• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter killing flywheel

kabar1

photo (19).JPGphoto (16).JPGphoto (17).JPGphoto (18).JPGAnother great question - I've sunk 5000 in this truck already! The person before me sheared a chuck off the block and rigged their own bracket, the sound is getting worse and worse, Is there any way to fix this? What are my options as far as possibly selling it or finding a replacement engine ? Trying to weigh the pros and cons

Last edited:

dependable

It is possible to ruin an otherwise OK 6.2 by doing a botched starter bolt thread repair. At some point, even if it can be repaired, most can not afford to if they do not have advanced skills. The rigged bracket does not sound that promising. If you want to try to fix engine, don't use it anymore until sorted out. If you can post some good photos where chunk is missing, you will get advice whether or not it is salvageable

phil2968

We need to see it with the starter pulled off. That starter is a gear drive and the proper brace is available if the mounting boss is still on the block and starter. One of the starter mounting bolts looks funny. Again, we need to see it with the starter pulled.

kabar1

I had a friend look at it and that's what he told me unless im missing something i don't see any chunk off the block missing just that crappy bracket, those are the best pictures i could take i looked in the tm and it just says remove bracket and started shield

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't spend any money until you pull the starter off and have a look. Disconnect your batteries first.

you may or may not have something broken.

The 6.2L and the 6.5L (and many others) are notorious about breaking the ear off the block when the support bracket is not replaced. I just bought a 2000 6.5L with the broken ear. Only way to fix that issue is to pull the engine and have someone weld it back. Google "broken starter ear" and you will have some good reading.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only true way to fix it is to remove the engine and have a shop weld the ear and redrill the hole. May be cheaper to find another engine. I have never priced having the ear welded

A temp solution is to drill the hole all the way thru block, use a longer bolt with a "sloped" washer. Not a perfect solution but some people have had luck with it.

Check out some of the solutions at other diesel websites. www.thedieselpage.com www.dieselforums.com etc

Here is the 6.5L N/A I just bought. Glad I didn't pay too much for it. I'm pulling the engine and 4L80e tranny and transplanting them into my 1990 suburban. I'll have a shop fix the ear and rebuild the transmission.

If you notice the inside bolt also broke off. For other people, this is what the $10 bracket will same you from.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hold on. Looking at the picture, where did the bolts come out of? The two holes or where the break is? Or is that even a break.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture was deceiving as there is an extra hole on the block and seems like the PO actually cut the broken part of the block off.

Is there any threads left on the original bolt hole? If so how deep is it? Want about the inside hole? does it look like it has issues?

Post a picture of the bolts. I want to see what the PO used.

While not my favorite website here is some ideas. (googled: weld block ear)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/202132-starter-block-broken.html

Here is a 6.5L block I happen to have on a stand.

Attachments

Last edited:

kabar1

they unevenly cut a chunk off and tapped some threads in the hole, I dropped it off at a shop they are going to try and do your suggestion to grind it as flat as possible put a nut in there and some dummy washers and a new starter.

kabar1

Did the seller disclose there was an issue?
No it was a little noisey he said it may need to be shimmed I brought a mechanic friend w me two and he agreed , I contacted the seller shortly after all the issues started to develop and be said I had no idea , he's a cop in Gorgia and said he wished there was something he could do cause he can't afford to have a bad reputation being a police officer, I said u can give me some money back he said he couldn't , he posted here several times what a great running truck it is , it does run very well but I've had to pretty much replace or work on every excessary alternators belts pumps etc.

Last edited:

kabar1

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL ADD
03-29-2013, 17:34 #2
Private

Feedback Score

Here it is located at the GA/TN line.fly into Chattanooga and drive it home. the only thing I have found wrong with it is the braker booster leaking at firewall,new glow plugs,new batteries,
$3400 OBO

Last edited by a moderator:

kabar1