• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a M1070, now maybe I should learn something about them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes (simp5782) might be having a bad day. The HET can function as a water tender, don't worry. He is right though about the 1070 being kinda a piece of crap. They have the DDEC electronic control which probably should have never been put on a 1930's design engine. Engine access is awful. Electrical system is a confused mess. But you will become familiar with all the shortcomings and be able to use this rig to protect lives and property as we are seeing on the news every night that wildfires are getting way out of hand.
Not having a bad day. That was yesterday dealing with Bret's crap in the humid muggy heat in grass as tall as me.

There is a reason they put lifting eyee on top of the cab. It's about a 90min job but it's designed to come off for that design flaw of access to the engine.

INFChief

Wes (simp5782) might be having a bad day. The HET can function as a water tender, don't worry. He is right though about the 1070 being kinda a piece of crap. They have the DDEC electronic control which probably should have never been put on a 1930's design engine. Engine access is awful. Electrical system is a confused mess. But you will become familiar with all the shortcomings and be able to use this rig to protect lives and property as we are seeing on the news every night that wildfires are getting way out of hand.
His attitude is pretty crappy & his deportment towards fellow forum members is certainly not collegiate.

WildernessJeep

Yah, so I accidentally just bought one of these monsters, too. I have no idea why and it'll cost me more to get it here than my 5-ton cost. No idea what Imma do with it, but it'll sit nicely along next to my Peterbilt and other stuff I don't use. Maybe this is the cry for help my family has been waiting for.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yah, so I accidentally just bought one of these monsters, too. I have no idea why and it'll cost me more to get it here than my 5-ton cost. No idea what Imma do with it, but it'll sit nicely along next to my Peterbilt and other stuff I don't use. Maybe this is the cry for help my family has been waiting for.
Ah, you know... We buy them cuz we need them of course!
Maybe yours will crank and run. That will get you motivated to fix whatever else it needs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Attachments

WildernessJeep

Ugh. Check with San Antonio Truck & Equipment, they might have a cab.
I think I was misunderstood. My truck has a cab (pic below). I only posted a picture of another truck with the cab removed for demonstrative purposes, showing how lucky I am that the cab was NOT removed.

Attachments

Ajax MD

His attitude is pretty crappy & his deportment towards fellow forum members is certainly not collegiate.
I strongly disagree. While economical with his words, Wes has provided more accurate information here and via YT "how-to" videos than most members here. He's busy, he runs a business. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and he's not here to provide "validation" for people's bad ideas. Not everyone is fun and cuddly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I strongly disagree. While economical with his words, Wes has provided more accurate information here and via YT "how-to" videos than most members here. He's busy, he runs a business. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and he's not here to provide "validation" for people's bad ideas. Not everyone is fun and cuddly.
Honesty sucks. They are a nightmare to work on. Anything on the motor requires pulling the cab or the fenders at the very least. No transmission access.

3 air dryers which is a massively stupid idea as you can only access 1.

Dual air compressors and dual steering units off the back of the motor means you cant even get the transmission out without pulling the motor.

No bolts on the driver's inner frame rail are accessible due to the steering lines and linkage for the rear steering

The axles are weak, very weak in fact.

Transfer cases are reliable. Transmissions are reliable. Axles not soo much.

Only GOOD thing is that pulling the cab, motor and transmission is a one person job in about 5hrs EXCEPT for the 2 front motor mount bolts which you have to have help with.

People who have never been around one, turned a wrench on one have no clue what they are dealing with.

The rear of the transmission pic is after the winch platform was off and the transfer case was removed. Only then could you even see it.

Attachments

Last edited:

WildernessJeep

Does someone have a photo of the M1070 battery bay? They delivered my HET with two small car batteries, and I want to put in four military sized batteries, but can't figure out the wiring from the manuals. They have three small feeder wires (18xx, 12xx, and a third), but don't see those in the manual either. Would someone mind snapping a picture of their battery box correctly wired for me?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does someone have a photo of the M1070 battery bay? They delivered my HET with two small car batteries, and I want to put in four military sized batteries, but can't figure out the wiring from the manuals. They have three small feeder wires (18xx, 12xx, and a third), but don't see those in the manual either. Would someone mind snapping a picture of their battery box correctly wired for me?
I don't own one - but if you have a battery box top - you might find a wiring diagram inside the "lid" (top).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Where you are in Texas you are fine with 2 group 31s.

Get Duracell from batteries plus. Their agm group 31s have a 4yr free replacement warranty

WildernessJeep

WildernessJeep

Two questions:

What goes in the round circle on the front left of the hood? It looks like it might have been a blackout drive light or something, but they changed it at the last minute?

What goes in the baskets on top of the winches? I was thinking chock blocks or snatch blocks, but don't see them being strong enough or convenient for either.

See attached pictures with red circles regarding my questions.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Two questions:

What goes in the round circle on the front left of the hood? It looks like it might have been a blackout drive light or something, but they changed it at the last minute?

What goes in the baskets on top of the winches? I was thinking chock blocks or snatch blocks, but don't see it being strong enough or convenient for either.

See attached pictures with red circles regarding my questions.
Wooden chock blocks go in the basket for winching purposes is when they are used

It's for a blackout light but hardly any got them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks