• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter turns when key out of ignition

Paycheck

Ok, batteries won't charge have generator#2 light on tried jumping with my jeep then the terminal started smoking and one of the wires caught fire I yanked the key from the ignition and the motor was still turning over until the battery died. Later I tried jumping from the junction box on the inside passenger aside behind the passenger seat then I smelt electric burning. I towed it home charged both batteries and when I plugged them up the motor started turning mind you the keys were still in my pocket I pulled both alternators and the starter out tomorrow I will have all three bench tested my question is could it be the module under the dash. I've never had a vehicle that ran after the key was pulled I'm at a loss,thank you for any help you can give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paycheck

Up pretty late last nite reading through some of this using my phone it's. It as easy to navigate this forum I yanked both alternator and the starter I've yet to find any fusible links I'm thinking the previous owner or the yank them and replace them with standard wiring today will bench test and send things out for rebuild I wish there was some one locally in Arizona who has experience with these rigs that could teach me some stuff I enjoy the hobby but dammit it's getting to be expensive maybe I should have taken up model airplane building.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't give up. These trucks are very reliable once you fix a few of the
known problems. You do need to do the homework and read up on this stuff.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used 12 volt jeep to jump my 24 volt cucv
That's what a thought (that you used a Jeep), but did you connect it to one of your CUCV batteries or both?

For now, why don't you look at your CUCV as a regular GM car/pickup/SUV with a gas engine of the era? There's not that much difference between them.
Yes, the starter runs on 24 Volt, and the charging system is a bit complex, but that doesn't really matter when it comes to a starter that stays on.

dstang97

I did not read through all these posts. If your cucv tries to start itself it is either starter relay under the dash or a short in your starter. I have had both things happen to me. You need to pull everything off, batteries, alternator, starter and have everything test.

Paycheck

I did not read through all these posts. If your cucv tries to start itself it is either starter relay under the dash or a short in your starter. I have had both things happen to me. You need to pull everything off, batteries, alternator, starter and have everything test.
I did it's the relay under dash I hooked everything up about an hour ago and hooked batteries up wrong burnt up a wire on the fire wall I give up I've duped to much into it, it will set in my garage until I can send it to a shop or I'll scrap it I'm over it
Thank you for the advise though I'm just over the stress of the situation I won't let this thing give me a second stroke

Paycheck

I'm sure it's not I'm just fed up I made notes on battery reconnecting but I was warn out from wrenching on it must have messed my notes up some how now I have no clue how to wire these batteries up looked at diagrams could use pictures prev owner changed wires pos and beg are both red

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure it's not I'm just fed up I made notes on battery reconnecting but I was warn out from wrenching on it must have messed my notes up some how now I have no clue how to wire these batteries up looked at diagrams could use pictures prev owner changed wires pos and beg are both red

Did you by any chance take a photo with that iPhone before disconnecting things? I'm pretty sure those newfangled cell phones can be used as cameras.

Paycheck

No took pics of wiring on the alternators,someone walked with my drop lamp so I was using the flashlight on the phone battery died and just wasn't thinking about it as I said before I was wore out

Paycheck

No took pics of wiring on the alternators,someone walked with my drop lamp so I was using the flashlight on the phone battery died and just wasn't thinking about it as I said before I was wore out

I kicking my self for no taking pictures never need to on a 12v just two cables

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I really am old fashioned. I'm typing this on a computer keyboard, use a camera to take photos with, and carry a flash light. But I do have a flip phone that I use as, well, a phone.
Of course, I don't use adjustable wrenches either (other than as a last resort), instead relying on wrenches and sockets made for the fastener size. Yeah, that's a lot of different things that could all be replaced by an iPhone and an adjustable wrench, but it seems to work fine for me.

Paycheck

Man, I really am old fashioned. I'm typing this on a computer keyboard, use a camera to take photos with, and carry a flash light. But I do have a flip phone that I use as, well, a phone.
Of course, I don't use adjustable wrenches either (other than as a last resort), instead relying on wrenches and sockets made for the fastener size. Yeah, that's a lot of different things that could all be replaced by an iPhone and an adjustable wrench, but it seems to work fine for me.
Company requires me to carry it for Disbatch and load tracking I miss my flip phone. I would appreciate it if you would stop giving me a hard time though if I wanted more problems I'd have a conversation with my wife,I'm here for assistance not a hard time thank you.

rustystud

Company requires me to carry it for Disbatch and load tracking I miss my flip phone. I would appreciate it if you would stop giving me a hard time though if I wanted more problems I'd have a conversation with my wife,I'm here for assistance not a hard time thank you.

I know your tired and really frustrated with this truck, but just take a couple of days off and let your mind relax. I'm a mechanic or was before I retired and there where times I would just have to step back and let a problem go away for a time or even have another mechanic take over. After you relax and get your mind clear then jump back in and find this problem. There are only so many ways a dual battery system can be wired up and I'm sure we can help you with that.