• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So....what do you guys exactly do with these trucks???

zout

I only have one to pull folks out that get stuck in my back yard in the Georgia red ooze. Just looks pretty sitting here in between times.
Other than that I have no clue as why its there - I do loose tract of it at times because the camo makes it disapear at times. Then all I do
is look for animal figures that look like camo & wa la - I found it.

welldigger

Just read my signature. But I love off road vehicles to be perfectly honest and there's nothing better than hauling my 4 wheeler which I easily have 4 times as much money invested to the ATV park. Or heading out to the gun range...that always starts a conversation.

Moto4Life

I use mine for fun. Plain and simple. I know fun is a very broad answer, but what you can do with these trucks to have fun includes a very wide range of things, as you can see by all the different posts in this thread. So far, I've used my deuce as an RTI ramp (to measure articulation on my friends rock crawler), to haul my friends toyota pickup around town in the bed, to take my dirtbikes to the desert, to go hill climbing, to do burnouts (yes, it is possible), and I've used it for hauling gravel and things of that nature. Oh, and I've also used it to straighten out one of my rolling gates that got bent. Check out the "Uses for Deuces" thread if you haven't already.

wb1895

You never really knew you needed one until, yours breaks and you have to go without for a few weeks.

In other words Once you get one you will wonder how you ever lived without it

doolest

Well I do hunt and we use ours were we hunt...we use it to haul people out to the stands, feed to the feeders, wood back to the hunting lodge...we were considering a jeep or another polaris....but our M923 including freight cost us about $5k...we can't get either of the other 2 for that...plus I bet our 1986 m923 will out last the other 2 many times over...plus is sure is cool when we decide we want to go over there and it doesn't matter that there are mesquite trees or salt cedars in our way we just go make our own new road...added bonus c130's fly out over the place from Shepherd AFB on the weekends doing training exercises...we alway wonder what they think when they fly over and see us driving it around...I bet there are a few double takes from them. Ours is 100% off road so we don't do the parades and such that the others do...which is cool....plus can you picture 12 guys loaded up with their hunting gear (FYI we typically each carry 3 firearms to hunt each...you can't be too prepared)....it is an amazing (yet slightly scary) sight...plus it is totally cool to tell people you have a 5 ton former us military truck just to drive around the deer camp...how many people can say that? :tank:

steelandcanvas

My Wife calls the Deuce "The Other Woman". That ought to explain the amount of time I spend with the truck. I recall as a kid about 7 or 8 years old, I attended an Armed Forces Day Parade in SoCal. The local Guard Armory brought some tracked and wheeled vehicles down to be shown. That was all it took, it was love at first site. I knew then, (at that young age) I could never afford to buy a tracked vehicle, but a Deuce....well that was a possibility. At 18 I began driving tactical vehicles in Uncle Sam's Army, I had several vehicles assigned to me throughout my service time, however the Deuce was my favorite. She would always start up, she was my shelter in the field, and I even stood on her running board with a steel pot of cold water hanging from the mirror bracket just to shave. It was hard work maintaining her, but it always paid off with high scores when she was inspected. I knew someday I would own one, but only when the time was right. My kids were grown up, and I was sucessful in my career, so it was time to find one and enjoy it as I had in years past. My Wife and I both enjoy the truck, she even brings it up in conversations with her fellow employees at work. We belong to an awesome Collector's Club, and participate in nearly 30 events a year. We do static displays, parades, school and Veteran's events. In August we participate in a Regional Airshow and spend the weekend with about 50 other collectors and their vehicles. The Ladies cook 5 meals for about 100 people out of a Military Mobile Kitchen Trailer that weekend. Basically, I think the attraction is well built surplus equipment, that folks just like being around, and the comradery that goes with it.

Flyingvan911

It is also a celebration of living in a country where we have so much freedom we can buy the military's toys when they are done playing with them. It also encourages people to keep our brave men and women of the military in mind as they see our trucks driving down the street.

These trucks are fun. They are simple to own and operate and a great value for the money. You would spend a fortune for a civi truck that is as capable as a deuce.

Search for the "uses for deuces" and "you might be a deuce driver if" threads.

My deuce came from the South Dakota National Guard, 730 ASMC. Bumper number B-15.

Last edited:

DeucetheDeuce

I have always wanted a Deuce. Never had any contact with the Military, however Military vehicles are a curious item for many people like me. First off, We have a 3500 acre ranch in Western Oklahoma. My deuce will be used to build fence around the borders of the ranch...and it will be used to haul large cedar trees to the headquarters after they have been cut down and all the limbs stripped off them...I cant buy a domestic truck that will stand up to the day to day abuse that a deuce will and keep on going. Chevy, Ford, Dodge....1/2 ton to 1 ton altogether will not handle heavy work like a Deuce....I cant wait for mine to arrive TOmorrow night!!!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than a little of everyone elses reasons, I think posts 48 and 50 hit the nail on the head for me.... and I was surprised it took so long to come up with that reason.
When it's been your life, work, day in day out, chances are you want to go the other way for your recreation. Agreed, not so for some - even many here. But I never 'signed my life away' (no disrespect and thank you all for your service), but it was one of the first dreams as a kid untill parents pushed for Uni and a more professional carear .. than "driving a tank".

Don't regret the path took but have always liked the 'no frills', pure functionality of military equipment. Don't like plastic in cars or things that break when you look at them - an army truck(s) fit that nicely... or did untill more recently! So, from 18 years old (a#%&@@*& years ago) I joined the 'wanna be's' club...

I don't understand people likeing golf, etc etc. but do accept it though. The world would be a sad place if we were all the same!

I'm betting you (OP) will be "one of us" before long! Do I hear a sweepstake .... or is public gambling a no no??

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks (M923, M1009) were the ones I operated while stationed in Belgium, arguably the best year of my entire career. By owing these, I get to share with my two sons that feeling that comes from driving such a basic well engineered piece of equipment, as well as a piece of my youth. Not expensive and irreplaceable time with the kids and grandkids. Plus its JUST PLAIN FUN!

barefootin

Mine replaced my tired old one ton for a price that couldn't be beat and has been a joy to own. Whether it is hauling wood or stone on the farm, picking up a hot water heater from Lowes, or going out for breakfast with the kids, it always seems happy to do it (except on cold mornings when it sounds like a pi$$ed off old man when it starts). One other big reason for me is that I look at these "steel soldiers" as just that. They were soldiers in a sense and served with our boys and girls, men and women in the military. I honestly feel if we have the means to take them into their retirement, care for them, and keep them for future generations to see them for the engineering marvel that they are; we should. I wish they could talk.... Think of the stories some of them could tell... Top speed of 54, bahh, I got my guys out of harms way more than once with the indicator pointing due south. I always completed the mission. Yes, I know they are just steel, but they all have their own unique personalities…..

BrassBuilder

Wow. 6 pages of replies. Interesting reading to include two links.

There are many threads covering the "what do you do with these?" question-can one of you more experienced members do a search and provide some links?
Sorry...I am an experienced forum user and I should have used the search. I defer to your punishment. :)

I have mine so people will start new threads asking what I do with them. Clinto is correct.
Ok....looks like I helped you out today to justify your purchase. Do I get a slap on the back? A "way to go Hasbro? A token of appreciation? :)

Found your answer yet, OP? We like the trucks, thats why people have them. You must like them too or you wouldn't be here.
I found the site through some sort of a search for military models. I'm building my own M915A1:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?85517-Scratchbuilt-1-8-scale-M915A1

What do I do? Anything I want. My favorite time is when the guys in jacked-up 4x4 trucks have to look up at me driving by. Priceless.
That thar is funny!

Hey Mike.

Also the cool factor is there. Someone can pull into the campground with a brand new class A worth 130k, but everyone will come down to ask about the $4000 deuce!
I can see that happening. I'd be looking at the deuce too...

Thanks for the replies and I apologize again for not using the search function. This was some interesting reading.

Mike

kawkev

Well for me, its an interest in military vehicles. I enjoy driving my deuce and tinkering with it. I'm physically not able to spend hours riding my motorcycles anymore and the deuce gave me something to "play" with. I don't hunt or fish and I'm not into sports. I also can't race anymore so it fills my desire to have something to work on and improve. I also enjoy meeting with like minded people and swapping parts and stories. I guess you could boil it down, for me, as a hobby. It keeps me busy and for me, it's fun.

Just my 2cents

Oh yeah,,, forgot to mention,,, they are incredibly handy when hurricane winds are blowing and water is rising. Don't ask me why I know. :shock:

Woodsplinter

I've always wanted one since I was a kid. I think the A2 with its' 10 wheels just looks cool.

After I retired I bought one instead of a red 'vette or 22 yr old blonde.

I joined a military vehicle club and we participate in parades and put on static displays to raise funds for veterans causes such as Wounded Warriors, Blue Star Moms, and Packages From Home. I think it's a good way to say "thanks" to our military.

It's also pretty cool to have a big, bad truck- people actually get out of the way when I signal a lane change!

misupratwin

I have mine because i like to be different, first and foremost. I also use it to haul road gravel for the driveway, Haul my bulldozer or backhoe. I use it to go to car shows. Watch firework shows at the airport.

My stepfather was in the army/army reserve ,I spent many a day hanging out in the motorpool, we use to drive a duece home for the weekend. Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks