sold the ones from my 920. Have a few RBUs laying around. Going to mate the RBU to the back of the 920.

Mk17 RBU is around 16ft long front to rear without the crane section.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that the bolt tp the truck section of the RBU can be removd from the RBU frame. None. I tried every which a way except dropping it from a C130. Cutting it in half doesn't work. Excavator would drag 60k with the RBu and it still wouldn't even shift the bolt holes. I gave up and cut the frame so I lost 2ft of the RBU frame.

RBU is 33 1/4in inside to inside on the frame. 11 5/8" top to bottom inside.

920 is 34 1/4" outside to outside to outside with the double frame. Inside frame itself is 33 1/4* outer side to outside. 920 frame is 11 1/2" tall top to bottom. So....

The plan is to cut the outer frame on the outside part cutting down the top and bottom off the frame to keep its height at 11 1/2" and leave the inside frame at its width.

Then slide the 920 frame into the RBu frame. I have 6ft of RBU frame till I get into the 2 rear air tanks. They aren't really needed so I may yank them anyway.

From the 920 center brace to the rear of the truck without the roller is 108in so basically 9ft.

So it will come into the frame that fat leaving 3 ft from the RBU frame stopping and the center of the cross brace.

I will leave the X brace in the middle of the 920 frame for reinforcement to the frame IF I can

I am going to be adding a 3rd rear drive/lift axle using the Hendrickson long arm air ride from the HET.

Axle will be able to be raised and lowered and allow power thru it when not in use. If it's needed drop it down and engage the power divider or locker.

Mk48 axles are massive Eaton types. 5.43 ratio. They use a parabolic 3 spring 58k rear suspension. They use a 5 ft spread on the axles as well center to center meaning more drive axle weight.

Will be using a front discharge cement mixer front axle to swap in with a 5.54 ratio as it is the same exact axle as the current only a little heavier rated.

Basically adding 5 ft of frame to the 920 is all. Maybe 6 depending on a few other things.

Hoping to bench the inner frame to the RBU so it can just be bolted of the course of that 6ft of overlap. To help it out.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Haven't done much in the past few months but I took the time to get it somewhat together and leveled off sitting the same at the engine bay at the connection point and at the rear. Close enough.

There is a 6ft of frame overlap. Basically the full length of the inner frame of the 920 is inside the MK48 frame.

I am going to bolt it together. The gap under the inner frame between the mk48 frame will be filled with solid bar that will overlap into the front 920 frame and be bolted to the bottom flange of the whole thing.

I will weld the 2 frames together some point even though it will be bolted enough with the X frame to not matter.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks