• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still no power

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you guys have not by-passed the fdc, you should do it FIRST. It limits the amount of fuel that goes to the HH and is a possible source of fuel in the crankcase.
I bypassed the FDC today. Big difference in acceleration in gears 1 threw 4. Temps seamed lower. 5th gear I was able to get to 1900 rpm before I hit temps. I used very little pedal to do this. I am going to have to turn the fuel down a little.
Your welcome.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
No? Why not? If you bypass the FDC, the IP thinks all fuels should be injected in the same volume with no regard for the energy in each type of fuel. I would just leave the FDC hooked up if you expect to have a variety of fuels, keep in mind it is the fuel that cools and lubricates the HH.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt any of us ever notices a big difference in maximum power with our FDC bypassed and running multiple fuels.

If we did, would it really matter? I can live with a variation.

The Government saw to bypass the fdc due to failure that caused engine oil dilution. That's a good enough reason for me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your egts are going to vary with your fuels especially if you've turned it up some.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

That's what I was wondering. If the fuel you are running is waste oil with a slower burn rate, you might be seeing fuel burn in the exhaust manifold spiking the numbers.

Why 5th is so different than steady state in any other gear? Load.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
jsthnt, i don't see where you say what the boost pressure is when the egt is high. just because you have a turbo doesn't mean it is working correctly or all the time. black smoke and high egt means too much fuel or too little air. too little air means low power.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I do not have a boost gauge yet. I took it for another run today. Going into the wind I was still able to 1900 rpm like yesterday. But coming back with the wind I was able to do 2200 rpm. I feathered it and went down a long hill, it was not a very big hill but a hill none the less. There is some fuel around the number 5 injector.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I do not have a boost gauge yet. I took it for another run today. Going into the wind I was still able to 1900 rpm like yesterday. But coming back with the wind I was able to do 2200 rpm. I feathered it and went down a long hill, it was not a very big hill but a hill none the less. There is some fuel around the number 5 injector.
without the info from the boost gauge and an accurate pyrometer, you are just guessing. not an effective way to diagnose a problem

jsthnt@gmail.com

I went to the big car auction in Pierce, Ne. Saturday. I got a late start but I was hoping to get the top gear guys to put General Granite on tv again. unfortunately I got there to late for that. The nice thing about that is I was able to park right next to the cars and I didn't even have to pay for parking. There was one mv there, a 1949 suburban.
But I am getting off topic. I used this opportunity to adjust the fuel to get my power back. The wind was gale force and of course I had to drive right into it. And up there you have much bigger hills.
So I stopped several times to turn the fuel down and it seemed like I had more power and the egt's were lower. On the downside I am getting a lot of oil out of the bell housing, I think that I am getting some out of the slobber tube as well. I am most concerned with the oil out off the bell housing. By the end off the trip both ways the clutch started to slip. I was able to get up to 2400 rpm in 5th which is the best I have been able to do in well over a year.
All in all I had a great time, and was able to stop and talk to my parts guy.

jsthnt@gmail.com

New problem, it started to not want to start right away. I changed the primary filter to see if that would help. When I did that the in tank pump did not seem to fill the primary filter. I took the fuel line off at the in tank pump, and fuel came right out. I took the filter back off and fuel came out there. I can see the fuel in the line before the secondary filter and it does not push the air out to the secondary filter or out of the bleeder on top. So what is wrong? Thanks

Dhallftworth

New problem, it started to not want to start right away. I changed the primary filter to see if that would help. When I did that the in tank pump did not seem to fill the primary filter. I took the fuel line off at the in tank pump, and fuel came right out. I took the filter back off and fuel came out there. I can see the fuel in the line before the secondary filter and it does not push the air out to the secondary filter or out of the bleeder on top. So what is wrong? Thanks
Have you followed all of the bleeding instructions in the TM's?

jsthnt@gmail.com

I turned the pump on today and with the bleeder on the secondary I was able to get fuel out of the bleeder, but I do not see that the line has all the air out of it.
2 things that I was thinking.
1. could my secondary filters be clogged enough that it does not let fuel by. It ran fine the last time I ran it. I am trying to save up for spin on secondary filter, so I hope this is not the case.
2. When I cleaned out the tank I the bottom was out of the in tank pump. I put it back together but it was clear that this had happened before since there were 2 bottoms and to many spacers in the tank. Could I have put to many spacers in when I put it back together and riveted it so that it would not fall apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks