• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stock deuce 65 mph

tdevinjr

my 79 AMG. D- turbo will run 65 MPH with out going above 2500 RPM. does anyone else's do this i'm just wonderin if there might be something wrong. and it gets great fuel mileage like 12-14 mpg? o and did i mention it's my daily driver?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazyguyla

What engine is under the hood? i.e., hercules, white, contenetal...? I was in a NG duece that did 70, but it was wound out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the gear ratio's have been changed, or your tach or speedometer is reading incorrectly, this is not possible with bare bones stock.

Have you verified speed with a GPS unit or tag vehicle?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, sometimes the transfer case output has the wrong gear on it and shows numbers incorrectly. Have you verified speed?

tdevinjr

checked speed with a chase truck along side for a good 5 miles of highway,and no i'm not BS-ing why would i have asked DUH? it had a new hercules put in it in 1990, it belonged to the miss. res. acordinly, and what in the he!! is a XM35A2E1:?:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your transmission, what model is it? Also, how tall are the tires? It's possible but you either have to have a lower OD gear, taller tires or since you verified the speed, a bad tach reading. 65 would put you in the 3000 RPM range? Did you buy the truck from some guy named Tom?

tdevinjr

the tires are 900X20 titian hawk 373's it has the origanal tranny to my knowledge and i don't think the tach is bad and the guy's name was tony, but when changing from 3 to 4 it drops like 1200-1500 rpm?,and is there really suck a thing as a XM35A2E1 or am i gettin messed with here:?:

scrapman

The XM35A2E1 only exists in our imagination and was just kidding around. However the speed, mileage, & rpm are a combination not heard of before. If the 3-4 shift produces that much of a drop between gears it is possible you have some sort of a freakazoid transmission. Quite possibly built from several different broken cores resulting in a super overdrive in 5th gear. This would make it impractical for heavy loads. There is mathmatical formulas using tire size, gear ratio, engine speed, & road speed that you could use reverse engineering to figure out what the true gear ratios in the transmission are.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are messing with you tdevinjr, no such thing.

The only thing we are saying is the numbers don't add up, more than likely you have a bad tach. If you were doing 65mph then your engine would HAVE to be turning (with the stock gearing and 9x20 tires) at close to 3000rpm. I'd check that tach. 2cents

rivired

My truck drops WAY to low from 3rd to 4th too..it sucks cuz u gotta wind it wayyy out then u still almost bog...but then my 4th and 5th are so close its rediculous..

Even so im not getting anywhere near 65 under 2500..more like 2600 at 59

scrapman

Yeah, if the tach is giving you bogus numbers like that and you keep turning the motor that hard, soon an emergency rod exit opening will appear on the side of the block. I am suspecting a bad tach is leading you down the path of destruction. Keep your road speed to 50-55 mph and you won't have a problem. Just as a side question did you trade your Ford for this Deuce?

poof

Dirty Hippie
hmmm.. mine too... but I dont have more than 60 mph on my speed-O
it dose point to the HO in hours at 29/3K rpm.. never had a chase or GPS check it.. all stock 9x20 tires. i think its about 10 mph off.
Darn wish I had one of those XM35A2E1.. I better quit getting my hopes up.
only you guys have all the good stuff.:razz:
and your" 12-14 mpg " Rocks..at 65 mph
J.P.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the tires are 900X20 titian hawk 373's it has the origanal tranny to my knowledge and i don't think the tach is bad and the guy's name was tony, but when changing from 3 to 4 it drops like 1200-1500 rpm?,and is there really suck a thing as a XM35A2E1 or am i gettin messed with here:?:
is your shift pattern legible?

if you have the run of the mill 3053A transmission the pattern should be...

r 2 5

1 3 4

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure there is a 3053B with a different overdrive but they are rare as chicken lips. It would be worth the effort to have a looksee at that tranny data plate. Aside from that, what you are describing is mechanically impossible.

emr

My deuces will show 60 on a cool day on a flat smooth road and a slight decline....maybe even 62, but that was only after long show/parade days and the need to get home soooo... bad, ...

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
One thing that people should keep in mind is that these guages can be consistent without being accurate. My speedo can only indicate 60mph, but if you extrapolate the scale out I have had mine far enough out to be 65-67mph and I still have the 900 speedo adapter. If you crunch the numbers to correct for my 1100 tires that would work out to roughly 73mph.
What all this means is that there are three certainties...
Death,
Taxes,
and BFR's speedometer is off, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks