• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Four HMMWV engines in the can

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is great news. Are you going to ground hop the other engines? Did you sell the can too?

superburban

I'm going to groundhop the others too. The guy didn't want the can. I might make one of the cans into an enclosure for a generator for my house.

I'm going to pic out the best of the remaining engines for my Blazer. I got a 6.5 turbo setup as partial payment for the 6.5 GEP engine, plus $700 cash. I plan on putting the turbo onto the 6.2 that goes into the Blazer.

I'll post video of the other engines when I get them going too.

superburban

Yeah. My wife now sees that this hobby can indeed bring in money! So now, I'm going to go crazy at GL! I'm a ****ed genius!

superburban

I got a few hours to mess around with the other engines yesterday and today. I wired up and plumbed the oldest, dirtiest, beatest looking engine and got it to fire up today. In my inspection, I found what I think caused it to be pulled and surplused. There was a foreign object lodged way down in the intake manifold, blocking off the intake port for cylinder #2:

I got it fished out, added oil, pulled the glow plugs, cracked the injector lines, converted the IP to 12v, and cranked until I had fuel. Then I tightened up all of the injector lines and screwed the glow plugs back in, then started it up (in my excitment, I accidentally ground the starter right after it fired up! A bit of smoke, then it cleared up and idled smoothly:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hHnHvHw5c[/media]

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why that there is one of those #2 intake cylinder plugs made up by inventive folks at the Motor pool when they got bored...

THAT'S what that there thingy is

and you scored big...

I have found that I can generally make my money back over the long run... having said that, you do LOSE some along the way, but over the past seven years, I've purchased numerous lots at GL and have at least made my money back and generally ended up with some fine examples of military surplus for free or a very minor expense.

And it does give one something to do

superburban

I wanted to let the engine warm up to see if some of the blowby would go away, so I fished a junk forklift radiator out of the garbage at work and rigged it up! I also dont have all of the bracketry to install a V-belt, so I made one out of electricians' tape. That didn't work so well, so I built a proper belt out of duct tape. It worked just fine.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfyfXMtWmU[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odZXyFEi78[/media]
After running it with water, I believe I've got a keeper! No blown headgaskets, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil! Success!

superburban

that blow-by is "not too bad" ???

wow.
Nah. I've had 6.2's that were sputtering oil out the dipstick tube that kept running for years. Besides, this thing never got properly warmed up. I let it idle for about 3 minutes in between the two videos and the blowby was gowing away pretty good. My wifey (the cameraman) told me that I had to quit playing with my toys, though. I had to get showered up and go to scouts, so I'll get it hot this weekend.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Cool! Thanks for posting all the videos. My 6.2 HMMWV came from Many, Louisiana from a business that contracts with the Military. They do all their overhaul work since as powerplant swaps, paint and drivetrain work. I was told they do indeed pull many running 6.2's just to upgrade them to the 6.5's. They have over 5 thousand 6.2's themselves. Mine was hand picked, got all sorts of other goodies with it. Even a new paint job. Can't wait to get it swapped into the GMC. Just finished tearing all the fenders and body parts off for the swap.

I haven't started it up yet but I am probably just as giddy as you were before starting yours up. I was told it ran great when tired fired. How did the other 6.2's fare?

Attachments

Last edited:

superburban

Cool, gunfreak. I'm following your 6.2 powered deuce project closely. I got another engine started, and I believe this is the one I'm going to install into my blazer. It fires right up and has no blowby whatsoever! I also simplified the wiring for the groundhop setup too:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Nt2gtAglg[/media]

Gunfreak25

Great setup! I just plugged the oil cooler fittings on mine for now. I was told this is fine and does not "cut off" the engines oil supply. You?

trukhead

Wow, they run with flex plates, Cool!
Can't wait to ground hop my 2. One sez " ok runs" on the valve cover, we'll see.

THanks for posting the vids, [thumbzup] I was way over thinking this ground hop thing, flywheels etc...

:jumpin: fat lady sings

Barrman

The block half of the oil cooler lines are 1/2" NPT. I screwed a pair of brass barb fittings in and made a loop with 3/8" fuel line.

Also learned the cans have a drain plug under the flywheel end. Only learned this after we slopped all the spilt oil from the removed filter. Wanted to pass that along since I have never seen a dry can bottom. Always seem to have oil or coolant down there.

We should get the rear cross member relocated enough to mount a starter sometime in the next week. Then I will try to get a video of what happens.

Thanks for posting your pictures and experiences.

Barrman

Mine had a lake of oil. I told a student to put some oil dry in there. I didn't watch him though. He had at least 50 pounds of the stuff in the can and looked like he was playing in a sand box working the clean stuff down to the oil. Two shop vac tub fulls later we had a clean can and there was the drain plug. An inch or so toward the out side from directly below the fly wheel. 9/16" square head bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks