• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start of my crane truck project

spicergear

DON'T DO IT BJORN!!! !!! !!!

MKCOEN, like everything it can vary a lot. These, because of their sort of different application can go for a *little* less, but expect to see them $2,000 to $4,000 and change. Anything under $2,000 and you're doing well. Just be careful of what you're getting. A 'steal' on one that then needs a crap load of hydraulic lines won't be a steal anymore unless you have a hose builder as a close friend...or at gun point. Something nice and clean and running and not leaking is worth more in just lack of headaches. What's your time worth? <-- That is the crux of the matter and what most people don't consider. :mrgreen:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought hacking up my mobile crane and mounting it to a truck would be neat. Best of all, you could run it off the 24V of the truck. Nothing complex to plumb up.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Somebody needs to get PATRACYs m55, lwb 5t, this truck should have a double frame, pull the bed, install a K-boom behind the cab, then a standard 5t drop side, or with a little work to the frame, a deuce dropside , would make a super nice 5t crane truck, it would be almost like a OM CANADIAN 5t with the k-boom

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Somebody needs to get PATRACYs m55, lwb 5t, this truck should have a double, pull the bed, install a K-boom behind the cab, then a standard 5t drop side, or with a little work to the frame, a deuce dropside , would make a super nice 5t crane truck, it would be almost like a OM CANADIAN 5t with the k-boom
That was exactly the plan for it. But actually I planned on using the new Mk17 trailer and boom to make it. Something along the lines of pctrans truck.

quickfarms

The cranes in the Photos appear to have the roller chassis and I am trying to determine how this chassis works. Being self contained they can be moved on the truck bed from the front to the rear, But how are they attached to the bed because they can not be rigidly bolted.

spicergear

Picture the bottom of a piece of channel sticking down and the top of another sticking up and overlaping. They have this on both sides so it's held captive onto the trailer yet would allow it to travel lengthwise up and down the trailer. The base of thee crane has two axles supported on heavy pillow blocks with steel wheel on that that axle. A hydraulic motor with a sprocket drives down to one axle then another sprocket and chain drive up to the other axle so they both drive. It's a neat set up and allows the use of a smaller crane to unload a the whole 53' of a trailer instead on one MASSIVE unit that would have had to reach from the tractor...and cost a King's ransome. The roller base simply unbolts and you're left with the typical Knuckleboom to mount on a frame or whatever. Usually these trailer crane units have only one extension on the mast so they're limited to around 21' to 23'. The capacity is still good though...I know on my 8000 series Palfinger is nearly 3,000lbs at (I think) 23'. Right about 8,000lbs at the first extension.

OH, if anyone knows of or has access to a winch off of an M977 crane or other hydraulic powered crane winch (not huge) please PM me. I think it would be really, REALLY handy to be able to extend this out with a snatch block at the end and use it like a crane on occassion too. THANKS!!!

Speedwoble

Well, I have two of the cranes are now sitting safely behind my garage. MidnightDuramax received the load and and delivered them from Newark for me.

Background: I had found a commercial transporter willing to haul all three cranes for $400 when Midninghtduramax PM’d me offering cash and delivery for one of the cranes. He picked up the cranes Oct 17 and we agreed he would deliver on Saturday, Oct 22 at 3pm. Unfortunately they had some trouble along the way and finally made it at 8pm.
I borrowed a telehandler which made short work of the unloading. Eric requested and I agreed to lower the price $250 because the crane seller did not provide a remote control for that crane like he promised.

Eric told me he did not have the money to pay me the full amount, but gave me the majority in cash and promised to mail me a check for the rest. We shook on it and he left.

*EDIT 12-4-2011* Eric has arranged for payment on what I am owed. I will remove this story once paid in full.

*EDIT 12-11-2011* Eric has paid in full.

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am interested in more information those cranes.

I would be cool to have one that I could remove from the truck when I did not want or need it.
The HIAB is attached with bolts to the frame in a clamping fashion. It wouldn't be that time consuming to raise it on its outriggers and boom as a tri-pod, unbolting it, disconnecting the hydraulics and drive off...(small image, will try to locate the original photo...)

Attachments

Speedwoble

Well, I bought a few days ago and picked it up today. I put the rust filter on the camera, so these pictures look pretty good, but it does have a few rust spots.

I have today and tomorrow off, weather looks good over the weekend, so I am just crazy enough to think I can get the rust filled and the truck repainted in 4 days. The fun begins.

I was thinking about mounting the crane in the bed and converting the bed to a drop-side, but I am thinking more and more I will slide the bed back and mount the crane direct to the frame. The bed may get mounted on a hinge so I could use the crane to dump it if needed. We'll see.

Attachments

Speedwoble

The HIAB is attached with bolts to the frame in a clamping fashion. It wouldn't be that time consuming to raise it on its outriggers and boom as a tri-pod, unbolting it, disconnecting the hydraulics and drive off...(small image, will try to locate the original photo...)
Ah, that is the beauty of the cranes I bought. Self contained, complete with battery and gas motor to drive the hydraulics. Thus, all I would have to do is unbolt the crane and drive away. However.... I don't have powered outriggers, but I am thinking of using semi trailer jacks on each side.

Speedwoble, looks like your on your way to crane truck reality, sorry to hear about the sh.t head that screwed you, all the while pretending to be a stand-up member. It is just the way some folks think their in-titled to our good efforts, they appear in all walks of life. Somehow it stings more when they show their hand here on SS, even though we all have experienced them in are day to day life's. Anyhow hopefully he'll be stepping on his dick soon.
I love my crane truck, wish I could have done a marry of my old M35 and MK, back in the day. I settled for a civi knuckle boom with a 20,000 lb. winch on the butt end. Maybe I'll paint it green, or better yet make some $'s on it.

spicergear

I like the public posting of his aliases and numbers. Like a place that scotch tapes a bad check right on the front of the cash register.

I see you have the typical outrigger set up for these that just unpin and drop down without telescoping out. I hope they clear your tank/truck width. My Palfinger mocked up on the 931A2 tractor isn't wide enough to clear the truck for the outriggers like that.

Speedwoble

Made more progress yesterday and today. Got the rust holes patched. I think the passenger door is shot long term, but I have a lead on a replacement.
Primered some spots where I had bare metal, then masked and painted today.

I went with Valspar Duramax paint. I grabbed a bunch of paint samples from their "off the shelf" mixes and selected one that was just a little "greener" than what I assume to be CARC on the driver fender.

Heard someone else on here say they used 5 gallons, so I bought that and think I used about 2. But, I haven't done the troop seats or bed interior. I am also sure I will need more when I modify the bed to get the crane on. For now I am trying to get it ready to tag. I am going to be parking it visible from the street, so want it to be least offensive to the neighbors.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks