• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a M1070, now maybe I should learn something about them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those main winches have a 55,000 pound single line pull - each. If my days as a recovery vehicle operator aren’t too fuzzy that means With a 2:1 block & tackle (minus friction, etc) each winch can pull approximately 110,000 pounds each for a total of 220,000.

If both winches work as they should, and if you include as much of the parts that go with each winch, I would not sell those winches for less than $7,000 each - unless you are feeling extremely generous.

I suggest investing some time searching for owner groups or a business (heavy equipment transport companies) and showcasing your winches. I can tell you that the Army often contracts out for independent operators to haul M1’s & other BIG stuff from main post to training areas. Fort Carson and Pinion Canyon Maneuver Site in Colorado is one example.
That payout winch has a couple uses but it is primarily used to pull that big main cable to & back from what’s being loaded. At a 2:1 advantage that winch cable pull in 5 tons. Consider 3 or 4:1 advantage….

If it were ME, I would try to sell them as a set with a starting price of around $18,000 to $20,000. You can always go down in price later if you need to. Think about what that amount of money could fund for your project!
I've got about 8 pairs of winches I've had for sale for 3yrs. You should point me in the direction of these people who want them? They don't. They are just too much winch really. Especially with the 1inch cable.

It's always people who don't have them to sell that want to tell others what something is worth cause of what it came off of.

I get 2500 for the 45k 916 winches and that is lucky.

I downgraded to Swedge 3/4 to 5/8 cable that has the same capacity as 1 inch.

Last edited:

INFChief

I've got about 8 pairs of winches I've had for sale for 3yrs. You should point me in the direction of these people who want them? They don't. They are just too much winch really. Especially with the 1inch cable.

It's always people who don't have them to sell that want to tell others what something is worth cause of what it came off of.

Maybe he will market them differently or reach out to a different group of potential uses than you did?

Why so “grumpy” all the while? Glass half-full and keep yer chin up!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Maybe he will market them differently or reach out to a different group of potential uses than you did?

Why so “grumpy” all the while? Glass half-full and keep yer chin up!
Because you have generally have no clue what you are talking about in things you type here about a HET.

So I'll use the ignore feature.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest you keep the center of gravity of the new water tank centered right over the original 5th wheel pin location. These trucks get squirrely when the weight is too far back. The winch platform has to go or the tank will be too small.

Worldsworstfish

You would benefit from the truck more as a tender/tractor. Mount you a 2500gal tank on it between the cab and the 3rd axle. Then mount you a 5th wheel in the middle of axle 3/4 to pull the 5000 or 7500gal HEIL tanker.
The way tenders operate we stay well away from the fire and fill engines as they come out. Roads we operate on are usually gravel and narrow. A trailer is not an option. Even this truck will be limited at times for access most tenders are under 4000 gallons with a lot at 2500.

Worldsworstfish

Suggest you keep the center of gravity of the new water tank centered right over the original 5th wheel pin location. These trucks get squirrely when the weight is too far back. The winch platform has to go or the tank will be too small.
Yes that is the plan, once I find out the actual weight of winches that will be removed I will have a better idea of the design of the tank. We want to keep center of gravity as low as possible. Found plenty of information for center of gravity etc for the truck from factory. So will be able to design tank that keeps everything balanced. Water trucks have a bad habit of tipping over so need to design it right. It’s not like we can just through on any tank and go, though I have seen that. A good example is the truck that is pictured earlier in this thread. Just looking at it looks too heavy. Quality over quantity is more important

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The way tenders operate we stay well away from the fire and fill engines as they come out. Roads we operate on are usually gravel and narrow. A trailer is not an option. Even this truck will be limited at times for access most tenders are under 4000 gallons with a lot at 2500.
A trailer is such an option. The rear steer of the HETs makes it pretty maneuver. Even carrying a pintle trailer with extra water is better than what you have.

I had zero problems getting around on western Montana roads with old 5tons and trailers for years. Just knock down a few trees if needed

You have obviously never seen what the HET and m1000 can do.

Worldsworstfish

So

Do you have any idea what the winches and cables weigh. That is the thing I need most at this time. Thanks.

I am getting the feeling that they are bound for scrap yard.Two reasons they can grab them right off the truck and two I don’t need the lawn art while trying to sell them. I run water tenders, never been much of a salesman.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So

Do you have any idea what the winches and cables weigh. That is the thing I need most at this time. Thanks.

I am getting the feeling that they are bound for scrap yard.Two reasons they can grab them right off the truck and two I don’t need the lawn art while trying to sell them. I run water tenders, never been much of a salesman.
In the 3500 4000lb range

Worldsworstfish

A trailer is such an option. The rear steer of the HETs makes it pretty maneuver. Even carrying a pintle trailer with extra water is better than what you have.

I had zero problems getting around on western Montana roads with old 5tons and trailers for years. Just knock down a few trees if needed

You have obviously never seen what the HET and m1000 can do.
I have been operating water tenders, engines, sink trailers, potable water trucks, bladder trucks, and grey water trucks since 1987 for fires as a contractor. Have been on fires in 26 states. We currently run 12 tenders, so this is not my first rodeo. When I say that trailers are not an option I am speaking from a level of experience. I came on here to find out specific information about this truck. I appreciate that you want to be helpful but the trailer stuff just isn’t an option.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have been operating water tenders, engines, sink trailers, potable water trucks, bladder trucks, and grey water trucks since 1987 for fires as a contractor. Have been on fires in 26 states. We currently run 12 tenders, so this is not my first rodeo. When I say that trailers are not an option I am speaking from a level of experience. I came on here to find out specific information about this truck. I appreciate that you want to be helpful but the trailer stuff just isn’t an option.
In my opinion you shouldn't be operating a HET then. They are mechanically quite pieces of crap which you will find out soon enough.

Something with more reliability with ease of parts acquisition is a much better choice.

Worldsworstfish

5th wheel is around 900lbs.

Ramps are light like manageable by hand.

@country may be interested in the winches and plate.
Thank you, ramps look beefy surprised at that but that works. With that now I can model the weight distribution for the truck pretty well, and come up with a realistic capacity. Appreciate the help.

Now I would like to open up another can of worms. Diagnostic work for engine transmission etc. is this a standard plug it etc that the heavy truck shop will have or am I going to have to find some special equipment for this?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you, ramps look beefy surprised at that but that works. With that now I can model the weight distribution for the truck pretty well, and come up with a realistic capacity. Appreciate the help.

Now I would like to open up another can of worms. Diagnostic work for engine transmission etc. is this a standard plug it etc that the heavy truck shop will have or am I going to have to find some special equipment for this?
Its standard truck stuff

Worldsworstfish

In my opinion you shouldn't be operating a HET then. They are mechanically quite pieces of crap which you will find out soon enough.

Something with more reliability with ease of parts acquisition is a much better choice.
Sometimes you just want to build something that is different. Sometimes a friend buys something and medical issues he needs some cash and has a crazy truck sitting in the garage. Sometimes it good to rack your brain and push yourself to do something different, make something that forces you to learn. Sometimes you hurt someone’s feelings on the internet and they lash out. Sometime you have to say sorry I hurt your feelings but what you where offering wasn’t relative to this thread and I tried explaining that. Sometimes you through good money after bad but if nothing else t will sure look cool in parades if nothing else.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sometimes you just want to build something that is different. Sometimes a friend buys something and medical issues he needs some cash and has a crazy truck sitting in the garage. Sometimes it good to rack your brain and push yourself to do something different, make something that forces you to learn. Sometimes you hurt someone’s feelings on the internet and they lash out. Sometime you have to say sorry I hurt your feelings but what you where offering wasn’t relative to this thread and I tried explaining that. Sometimes you through good money after bad but if nothing else t will sure look cool in parades if nothing else.
I guess some folks just buy stuff cause they are too dumb to do their homework before hand. We see that alot here with titling issues mostly.

You know why you don't see em cause it's a bad idea. There arent any sitting on state forestry lots for a reason.

There is a reason all m916a3s that are released are in the hands of forestry and fire departments and very few in civilian hands.

Just saying. Stupid has money & obviously should learn the hard way. So I'll use that ignore feature

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes (simp5782) might be having a bad day. The HET can function as a water tender, don't worry. He is right though about the 1070 being kinda a piece of crap. They have the DDEC electronic control which probably should have never been put on a 1930's design engine. Engine access is awful. Electrical system is a confused mess. But you will become familiar with all the shortcomings and be able to use this rig to protect lives and property as we are seeing on the news every night that wildfires are getting way out of hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks