• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

74M35A2

The stock turbo was a h1e I just ordered a hx50 and governor springs when I said I set the low fuel I meant low buck fuel adjustment this helped acceleration I have not messed with timing at all and have not even checked it yet I need to read more cause I am not sure how to adjust it. There is no muffler on the vehicle its a straight 4" pipe. Even before I adjusted fuel pump EGT's where at 1100 at 60 mph or under hard acceleration it will go 1300. Thanks for input will keep updated if anyone tries adjusting timing and temps go down please post.thanks marty
I'd also like to know more about your HX50 acquisition. Is it a genuine Holset, or Chinese clone ($249 on eBay)? Is this the turbo that you installed and now have higher EGT's with? What did your intake boost pressure do from H1E to HX50? Also how is response (spool) time? I think your EGT probe or gauge is inaccurately high by several hundred degrees. Do you have another you could borrow from somebody? Or, maybe you have an injector leaking fuel and it is burning in the manifold? Just seems too hot compared to nearly all others....

profo

I'd also like to know more about your HX50 acquisition. Is it a genuine Holset, or Chinese clone ($249 on eBay)? Is this the turbo that you installed and now have higher EGT's with? What did your intake boost pressure do from H1E to HX50? Also how is response (spool) time? I think your EGT probe or gauge is inaccurately high by several hundred degrees. Do you have another you could borrow from somebody? Or, maybe you have an injector leaking fuel and it is burning in the manifold? Just seems too hot compared to nearly all others....
Yes it is a clone didn't come in yet if it helps will by a good one but didn't want to buy something expensive just to try already been burned with that on last turbo, was promised new unit from guy ended up looking like it was drug by the truck and not in it, I have checked gauge with secondary thermo, I have two ports on engine one pre, one post turbo and they run about 100-200 difference, also swapped them around and they read the same the other way. I was think thinking of having injectors tested, cause when I got truck if you pulled out of drive way you better have traffic at least a mile away cause you could count to 5 before it would even start to accelerate. I just welded a port on the intake tube going into the engine and plan on installing PSI gauge before I change the turbo also.

Marty

Ford Mechanic

No need to weld a bung in the intake tube. My boost guage came with a 1/4 NPT fitting to hook to the pipe. I removed the intake tube to drill and tap a port, then reinstalled. Tube is steel so it works fine.

74M35A2

If you installed it into a tube, is there enough thread engagement to hold back +40psi of pressure, and reliably with vibration over time? NPT threads usually like to have a lot of meat to bite for their wedge design to work properly. I'm guessing there is only 1 thread of engagement between the tube and fitting. I also bought bungs to mount temp probes in tubes before and after a front mount charge air cooler.

Ford Mechanic

If you installed it into a tube, is there enough thread engagement to hold back +40psi of pressure, and reliably with vibration over time? NPT threads usually like to have a lot of meat to bite for their wedge design to work properly. I'm guessing there is only 1 thread of engagement between the tube and fitting. I also bought bungs to mount temp probes in tubes before and after a front mount charge air cooler.
Yeah, there's enough. The tubes fairly thick, almost a 1/8th inch if I remember right. Mine's been in a year with no sign of problem. When I was running the pump the most I saw was 35 psi and I turned it down from there. I normally see 28 psi max.

Ford Mechanic

Useful info, thanks. Did you turn fuel (boost) down due to EGT's?
No EGT's were fine and it was making awesome power. A little too awesome. ..... The truck was lunging hard with the up shift into 3rd and 4th. It would shift and not pull the engine rpms down like it normally would, but instead accel rather quick when it shifted. I didn't think the Trans would hold together long like that. So I turned it down to what I felt a safe level so it was behaving appropriately.

I think the EGT'S were topping out at 1250F. Now I can bump just over 1100F. It's all flat land here also, just a lone over pass every so often. I could accelerate a couple mph up a over pass the way it was running. Now I lose a little mph depending on rpm coming into it determines how much.

Last edited:

74M35A2

So, after reading that, I'm ready to climb out of bed and go turn my fuel rate up, in the dark, and 11F temp outside. What mods have you done? Just fuel rate?

Ford Mechanic

2 clicks on the gov springs, turned the pre boost adjustment up some (star wheel) (no effect other than smoke cloud of you mat it from a stand still) then adjusted the rate screw on top. Still haven't gotten around to doing the full rack travel adjustment

74M35A2

Star wheel did not add power, just smoke? Or am I reading that wrong. You added that much power with just the top screw and/or the star wheel?

Ok finally got my gauges installed. Mods so far to the truck are 4k governor springs, cut out the inside of the muffler, adjusted the rack travel and the fuel nuts turned to the max. Last nights test ride: it'll push 40lbs of boost and from a dead stop full throttle take off it'll put the egt's at 1400 by the time it hits 3rd gear. Keep in it and it'll be 1600 right as it's ready to hit 4th. so now it'stime for a few other mods to get the egt's back down. Thinking 5" or bigger exhaust, open up it's breathing apparatus, and fit some sort of intercooler on. and if we have to, water/methanol injection.

dezert ratt

Ok finally got my gauges installed. Mods so far to the truck are 4k governor springs, cut out the inside of the muffler, adjusted the rack travel and the fuel nuts turned to the max. Last nights test ride: it'll push 40lbs of boost and from a dead stop full throttle take off it'll put the egt's at 1400 by the time it hits 3rd gear. Keep in it and it'll be 1600 right as it's ready to hit 4th. so now it'stime for a few other mods to get the egt's back down. Thinking 5" or bigger exhaust, open up it's breathing apparatus, and fit some sort of intercooler on. and if we have to, water/methanol injection.
40 psi and 1600 degrees? Sorry for your motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddmk18

He got an mrap radiator-intercooler combo on the truck now it helped a lot next is probably an HX-55 turbo, 5 inch exhaust and turn his timing up to about 16 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks