• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Softer Springs

rolling18

I've searched and read through all the spring threads I can find. Lots of good info, but little "follow on" reports of how the trucks ride. Right now I figure our M1123 has had at least 3k pounds of gear removed, so the springs are like bricks. Here is my goal, and I would appreciate anyone who has experience that can help me get to it

So, back to the M1123. This truck has enough wheel travel to put the RR to shame. There is no need for solid rock springs. I would like to drop the rates...a LOT!! Most of the springs I find in the forum are advertising 30% less rate. They all advertise this 30% less rate as though it is a magical fix. Honestly, 30% less rate only accounts for the weight removed in the demil. That takes it from "solid" suspension to "dump truck" rates. I want 1965 Fleetwood spring rates.

In fact, I think the optimum for my use would be springs that would bottom frequently, with the stock ride height, and then stiffen it up with air shocks when needed. I want to glide down the road in my living room couch. The HMMWV weighs very close to what a '65 Cadi weighed, so I know it's possible.
Exactly what I want to do!

BTW I have a Kenworth 5 axle dump truck and it rides far softer/ better thAn my M1123 heavy HMMWV (pickup) :)

As an experiment, I removed the shocks and left the springs.. SOOOO MUCH BETTER RIDE!! little more "bobbing when going down the road at 60 mph or hitting bumps fast but 200% worth the trade off!
when going off road or krawling on big rocks/ also much better!
spent the whole day driving around different scenarios. I couldnt find any major faults..

should be noted I also removed the sway / roll bar: and it still handles like a sports car and can do 4 wheel drifts with no body lean but the springs are allowed to absorb now that the shocks are gone witch overpowered the stiffness of the springs

someday I may be tempted to try the Nissan armada spring swap that also seems pretty popular if i want even softer.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a real risk? Obviously an instantaneous release of immense pressure is potentially deadly, but is it likely? I thought jeep guys ran setups like that, too.
The shock is what keeps the suspension from extending too far. If it does extend too far, there is potential for the spring to shift in it's seat and potentially come out. Our springs don't really have much extension to begin with.

For most jeeps, you're talking limiting straps or just suspension geometry that keeps the spring in place. Most Jeeps are also solid axle, not independent suspension, which changes things up a bit.

I have no idea how likely it is, but it's definitely not impossible.

SmartDrug

The shock is what keeps the suspension from extending too far. If it does extend too far, there is potential for the spring to shift in it's seat and potentially come out. Our springs don't really have much extension to begin with.

For most jeeps, you're talking limiting straps or just suspension geometry that keeps the spring in place. Most Jeeps are also solid axle, not independent suspension, which changes things up a bit.

I have no idea how likely it is, but it's definitely not impossible.
While not their intended use, would some 17” limiting straps attached to the stock shock mounting points do the trick? Seems like it would be some margin of safety keeping the spring in place while also keeping the entire assembly from overextending for the rare chance that one reaches full extension.

Thoughts?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not their intended use, would some 17” limiting straps attached to the stock shock mounting points do the trick? Seems like it would be some margin of safety keeping the spring in place while also keeping the entire assembly from overextending for the rare chance that one reaches full extension.

Thoughts?
Some sort of limiting strap should work, but remember they aren't typically designed for shock loading, which is what will happen during rough driving. The shock slows down how fast the spring can extend, and mitigated the shock factor (no pun intended) of the suspension travel coming to a stop.

If you drive off road at all, it won't be a "rare chance" for the suspension reaching full extension, it will be something that happens constantly and repeatedly. I spend much of my time on 3 wheels, or even 2 wheels when out on the trails due to the lack of flex and suspension travel in our trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks