• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2017 - September VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please vote here for your favorite MV of the month. And contestants, please feel free to "campaign" for votes here as well! Let's have at it!

Please campaign only in the thread, not PMing people.

1. wsucougarx
wsucougarx.jpg

2. fuzzytoaster
fuzzytoaster.jpg

3. Migginsbros
Migginsbros.jpg

4. BenRoberts.
BenRoberts.jpg

5. Wagoneer
Wagoneer.jpg

6. Floridianson
Floridianson.jpg

7. Holgi
Volgi.JPG

8. Coffey1
Coffey1.jpg

9. m38inmaine
m38inmaine.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several friends in the running this month but I've got to go with m38inMaine. He provided much needed support, parts, and encouragement while I was working on my Goat and his is a fine example of a Cold War era machine.

m38inmaine

I am officially naming my goat "REFORGER", not only for being "REFORGED" from the junk heap but for all those Cold War vets who served our country. The recent Cold War thread really hit home, some pictures of Gama Goats in service and I know a lot of them participated in the NATO REFORGER exercises. Will continue to post about how I got this machine and all the great help from Steel Soldiers for whom this would not have been possible. A before and after.

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the reference to the Cold War and Reforger, that made my vote easy.

Most units stationed in Europe had their own MVs and equipment.

What most people don't know is that a lot of additional material was stored in the so-called POMCUS or Pomms depots, waiting for a war that never came. Each 6 months, a group of soldiers would come in, start the engines of all vehicles, let them run for 30 minutes, and then drain the oil and replace it with brand new oil. Then they switched of the light, left and the trucks stood there waiting for the next oil change!

My truck was one of those, and had 50 miles on the counter when sold as surplus. Today, the counter is as 3000 miles, after 43 years of service! The Netherlands had five of those depots, and still is a mostly unknown but essential cog in the US military presence in Europe.

The picture on the link shows one of those depots, I hope to have more pictures on them soon.

What most people don't know is that a lot of additional material was stored in the so-called POMCUS or Pomms depots, waiting for a war that never came. Each 6 months, a group of soldiers would come in, start the engines of all vehicles, let them run for 30 minutes, and then drain the oil and replace it with brand new oil. Then they switched of the light, left and the trucks stood there waiting for the next oil change!
This was also the case with the Bundeswehr (German Army).
I have done there at several trucks 1989 technical service.
So new oil against new oil, new filters replaced new filters, etc.:cookoo:
These trucks have been around for only 30 years and have been moved only for the technical service. They had a maximum of 500km (about 300 miles) on the tachometer.

Dies gab es bei der Bundeswehr (Deutsche Armee) aber auch.
Ich habe dort bei mehreren LKW 1989 technischen Dienst durchgeführt.
Also neues Öl gegen neues Öl, neue Filter gegen neue Filter usw. getauscht.:cookoo:
Diese LKW standen seit 30 Jahren nur herum und wurden nur für den Technischen Dienst bewegt. Sie hatten alle höchstens 500km (etwa 300 miles) auf dem Tachometer.

My vote gets the FUG from Migginsbros.
I have driven at the Bundeswehr diesel tankers trucks and ammunition trucks.
The ammunition boxes were always charged by FUG. I liked the FUG.:grin:

Meine Stimme bekommt der FUG von Migginsbros.
Ich habe bei der Bundeswehr Diesel Tankwagen LKW und Munition LKW gefahren.
Die Munitionskisten wurden immer von FUG aufgeladen. Die FUG haben mir gefallen.:grin:

wsucougarx

A project that took me on a mere 6,000 miles to get parts and the Goat itself. Was a fun project but in the end it came down to honoring the warriors of Op Urgent Fury. This was truly one of my favorite projects and one of the most challenging.

Attachments

Migginsbros

Hello to all your MV enthusiast. We introduce our " Feldumschlaggerät 2,5 t (FUG)". Its an all terrain forklift with 4 wheel drive and diff.locks.
FUGcampain 008.jpgDriven by a Klöckner Humbold Deutz 6 cylinder aircooled engine direct injected 4 stroke diesel . 107 HP at 2300 rpm and 345nm torque at 1600rpm.
Trany is an automatik ZF 6speed foreward and 2 reverse with electric/hydraulic shifter. It is an all steel body with mostly up to .400 inch sheed metal which brings it up to 8,8 tons weight including all aditional on vehicle mounted stuff (exept the dozerblade). Since we get this heavy metal piece some years before we love it and we can´t imagine a life without him.FUGcampain 017.jpgFUGtanken 004.jpg This forklift is street legal if you attach the onbord bumpers.

Hello!

If anyone feels the impetuous urge to see more photos of my Chevy :mrgreen:, please he can click on my presentation thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?170616-V8-Diesel-greeting-from-Germany-) .

Or should I put the photos here again?
They would then be duplicated. I do not know if that would be useful?

If the boss papabear says yes, then I do that naturally.:smile:

But when I see my votes cast, it is actually meaningless.:mrgreen:rofl

In German:
Sollte jemand den unbändigen Drang verspüren, noch mehr Fotos von meinem Chevy zu sehen :mrgreen:, so kann er bitte meinen Vorstellungsthread anklicken.

Oder soll ich hier die Fotos nochmal einfügen?
Sie wären dann doppelt vorhanden. Ich weiß nicht, ob das sinnvoll wäre?

Wenn der Chef papabear sagt ja, dann mache ich das natürlich.:smile:

Wenn ich jedoch meine Stimmen sehe, ist das eigentlich sinnlos.:mrgreen:rofl

Greetings from Germany,

Holgi

Last edited:
A project that took me on a mere 6,000 miles to get parts and the Goat itself. Was a fun project but in the end it came down to honoring the warriors of Op Urgent Fury. This was truly one of my favorite projects and one of the most challenging.
Does your goat have a street permit?

If you were to drive in Germany (with the machine gun in the window), the police would be with you within 10 seconds.:mrgreen:
Looks really good. :smile:

@Migginsbros:
I envy you about your FUG. I'd like to have one like that.
But unfortunately no money and space for it.
Unfortunately I have to content myself with my little Weidemann wheel loader. It lifts 600kg :mrgreen: :tank: .

Last edited:

Migginsbros

fugcampaingn 004.jpgFUG 081.jpgbomb.jpgFUGcampain 052.jpgriseranchero 011.jpg
This unique, great versatility forklift carries 2 crewmembers.
The FUG is the great convenience the load/unload or to clear up your backyard.
With the dozerblade in place the FUG is a good snowplow.
To keep in mind, earlyer in his life he was great help at the supplyunit.

m38inmaine

Inspired by Mark's Gama Goat project post I was trying to figure out how I could find one on a very limited budget. I recalled a fellow collector in NY who I remembered having one in his back yard in need of restoration. Of course it had been a very long time since I had seen it. It had been de milled before release, a pulp wood loader at the DRMO site ripped all 4 fenders off, engine cover and crushed the cowl and poked holes on the tractor cab. By the time I got it 14 years had passed and you can see the results of sitting outside.

Here are a couple of pictures of how it looked when I got it home the day after recovery and making progress on what seemed an impossible end. More to follow on progress and help from SS members.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Roll call of thanks: Popacom, Bill has to be the most knowledgeable person I have ever talked to about the Gama Goat. He is a one stop shop for all things goat, he has dismantled more goats than most of us have ever seen and knows them inside out. He saved and sought out all the goat parts no other dealer wanted, without him a lot of us would be still looking for those hard to get parts. The first part I bought from him was a new windshield, he took great care to make sure it arrived in tact. Thanks popacom for making this machine great again.

Mkcoen, Mark's goat project is what inspired me to find and build one of these crazy rigs. Soon after I got mine we found ourselves shipping parts back and fourth making each machine better and complete. Mark had an engine failure due to over heating, he sent me his good engine parts so that mine could run, surely above and beyond.

Combat32, Tom picked up a goat project around this same time as well. We also started shipping parts between us, he even made a parts run to Red River and shipped them to me as well as getting Mark's engine head shipped to me. As of today we are still shipping parts and in the process of getting Tom's goat up and running.

Jericho, Andy is the first person I met in person that actually had a goat, not one but two. He also is a walking library of goat information, another friend that will go out of his way to help and offer advice. I know there are more SS members I have left out but I will try to get them all listed. Without all of their help I could have never re forged this from the grave, thank you all.

wsucougarx

Does your goat have a street permit?

If you were to drive in Germany (with the machine gun in the window), the police would be with you within 10 seconds.:mrgreen:
Looks really good. :smile:

@Migginsbros:
I envy you about your FUG. I'd like to have one like that.
But unfortunately no money and space for it.
Unfortunately I have to content myself with my little Weidemann wheel loader. It lifts 600kg :mrgreen: :tank: .
Thank you. Yes she is licensed to drive on the street. She is a blast to drive.

Migginsbros

If you dont like to drive this unique strange heavy piece of steel with rear axel steering for long distance
you can piggyback this MV.

You can easyly climp on the MAN F2000 Truck.alles ab winterhike2014 1387.jpgalles ab winterhike2014 1385.jpgalles ab winterhike2014 1386.jpg

Last edited:

Migginsbros

This is our FUG 2,5 Y4 all terrain forklift under the camo net. Be curious about more details/pics.8)
Vote for this great assistant of the supply chain.
FUGcampain 039.jpg:cool::cool:Vote for Migginsbros.

Jericho

Gotta vote for Marks "M 38 in Maine" (its near the Great State of New Hampshire) Goat, If you had seen the parts, yes I said PARTS, weren't a goats worth there , he started with you would agree. He had to pound, pull, hammer and cajole dents and creases from places I though were impossible .He weld panels, rebuilt brakes, rewired the beast as well, then he stripped the whole thing with a JITTERBUG , and laid some nice paint down. But that wasn't it, the ENGINE was a heap "O" bolts and bits as well. The head was shot and a few IMPORTANT parts were missing ( thank god Micoyan was around ) He re-rigged the entire fuel injection/rack from the TM manual . I have driven Marks Goat a few times, starts on the button, stops on a dime and shifts with a smooth flair. IF you have ever had a goat you know how much work he put in! I have two goats, both were intact for the most part when I got them and will admit I wouldn't have touched Marks wreak that he started with for love nor money. Cudos Mark, JOB WELL DONE SIR , SALUTE !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks