• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So....what do you guys exactly do with these trucks???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
if you win a bid on one of these trucks how do you get it off the lot? Can you just drive if off? - completely new to this but am wishing to buy a m929 dump truck. Thanks.
A search or just reading around will give you a wealth of info on this subject.

Don't expect to drive a truck off base.

Danger Ranger

Originally Posted by mattnj
"if you win a bid on one of these trucks how do you get it off the lot? Can you just drive if off? - completely new to this but am wishing to buy a m929 dump truck. Thanks."

My best advice for you was to not ask that question, and not here in this thread. Use the SEARCH and read 15 of the 150 threads already created about it. You will thank me for it later, I promise.

DatGuyC

The front passengers side tire on mine goes flat after about 2 weeks, so I go out and run the truck to pump it back up. Gets me out of the house :) Also makes a great landmark, not many people have 6x6 in my suburban neighborhood.

But really its just cool to have. Something to work on when needed and always gets looks driving.

Also zombies.

Dipstick

Really like you're avatar pic. SWEET RIG! Do you have the full size picture available? What type of trailer is that? Is it an Eager Beaver? Does it have air brakes? What does it weigh empty? How does it pull? Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Dipstick

I bought my first one about 17 years ago.I cant get enough of them.I have had over 60 trucks since then.Alot of buying and selling to support my habit.They are very addictive...
I really like the pic you used for your avatar. SWEET RIG! Nice trailer too. Eager Beaver?

BrassBuilder

Well this has been interesting reading. Actually sort of possibly maybe at least thinking about getting something to replace my 3/4 ton Ford and snow plow with something bigger. I have one lot that takes me over 4 hrs to do with my current setup. Getting something bigger might cut that down in half. Plus it sure would have been nice when I did the two re roofing jobs last summer to haul stuff....

Hmmmmmmm.......

Mike

jeryshery

I used to use my M35a2 as a daily driver...I ran waste oil and gasoline mixed. Costs next to nothing to run, insure, register. Unfortunately I had to sell it but next month I'll be buying another one. There's not a whole lot of vehicles that do as well as a deuce in an offroad desert environment. I'm a well driller and I need to have a vehicle that's roadable, capable offroad, able to pull my dumptruck out if it's stuck, cheap to run and easy to work on and the m35a2 fits that bill.

bigbird189

Well, right now mine is a lawn Ornament. When people ask me those questions, I have several answers I can reply with. 1. Do we live in America? Then I don't have to answer stupid questions. 2. Why not? 3. Because I can. 4. Why do you care? 5. Because they are freaking sweet! and your Jealous! Need to fix the brakes on mine before I can use mine whatever I want to.

ABN173

I've been in the military for 20 some years. I've driven my share of 2.5 and 5 ton trucks across the country and I cannot imagine why anyone would want or need one of these. The end usage does not seem to get discussed much.

I did a couple of roof projects last year and having a dump truck would have been nice (military or civilian). But that was a one time deal. Not a lot of use otherwise for me... I see some guys build campers out of these. That's cool. I'm not sure what the convenience factor would be driving a MV like this across the country at 50 mph would be though.

From what I've read here, some trucks are used to bring more trucks home (and then???) The above mentioned campers....looks like some guys use them for delivery vehicles...but that is about all I've seen.

I'm not knocking anyone for buying these trucks. I actually have some fond memories of the time I spent going across the plains of South Dakota (and further) in M35A2s and various 5 ton trucks. I'm just wondering what you actually do with them once you have them.

Heck...I wouldn't even mind having some sort of 6x6 with a huge plow on it about right now. It would sure beat using my 3/4t Ford with the 9' plow for one lot that I currently do.

Just curious....

Mike
Mike,

I am still Active Duty with right at 23+ years in the Army, oddly enough that is exactly why I want one. I figure I am preserving history and it's part of my own history of service. Oh I just pulled my M1008 CUCV behind my Deuce from FT Lewis, WA to FT Rucker, AL (TDY) and will finish up my DITY Move at FT Bragg next month. I have used it in parades, helping soldiers move, "trunk or treat" Halloween event on base, hauling building materials for friends, and picking up large surplus items I might buy from time to time. It's one of those things that you wonder how you managed so long without one.

-Dale

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've been in the military for 20 some years. I've driven my share of 2.5 and 5 ton trucks across the country and I cannot imagine why anyone would want or need one of these. The end usage does not seem to get discussed much.

I did a couple of roof projects last year and having a dump truck would have been nice (military or civilian). But that was a one time deal. Not a lot of use otherwise for me... I see some guys build campers out of these. That's cool. I'm not sure what the convenience factor would be driving a MV like this across the country at 50 mph would be though.

From what I've read here, some trucks are used to bring more trucks home (and then???) The above mentioned campers....looks like some guys use them for delivery vehicles...but that is about all I've seen.

I'm not knocking anyone for buying these trucks. I actually have some fond memories of the time I spent going across the plains of South Dakota (and further) in M35A2s and various 5 ton trucks. I'm just wondering what you actually do with them once you have them.

Heck...I wouldn't even mind having some sort of 6x6 with a huge plow on it about right now. It would sure beat using my 3/4t Ford with the 9' plow for one lot that I currently do.

Just curious....

Mike
1. If you want a truck to use around the house, they're incredibly cheap.

For instance, what would a good condition, say 100K mile, used Dodge 2500 4wd with a Cummins cost? If all you need is something to go to Home Depot, help friends move, occasionally haul a lawnmower, etc., then a deuce is literally cheaper than pretty much anything, even when you factor in the short tire life/poor fuel mileage. When I sold my F-150, that left me with a Honda Civic-and a deuce. I think I am pretty well covered.

2. If you need a truck for personal (non commercial) use, they're waaaay handier than a used 1/2-1 ton pickup. See:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15325-Working-the-Deuce-Vol-12-385

3. I like the history aspect of it.

Like an art collector who wants a real Henri Matisse, I like owning something that has such a rich and colorful past. As a teenager, seeing all the Deuces on CNN during Desert Storm made an impression on me.

4. I like the honesty aspect of it.

So many things in our society are either fake or dishonest. Think of the Chevy Z71 and Ford FX4 pickups. People pay a lot for those stickers, which keep getting bigger and bigger and what do they signify? Skid plates and some longer shocks? Musclecars and performance cars are even worse-how many Sixties musclecars had fake hoodscoops?

MV's are the polar opposite-there are no "trail rated" emblems on them. In fact, nothing is on them that doesn't serve a real, genuine purpose. There's no ergonomics, no marketing, no "brand image"-it's a tool. An honest, hardworking tool.

5. So far as mechanical hobbies go, they're about the cheapest.

So I like cars.......... and airplanes, helicopters, boats, construction equipment, etc. Always liked machines. I used to have musclecars (Mopars) and I was in the hobby for years. It got to the point where I couldn't afford it and I ended up here because I can't afford a Huey.

Most "toys" really serve no purpose other than to empty wallets-I mean, what the heck can you really do with:

A boat? Go fishing? Hang out on the lake and drink? All fun things to do, but man, it costs a lot.

A plane? Yeah, you can go places. Really fast and without a lot of hassle. And it makes boats seem cheap.

A motorcycle? If you aren't getting run over by inattentive motorists, you can go to the grocery store and buy 3 cans of soup.

A restored classic car? Sure, you can go to the grocery store, but you're afraid to leave it parked anywhere. You can drive it to work but are paranoid about accidents in 5pm traffic. And you can do this while getting 10mpg, likely without a/c and at 60 instead of 80 since you probably don't have overdrive.

All toys are ultimately pointless and derive their value only from the enjoyment of using them-thus making it hard to justify to anyone who wouldn't enjoy using it.

All that being said, you should buy a deuce.

Last edited:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just curious....

Mike

You mean like this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1umlwIWzg

meyerhvac

Banned
I bought my cucv to pull the snowmobiles over the salt coated roads so I didn't ruin my nice truck, I found out that I liked it better than "My nice truck". So I sold it and now just use the cucv. I bought the m923 to haul my Barrett to the shooting range.:twisted:

GHall

I bought my cucv to pull the snowmobiles over the salt coated roads so I didn't ruin my nice truck, I found out that I liked it better than "My nice truck". So I sold it and now just use the cucv. I bought the m923 to haul my Barrett to the shooting range.:twisted:
Thats a fantastic reason to have a M923.. I also like the idea of using one to get ice cream. Either way would would be a lot of fun!

I bought my truck because I could..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks