• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So i bought a Deuce

rustystud

Truck drove great! I did have a little bounce at 40mph but that dissappeared at about 43mph and drove smooth at 50mph.

Any distinct reason for a slight bounce like that at that speed?

Your tires could be bouncing at that speed. Since most truck tires are not balanced they can have issues at different speeds.
There are products you can add to the tire that will help with balancing issues. Some have tried with some success to add golf-balls to the inside of the tire. I personally like the flowing "Slime" that helps balance the tire.

mattchef10

Truck drove great! I did have a little bounce at 40mph but that dissappeared at about 43mph and drove smooth at 50mph.

Any distinct reason for a slight bounce like that at that speed?

Your tires could be bouncing at that speed. Since most truck tires are not balanced they can have issues at different speeds.
There are products you can add to the tire that will help with balancing issues. Some have tried with some success to add golf-balls to the inside of the tire. I personally like the flowing "Slime" that helps balance the tire.
Thank you for the insite! I have read a ton of your posts and they are very informative. Free BBQ for you sir!

Eliteweapons

If any of you guys find the truck ill take care of you.

@tobys would love to see some pics?

Man the truck was fun to drive. I felt like it drove well but with that being said i feel like there is so much work to do aswell.

There was a little grease on the left front axel.
Looked like some moisture on the injector lines.
Fuel gauge not working.
Rear tailight needs replaced.
Cab needs to be sealed up better.
Possible 4 new tires.

Let the fun begin. But i get to cook and eat while fixing things. Free food to anyone who helps getting things fixed.

Is the fuel gauge reading but incorrect or just not moving? When I got my truck it was reading incorrectly so I ordered a new sending unit. When I took the old one out I found the reason it was reading incorrectly is because the resistor was covered in algae. I installed the new sending unit anyway but you may be able to clean that off and not replace the sending unit if that's the issue. Just pull out the sending unit and inspect it. The floats also break off as well so you may find that rolling around inside the tank.

mattchef10

Is the fuel gauge reading but incorrect or just not moving? When I got my truck it was reading incorrectly so I ordered a new sending unit. When I took the old one out I found the reason it was reading incorrectly is because the resistor was covered in algae. I installed the new sending unit anyway but you may be able to clean that off and not replace the sending unit if that's the issue. Just pull out the sending unit and inspect it. The floats also break off as well so you may find that rolling around inside the tank.
Thanks for the advice ill take a look at that! The gauge is all over the place. It will go to full when i fill the tank and go down to 3/4 at some point then it will go back up to full and bounce around between 3/4 and full even when lower at half a tank or less.

This is the first time i actually have to truck at my home location since i purchased it. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work i want to get done.

Im making two lists. One is work i can do the other is work i will have to source out to a mechanic.

mattchef10

Just starting to get some parts in so no updates on things that have been done to the truck but... I have been doing some smoking! Enjoy!

Opions on either installing a new airpack that came with the truck or selling and using the money for other things i need done now. Was told my brakes were done right before i bought the truck but i havent been able to get in there to confirm.
20161105_075001.jpg
20161105_135321.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg
IMG_22401.jpg
IMG_22351.jpg
IMG_22381.jpg
And some other pics from the restaurant im working at.

rustystud

Just starting to get some parts in so no updates on things that have been done to the truck but... I have been doing some smoking! Enjoy!

Opions on either installing a new airpack that came with the truck or selling and using the money for other things i need done now. Was told my brakes were done right before i bought the truck but i havent been able to get in there to confirm.
View attachment 653123
View attachment 653124
View attachment 653125
View attachment 653126
View attachment 653127
View attachment 653128
View attachment 653129
And some other pics from the restaurant im working at.
OK, now you just made me hungry ! I was so hungry I forgot to mention the fuel gauge problem !
The sender on these deuces can get corroded so bad they will never read correctly again. You probably just need to replace it with a nice NOS unit. There are plenty out there.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The chow looks killer!
Sorry, was going to read what you wrote but stared at food instead.
OK, now you just made me hungry ! I was so hungry I forgot to mention the fuel gauge problem !
The sender on these deuces can get corroded so bad they will never read correctly again. You probably just need to replace it with a nice NOS unit. There are plenty out there.
Can we make a reservation, please:

- "Steel Soldiers"; party of three.

And can you save some room at the table? We like to get together, and there's going to be more for sure.

dining.jpg

Last edited:

mattchef10

Thanks for the kind words guys! Im working hard to make this happen.

Its obviously not legal to serve food off the truck. If you start from the beginning of the thread you would see that im in the middle of the conversion and still have to enclose the entire back of the truck to a "screened in porch". All of my fabrication is being planned an costed out it wont be until feb/march till that work is started/completed. I apperciatte the concern though.

I am smoking meats on the truck and selling them out of a licesned establishment. Which is totally legal. I have done way to much research at this point i have driven myself to buy a deuce an install a smoker on it.

Right now i am doing some smoke an wind with the truck an making seem like im actually cooking on it everyday. The truck has been great advertisement to lead people to our spot and grab some good foods. So in short the truck is out front loaded with wood smoking like a champ bringing that good smell an we are reheating up smoked foods in the oven. No harm no foul just not doing it daily.

20161110_145610.jpg20161110_145632.jpg

Last edited:

randygk

Whoa, it's a joke son. Your presentation is far superior to anything expected out of an old smelly (yes, all the deuce cabs have a particular smell), oily, probably rusty truck that served all those that served. My fondness for military vehicles and food would be a natural and I'd line up for some of your feast.
Carry on, I rest my case

mattchef10

Whoa, it's a joke son. Your presentation is far superior to anything expected out of an old smelly (yes, all the deuce cabs have a particular smell), oily, probably rusty truck that served all those that served. My fondness for military vehicles and food would be a natural and I'd line up for some of your feast.
Carry on, I rest my case
Geez sorry guy! Its always hard to see the intranet sarcasm :/ ive been in so many BBQ forums and trying to research the **** out my foods, some of those guys are so BBQ snobby an rude its crazy. I forget what a great bunch of helpful guys you are! My appologies!

Free lunch for you if you can find the truck here in Lecanto!

randygk

No problemo, living in California I'm always asking my wife "is this legal?" when I have a burrito with a piece of pizza or put hot sauce on popcorn. Good luck on your venture.

Another Ahab

Geez sorry guy! Its always hard to see the intranet sarcasm :/ ive been in so many BBQ forums and trying to research the **** out my foods, some of those guys are so BBQ snobby an rude its crazy. I forget what a great bunch of helpful guys you are! My appologies!

Free lunch for you if you can find the truck here in Lecanto!
Now there's a deal a person can get behind!

searching.jpg

Last edited:

mattchef10

Truck has been resting for a bit but ive got a bunch of work done!

New alternator
New master cylinder
New short airpack
New belts and hoses
New brake cylinders all the way around
New wheel bearings

Also the conversion to food truck has begun. Here are some pics. Enjoy!20170517_171849.jpg20170517_171831_001.jpg20170517_171700.jpg170519_100637_24.jpg170519_100637_23.jpg170519_100637_22.jpg170519_100637_21.jpg

tobyS

Truck has been resting for a bit but ive got a bunch of work done!

New alternator
New master cylinder
New short airpack
New belts and hoses
New brake cylinders all the way around
New wheel bearings

Also the conversion to food truck has begun. Here are some pics. Enjoy!View attachment 681085View attachment 681086View attachment 681087View attachment 681089View attachment 681090View attachment 681091View attachment 681092
That is a lot of work! I'd rather enjoy a smoked brisket but will settle for pictures.

I have the perfect piece to pull behind it, a large cast iron flask that weighs 1500#. Cast lets the infrared heat of a wood fire transmit through, giving great flavors . It's on a dually truck rear end with a dropped down work area and can be wood fired from outside or inside. I build a fire under it and do things like seafood boil or cooked 18 dozen ears of corn by super-heating and then putting water it (about burned myself on HOT steam). Chili slow cooked over a wood fire in it is really good. I had the trailer titled, so plating is easy too.

Have you fired your new cooker yet and where will you go, to festivals and the like?

My daughter is a tourism major in college. It might be cool to start a uber-like database of mobile vending with persons like yourself, ready and set up to do vending for events.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks