• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Southern California - March Air Reserve Base 2012 Air Show

deuceaid

Banned
Mike You can ride with me,, in the back of a 105 trailer or something just slightly better....or even a 101,,, but Your Dad is going to complain if that is the case...:p... now I remember you talking about the wiffy coming along last time..... if You want a hi dollar vacation, then You and said wiffy could spend the night at the mission inn in riverside...... but You will pay out the nose,,, its at least a 4 star place...

edit....and at least 10 miles away from the airbase...

Last edited:

sbkarmen

So does anybody have a plan meeting up on to drive down to March afb? Is there going to be a group of guys going on Sunday only, like I'm considering? My Truck is in Rancho Cucamonga Foothill/15 fwy. The other question is when you get there, how do you go about getting your vehicle to display? Do we get instructions at the gate or we have to make advance reservations to show our trucks. I'm just asking because I might just come early Sunday morning, my shops busy day is Saturday so I more than likely not make it that day.

Thanks guys

Armen

deuceaid

Banned
So does anybody have a plan meeting up on to drive down to March afb? Is there going to be a group of guys going on Sunday only, like I'm considering? My Truck is in Rancho Cucamonga Foothill/15 fwy. The other question is when you get there, how do you go about getting your vehicle to display? Do we get instructions at the gate or we have to make advance reservations to show our trucks. I'm just asking because I might just come early Sunday morning, my shops busy day is Saturday so I more than likely not make it that day.

Thanks guys

Armen

well this is different than hemet,,,,( oh jess,,, am I becoming the convoy cordinator again?) ..

this is different than hemet, hemet was a 1 day gig, not every one here wants to spend the entire weekend on a convoy to a 2 day airshow......

Jim, Can You fill us in on the rules for display,,,.... entry, exit, etc,etc,... I think that phil just became " Camp hot dog and mre"... and Bill will be serving up lunch at the show.......lol..

PS I would like Your input as to how I did fixing up last years convoy to hemet/ryan airshow... ( all comments are welcome, both negative and positive)

deuceaid

Banned
I do have an idea for a westbound convoy (picture a j shaped fish hook) going down thru the inland empire, and up to March............;-)

So would a guy get heckled, ridiculed, blasted, flamed, insulted, screamed at, beaten, drawn and quartered, tortured, spanked, or slapped with a wet noodle for showing up in a bobbed M35A2? Note: a yes to any of the above wouldn't necicarily keep me from showing up. :jumpin:

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So would a guy get heckled, ridiculed, blasted, flamed, insulted, screamed at, beaten, drawn and quartered, tortured, spanked, or slapped with a wet noodle for showing up in a bobbed M35A2? Note: a yes to any of the above wouldn't necicarily keep me from showing up. :jumpin:

I don't know. Is it painted camo, green or tan? Most important, does it have a convoy light, or two?

I don't know. Is it painted camo, green or tan? Most important, does it have a convoy light, or two?
It used to be OD Green, but it's got that "OD Green sitting out in the sun for many years" color goin on. After I get the bob job done, I'll be scrubbing her down and giving her a couple coats of fresh OD Green. As for the blackouts and convoys, I'll be leaving all that stuff intact and if any of it doesn't work, I'll repair or restore whatever I need to in order to get it working.

I guess I should'a mentioned that's my project in my avatar, Sorry about the quality of the pic, but the current owner took that with his phone and sent it to me. I gotta make a 500+ mile trip to go get her and bring her down to my buddy's place, where I'll butcher that poor innocent M105 and build myself a BBA-BOV. :driver:

TheRecorder

Air Show Info

Sorry, work has kept me out of town for a few days.

"deuceaid
Jim, Can You fill us in on the rules for display,,,.... entry, exit, etc,etc,... "

Pretty much like Hemet, once inside for the most part. At any air show, the important requirement for static display is to be in position and stopped before the public is allowed in.

Entry is more restrictive at a military base. Treat it as if you were going to the airport security, Don't bring your box cutters, laser pointers and knitting needles. I’m sure as participants/vendors, we can have a cooler with our food, but I can check for sure on these things.

Being a two day event, after the first days show is over, and the public has exited to a required level, movement on the tarmac may resume if you need to depart with your vehicle, again I’ll double check on this.

It would be up to each MV owner whether or not you want the public in, on, under, on top of your vehicle. My opinion is, most people are fine but then there are others….

I will find out if we need to leave the MV’s on site over night, for those staying for both days or if we can return with them the second day. At Chino air show, we camped in the back of our deuces. A military base does not allow for this.

Once in, and in position, sit back, relax and watch the show, talk to the people and know we have the best parking of all. I plan on being there for both days.

TheRecorder

This Just In...

Here is the latest message from Major Ormiston regarding the Air Show.

"Jim,

Hope all is well.

I have another person that would like to bring 2 Vietnam Era vehicles to
the show and I would like to merge him with your group.

Can you please call him - Sgt (Ret) John Bodnar - 805-xxx-xxxx. He does not
have email so you'll actually have to talk with him on the phone.

When you know more details will you give me an idea of how many vehicles you
are expecting? I have a space that is approx 175' wide blocked off for you
which should allow plenty of room for 10-20 vehicles."

Thanks.

Major Ormiston

O.K.

If I can get a basic head count of how many of you are planning on attending and a line-up of each of your MV's, I'll forward this to Maj. Ormiston along with any specific questions you may have. I will post any answers received as soon as I get them.

I myself will have one M35A2C with one M105A2 Trailer.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks