• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

Squibbly

Have you checked where your pump timing mark lines up with the block, most of them seem to either line up or slightly forward of the lines.
I don’t know what you mean here…

What procedure is this in the manuals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know what you mean here…

What procedure is this in the manuals?

Your timing marks are how you set your timing. You have one on your injection pump, open the hood and look down on the base of the front of your injection pump and you will see a line stamped into the steel of your pump. Right in the same place you will see another similar line stamped into the block of the engine. These are your timing marks, They should be lined up or close to it. To advance your timing loosen the three 13 mm nuts on the back of the injection pump and twist the pump so that the line on the pump moves to the right of the line on the block as you look down facing everything from the front of the vehicle. Opposite direction to retard. Adjust and test drive.

Squibbly

Your timing marks are how you set your timing. You have one on your injection pump, open the hood and look down on the base of the front of your injection pump and you will see a line stamped into the steel of your pump. Right in the same place you will see another similar line stamped into the block of the engine. These are your timing marks, They should be lined up or close to it. To advance your timing loosen the three 13 mm nuts on the back of the injection pump and twist the pump so that the line on the pump moves to the right of the line on the block as you look down facing everything from the front of the vehicle. Opposite direction to retard. Adjust and test drive.
I understand the IP timing mark and mine is aligned exactly to the mark, but why are you suggesting it?

I thought you were saying that since I changed the fuel filter I needed to change something. Are you talking about shift points?

I’m just trying to tie what I did (was doing) to your timing mark check.

In order for my truck to shift to second at 25 I have to push the top of the VRV as far towards the firewall as it will go. Not sure if that is correct, and I didn’t use the .646” block check, but it shifts at exactly 25 in that position.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand the IP timing mark and mine is aligned exactly to the mark, but why are you suggesting it?

I thought you were saying that since I changed the fuel filter I needed to change something. Are you talking about shift points?

In order for my truck to shift to second at 25 I have to push the top of the VRV as far towards the firewall as it will go. Not sure if that is correct, and I didn’t use the .646” block check, but it shifts at exactly 25 in that position.

You are working on adjusting your shift points and if your timing is to far advanced or is not set at the proper position it would be better to correct your timing prior to adjusting your shift points. Mine are set at 15 in first to second 25 to 35 depending on how I drive into 3rd. Shifting at 25 to second and 40 to third I would not like.

Last edited:

Squibbly

You are working on adjusting your shift points and if your timing is to far advanced or is not set at the proper position it would be better to correct your timing prior to adjusting your shift points. Mine are set at 15-25-35.
I see.

I thought the IP was just supposed to be aligned to the mark.
1675013555214.png

How do I know if the timing is set correctly? Is this in the manual.

Sadly, I only know about gasser timing using a timing light.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Having to move the VRV maxed out fully forward seems extreme based on my experience with mine. Mine is not near being maxed out for the correct shift points. I don't know why that would be but for comparison purposes maybe others can respond where their VRV is set.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see.

View attachment 889755

As you have stated there is a part that can be made or purchased to perform this procedure. If your vehicle runs well under every driving condition during acceleration then your probably good. If the truck seems to wind out longer in first gear or the RPM seems to high in 3rd gear then your probably set to far advanced. If the truck seems sluggish and does not respond well or smokes your retarded. This is something that you have to use your own judgement on by self diagnosing. Personally I wouldn't mess with the block method . If you like the way it runs now then your probably okay. On mine the sweet spot is slightly advanced by the edges of the two lines touching.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see.

View attachment 889755

I think over time based on the condition of the motor your timing might need adjusting to compensate. I may be wrong on that I am not sure. I think every vehicle is different and the sweet spot and the timing position can vary. Just my opinion.

jplace1011

I think over time based on the condition of the motor your timing might need adjusting to compensate. I may be wrong on that I am not sure. I think every vehicle is different and the sweet spot and the timing position can vary. Just my opinion.
@ezgn it sounds like one of you should make a How to Video with the whole lining up the Timing thing. That could be very cool and helpful to others in the future.

Last edited:

Squibbly

Having to move the VRV maxed out fully forward seems extreme based on my experience with mine. Mine is not near being maxed out for the correct shift points. I don't know why that would be but for comparison purposes maybe others can respond where their VRV is set.
...but, if @cucvrus say's all of his trucks shift to second at 25 and 40 for 3rd (which is how mine shifts), and all I need to do to get that is push the VRV all the way forward without the need for a block tool...I'm good.

How can you check the RPMs on these? I assume you'll need some sort of magnet stuck someplace that has a hall sensor reading the pulses (I can do this with an arduino board), but what is everyone else using?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...but, if @cucvrus say's all of his trucks shift to second at 25 and 40 for 3rd (which is how mine shifts), and all I need to do to get that is push the VRV all the way forward without the need for a block tool...I'm good.

How can you check the RPMs on these? I assume you'll need some sort of magnet stuck someplace that has a hall sensor reading the pulses (I can do this with an arduino board), but what is everyone else using?
Those speeds would be to high for me. Mine shift at 15 to second and 25 to 35 to third depending on how I drive. If you like the other shift points thats good for you.

Last edited:

Squibbly

For anyone looking for the most high tech stereo for their CUCV, feast your eyes.

Waterproof, bluetooth speaker (and charger and flashlight).

Cannot be stolen because I don’t leave it in the truck.

What are others using?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those speeds would be to high for me. Mine shift at 15 to second and 25 to 35 to third depending on how I drive. If you like the other shift points thats good for you.
Well Squibbly I forgot you have an M1009 and I'm always thinking about an M1008. So with different gearing in yours I can't really relate to what the shift points would be. Peace.

Squibbly

Well Squibbly I forgot you have an M1009 and I'm always thinking about an M1008. So with different gearing in yours I can't really relate to what the shift points would be. Peace.
Oh yeahh...I forgot about that too until you mentioned it.

My brother has the pickups.
I think I would 'prefer' the lower shift speeds because it does feel like I'm shifting at a high RPM, but I don't know enough about the timing on these to know at what point I'm f'ing up the engine. From what I'm reading (and it makes the most sense) the timing chain in these stretch and you need to adjust the IP with the stretch, or replace the chain. Currently no matter how hard I hit it I have *no* smoke and not a lot of engine clatter, which from what I'm reading is where you want to be.

vanaisa

Squibbly

I am very happy with this purchase:

That's pretty cool. Looks like this is their patent.

Piezoelectric pressure sensor reading each time pressurized fuel is sent through the fuel injection line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks