• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Tire Cylinder

coachgeo

Well after our tire problems I've ordered the amazon ram mentioned above. Fingers crossed.
report back your success/failure. One thing those rams will NOT have is a safety check valve like the OEM ram does. Granted the safety check valve my well be what is the issue. They prevent sudden fall of the tire if hydraulic issue occurs.

I found a possible work around if one is safety conscious person. A seat belt (or system like it used for fall protection ive seen used ones...see link below) as in a seat belt that will belay out slowly but if it goes fast (like a fall) it snugs tight.... aka- how shoulder strap of a seat belt works.

Last edited:

Stixsmarsh

Ok, so I'm still waiting on my ram to arrive but figured I would show this.

In the meantime I wanted the spare on the truck. So I disconnected the existing faulty ram and plugged the hydraulic lines. And removed the ram so I could move the arm. I ordered a 7:1 pulley system and used that anchored off of our box corner to raise the tire into place.

For those familiar with climbing / rope work, I used 2 prusiks for assistance, one to lock the pull rope so I didn't have to hold the weight the whole time, and a second on a with a biner so I could get a grip on the thin diameter rope it came with.

PXL_20210205_224327700.jpg

Ronmar

report back your success/failure. One thing those rams will NOT have is a safety check valve like the OEM ram does. Granted the safety check valve my well be what is the issue. They prevent sudden fall of the tire if hydraulic issue occurs.

I found a possible work around if one is safety conscious person. A seat belt (or system like it used for fall protection ive seen used ones...see link below) as in a seat belt that will belay out slowly but if it goes fast (like a fall) it snugs tight.... aka- how shoulder strap of a seat belt works.

you can buy inline velocity valves(hydraulic fuses, velocity fuses, velocity checks) that would perform the same function as the safety checks in the OEM cylinders, but they are not particularly common and not particularly inexpensive...

An even simpler workaround is to put the same sized restricted orifice as is found in the control valve into the port where the fitting is attached to the cylinder on the lowering side. Any failure in the plumbing and the descent won’t stop, but it will only continue to lower at the normal rate...

A slightly fancier option but very cost effective at $25, would be to add one of these at the same spot on the lowering(rod end) side of the spare tire cylinder. They are an adjustable restricted orifice(needle valve?) in one direction for lowering safety and control, but are unrestricted in the other(raising) direction...

Third From Texas

Ok, so I'm still waiting on my ram to arrive but figured I would show this.

In the meantime I wanted the spare on the truck. So I disconnected the existing faulty ram and plugged the hydraulic lines. And removed the ram so I could move the arm. I ordered a 7:1 pulley system and used that anchored off of our box corner to raise the tire into place.

For those familiar with climbing / rope work, I used 2 prusiks for assistance, one to lock the pull rope so I didn't have to hold the weight the whole time, and a second on a with a biner so I could get a grip on the thin diameter rope it came with.

View attachment 825332

Thinking outside the hab....err box.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks