• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So i bought a Deuce

mattchef10

That is a lot of work! I'd rather enjoy a smoked brisket but will settle for pictures.

I have the perfect piece to pull behind it, a large cast iron flask that weighs 1500#. Cast lets the infrared heat of a wood fire transmit through, giving great flavors . It's on a dually truck rear end with a dropped down work area and can be wood fired from outside or inside. I build a fire under it and do things like seafood boil or cooked 18 dozen ears of corn by super-heating and then putting water it (about burned myself on HOT steam). Chili slow cooked over a wood fire in it is really good. I had the trailer titled, so plating is easy too.

Have you fired your new cooker yet and where will you go, to festivals and the like?

My daughter is a tourism major in college. It might be cool to start a uber-like database of mobile vending with persons like yourself, ready and set up to do vending for events.
I feel like there is more work and headaches to come! The rear framework with roof and side flaps should be finished today, then off to the paint shop tomorrow or Monday. I'll try to get some pics up once it's all finished this week.

Trying to visualize your cooker, would love to see some pics if you have any.

Don't have any food **** for you right now, but I've fired the smoker up about 30 times. Been cooking briskets, ribs, pork butt and chicken thighs. All have exceeded expectations! Been cooking with cherry wood since its available from a local vendor, really mellow sweet smoke flavor.

There are a few apps out there right now similar to what your talking about. I was running a food truck and catering company in Atlanta. I researched using them but we were so busy without it, not sure if it was really needed. Most areas have a food truck coalition or organization that you can join and they set up all the events and rotate trucks in. I'm sure all regions of the country are different. There is nothing setup where I'm located now. I'm hoping to get in early and build my evil empire!

mattchef10

Got a question for you guys. In the past when i drove the truck i have been able to get up to 51mph. I would get a slow decline in speed if going up a steep grade.

Fast forward to today. She was sluggish in 4th and woould slow down entering 5th. Barely stay at 42 and die going up small hills. There was no power at all.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a question for you guys. In the past when i drove the truck i have been able to get up to 51mph. I would get a slow decline in speed if going up a steep grade.

Fast forward to today. She was sluggish in 4th and woould slow down entering 5th. Barely stay at 42 and die going up small hills. There was no power at all.
From my reading, the first thing I'd check would be the park brake. One of the several springs could have broken and then the park brake would be dragging, robbing you of power, not to mention creating a lot of heat and damaging itself.

The next is:
  • Checking/changing fuel filters
  • Crud in the fuel tank?
  • Crushed or leaking fuel lines?
    • The hard fuel line leading from the primary fuel filter runs under the front frame crossmember and is prone to being crushed.
    • Also, the plastic fuel lines leading from the secondary fuel filters to the injection pump like to rub through on each other - I had to replace mine last year from just that
  • Failed in-tank lift pump?
    • This is usually noticeable if the truck becomes harder to start. In a quiet environment (i.e.: no low air pressure buzzer), you should be able to hear the in-tank pump running when the Accessory Power lever is toggled on, but even if it IS running, it could have other issues like a deteriorated hose on the pump, clogged screen etc.
  • Unfortunately the list goes on and on... such as you could have a service brake with a broken return spring (or out of adjustment) and that could be dragging. Feeling your hubs (or use an infrared temperature sensor) after a drive would help find HOT hubs with brake or bearing problems.
  • Here's one I've had: A failed air-pack. What happened is that it wouldn't fully release pressure on the brakes. Each use of the brake pedal would cause the brakes to drag a little, and a little more, until I couldn't move in 1st high on flat ground (it'd kill the engine). The temporary fix is to relieve the pressure by bleeding one of the brakes in the rear-most axle (hot fluid will jettison out). This is sketchy as you don't want to run your master cylinder dry - it's a pain to check and fill, hopefully you've added a remote brake fluid reservoir. This issue was noticeable to me very quickly around-town.

Apologies, I haven't read your whole thread yet to see if any of the above are items you might have already addressed recently.

Last edited:

mattchef10

From my reading, the first thing I'd check would be the park brake. One of the several springs could have broken and then the park brake would be dragging, robbing you of power, not to mention creating a lot of heat and damaging itself.

The next is:
  • Checking/changing fuel filters
  • Crud in the fuel tank?
  • Crushed or leaking fuel lines?
    • The hard fuel line leading from the primary fuel filter runs under the front frame crossmember and is prone to being crushed.
    • Also, the plastic fuel lines leading from the secondary fuel filters to the injection pump like to rub through on each other - I had to replace mine last year from just that
  • Failed in-tank lift pump?
    • This is usually noticeable if the truck becomes harder to start. In a quiet environment (i.e.: no low air pressure buzzer), you should be able to hear the in-tank pump running when the Accessory Power lever is toggled on, but even if it IS running, it could have other issues like a deteriorated hose on the pump, clogged screen etc.
  • Unfortunately the list goes on and on... such as you could have a service brake with a broken return spring (or out of adjustment) and that could be dragging. Feeling your hubs (or use an infrared temperature sensor) after a drive would help find HOT hubs with brake or bearing problems.
  • Here's one I've had: A failed air-pack. What happened is that it wouldn't fully release pressure on the brakes. Each use of the brake pedal would cause the brakes to drag a little, and a little more, until I couldn't move in 1st high on flat ground (it'd kill the engine). The temporary fix is to relieve the pressure by bleeding one of the brakes in the rear-most axle (hot fluid will jettison out). This is sketchy as you don't want to run your master cylinder dry - it's a pain to check and fill, hopefully you've added a remote brake fluid reservoir. This issue was noticeable to me very quickly around-town.

Apologies, I haven't read your whole thread yet to see if any of the above are items you might have already addressed recently.
Thanks! I'll give it a good look as soon as i get a chance.

Here are some more pics!
20170523_180958.jpg
20170523_181021.jpg
20170523_181035.jpg
20170523_181038.jpg

mattchef10

Got some more work done. Back door frame is up. Last roof panel installed with smoke stacks extended through the roof. Everything will be "screened in" i ordered all the tracks for the screen. That should be here monday. Ill try to post up some more pics here soon. 20170803_182900.jpg
20170803_182846.jpg

Another Ahab

Got some more work done. Back door frame is up. Last roof panel installed with smoke stacks extended through the roof. Everything will be "screened in" i ordered all the tracks for the screen. That should be here monday. Ill try to post up some more pics here soon. View attachment 693225
So that smoker is going to "live" permanently in the box?

Can't tell but is that pipe stack already cut through the roof panel?

mattchef10

So that smoker is going to "live" permanently in the box?

Can't tell but is that pipe stack already cut through the roof panel?
Yes its stuck in there. The smoker weighs in at about 950#. I hope to never have to move it!

And yes the stack is through the roof. Sticks about 4" above the roof.
20170803_211929.jpg

Added pic of the connection between roof an stacks.

Last edited:

mattchef10

Have a alot going on with the truck this week! Here is a short list of bigger projects with a ton of small things i wont bore you with.
Generator box is being installed.
Roof over hang in the back of truck being finished.
Extrusion and screen install
All electric will be added
Logos being designed an put on the truck
Just got in a few pieces of equipment. 4 compartment sink, 2 refrigerated units, alto shaam.
Only took a few pics today. I need to do some more painting and finishing ill add more as progress continues. Let me know what you guys think.

20170816_183755.jpg
output.jpg
20170816_095539.jpg
20170816_095554.jpg

mattchef10

More work getting done every day! Truck is now entirely screened in. Still waiting to get generator and all electrical installed, finish sliding window(you can see the missing section in the pics), poles to hold flaps out and a ton of smaller things. Really getting close to 100% though.
20170830_105746.jpg
20170830_105608.jpg
20170830_105620.jpg
20170830_105651.jpg
20170830_105717.jpg

mattchef10

Got a few more things done here.
Installed generator
Ran the electrical
Added some logos
Service window is finished
Most of the kitchen equipment is on

Few more things todo but its getting really close now. A few weeks left and will be a finished.

20171010_184313.jpg
20171010_184304.jpg
20171010_184240.jpg
20171010_183801.jpg
20171010_183739.jpg
20171010_183723.jpg
20171010_183631.jpg
20171010_181950.jpg

Another Ahab

​Great set-up!

What does "BBQ" mean when people use the word down in Florida:

- Are you going to be doing pork, or brisket, or BOTH?!

Last edited:

mattchef10

​Great set-up!

What does "BBQ" mean when people use the word down in Florida:

- Are you going to be doing pork, or brisket, or BOTH?!
I hate to say I do my own thing but people seem to generalize the term "BBQ" with meats drenched in sweet brown sauce and that is not what I'm trying to do. I have cooked about 10k #'s of brisket and pork over the last few years but mostly in convection ovens in commercial kitchens. I'm trying to translate everything I've learned about the meats into the mobile food game and using the smoker as a lone cooking device.

My truck is totally purpose built. I went with the smoker to get around having to have a hood system with an ansul system, there is a little bit of extra money saved there maybe 5k or so. I'm not cooking "ala carte" per se, but more of hot holding to reduce wait times in order to get as many people through the line as fast as possible. In short I'm using the term "BBQ" so I'm easily recognizable to a certain food and it allows me to be creative, but still in line with items that everyone knows brisket, pork, etc...

Here are some samples of menu items I will be serving at a private event:
Beef Brisket Tacos w Smoked Tomato Salsa
Jerk Chicken Sliders w Citrus Slaw
Citrus Smoked Pork Sliders w Spicy Aioli
Smoked Cheddar Mac n Cheese
House Made Kim Chi
Smoked Salmon Dip

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the hobby. That truck looks great. It actually has the same colour scheme as my old deuce I bought in the Netherlands years ago. (It's 'done the rounds' and is now (acquired)) back with us again.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you considered a food vending set-up using an MKT-99 or other Mobile Kitchen Trailer???
They have ALL your cooking set-up in place, are lower to the ground, and also have fold-down serving walkways attached. (NON handicap ADA accessible, but your server could step down for that accommodation.)

They are often available on the common Goobermit Auction Sites.
KitchenTrailer1s.jpgKitchenTrailer2s.jpgKitchenTrailer3s.jpgKitchenTrailer4s.jpg Just in case you change your mind. Here are a couple of pics of an MKT-99 (Mobile Kitchen Trailer). I'm sure a smoker will fit in there.......somewhere. They also pull good behind a Deuce.

Last edited:

mattchef10

Had my eye on the MKT-99 for a while now. My thinking is to gut it out and use it as a mobile buffet line with hot food on one side and cold on the other. I haven't been able to see one in person yet so I'm just going by what I've seen in images. I'm sure the possibilities are endless!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gawddarnit. I had to look at your pretty pictures and then read about what you are cooking. It is quarter past ten at night here and I am f****n starving. Now my stomach growls and I'm thinking of brisket. Thanks a bunch! ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks