• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start of my crane truck project

Speedwoble

Well, I am putting the cart in front of the horse, or the crane before the truck. This past weekend I purchased three Hiab 070 knucklebooms for eventual inclusion on an M35A2. Now I just have to haul them home (see post in transportation section) and buy a deuce.

Two are Hiab 070A's, one is an 070AW which means it has one more extension for a total of 23ft of reach. 7000lbs of lift @ 7 ft, 2000lbs @23ft. It is a baby compared to what some guys have, but I think it will be well suited to the deuce.

All three are powered by Kohler gas motors so I will not have to put a wet kit on the deuce, nor will I have to let the truck idle for long periods while using the crane. Would be cool down the road to replace the kohler with a diesel motor.

I will update this post as I get them home and get a deuce. I know one if not 2 of the booms will be for sale and I will be keeping the 070AW for myself.

Attachments

Speedwoble

When the old kohler dies, why not run it off of pto??? Diesels love to idle theres no concern there.
I don't think any engine loves to idle. There is not sufficient cylinder pressure to seat the rings, it doesn't get warm enough to prevent condensation in the oil, many problems.
I will get better fuel consumption from a small engine running at rated load than the big one running at an idle.
I am thinking of adding remote outlets so I could have a hydraulic winch off the same power unit,
The biggest benefit in my book is this is all self contained, I don't have to add a tank, plumbing, or pto shaft to the truck. All I have to do is reinforce the frame and bolt it on.

big block 88

Okay love was the wrong word in comparison to a like gasser the diesel will idle more efficiently and will run cooler consume less fuel and have substansailly less issue than a gasser.

Diesels do NOT have "many problems" while idleing.... There is a reason that big rigs will run for days on end with out being turned off. One would think that if there were "many problems" assosiated with long idle periods big rigs heavy and heavy equipment would not be let to sit idle.

Also on these multi fuels you are concerned with cylinder pressure??? Even at idle they carry more than sufficiant CP IMO.

tm america

When the old kohler dies, why not run it off of pto??? Diesels love to idle theres no concern there.
LDT465 is not a diesel.. It is a multifuel and has a totally different combustion cycle.. This is why they don't like long idle times.When you excesively idle a multi it will carbon up and have issues. They rely on high cyclinder temps to keep things working correct.There is a technical article on this About running them hard for an hour or so to clean them out

spicergear

Nice! There doesn't seem to be much market for the roller chassis on those though. I think it's pretty neat how they could scoot themselves front to rear on a flatbed trailer hauling block. 23' will be fine on a deuce...you WILL always want more at times, but they're very handy. I'm probably going to keep the stand alone engine/pump combo on mine but we'll see how time tells...

PaFarmer

Speedwoble

I sent you a PM. If you are looking for a deuce, I know of one for sale in Schuylkill Co., with a PA title.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce engine only loves to idle when the temps up and it's been running a while. Otherwise I have to pull the throttle out a bit to prevent it sounding like someone is banging on the block with a ball-peen hammer.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the idea of a dedicated engine, will be looking for a smaller crane set up like that one of these days... for the 8x8.
Good luck on your project.

PS. I'm seriously considering selling the deuce cranetruck...pressure is on...I'm still married...

Attachments

Speedwoble

Like the idea of a dedicated engine, will be looking for a smaller crane set up like that one of these days... for the 8x8.
Good luck on your project.

PS. I'm seriously considering selling the deuce cranetruck...pressure is on...I'm still married...
Your truck was my inspiration.

Speedwoble

Appreciate all of the positive comments. Just want to caution all of the subscribers I do not have the deuce yet, so it may be a few months before progress starts happening in earnest.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so all us copycats have an idea, what does one of those units go for? Not necessarily what you paid for yours but just a typical used unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks