• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopped by the NCSHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True rmgill...that never made much sense to me...but it's how it is.
I can have a 40K pound RV and drive it right by the scale house in GA...and the MCCD will not give it a second look.
Let one of my carriers bypass a scale with a small car on the deck...way under 26K and watch the chase cars come out!

It's all about use...and whose version of what uses are allowed.
This just goes to show you that it's not about safety (as they claim) it's about money.

A trucking company makes sure it's drivers are qualified, is fully insured, and keeps safety records on all it's vehicles. = A pretty safe truck on the road. Yet they are taxed and hassled to death.

A 75 year old man in a 40' RV that has never driven anything bigger than a passenger car can head out with no worries with weight, log books, safety inspections, or anything.= A accident looking for a place to happen but for some reason the laws just turn a blind eye.

If the laws had anything to do with safety all heavy vehicles would be treated the same regardless of it's purpose. They go where the money is at though.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

This just goes to show you that it's not about safety (as they claim) it's about money.

A trucking company makes sure it's drivers are qualified, is fully insured, and keeps safety records on all it's vehicles. = A pretty safe truck on the road. Yet they are taxed and hassled to death.

A 75 year old man in a 40' RV that has never driven anything bigger than a passenger car can head out with no worries with weight, log books, safety inspections, or anything.= A accident looking for a place to happen but for some reason the laws just turn a blind eye.
As an ex-truck driver I have to disagree. look at some RVs that are 15-20 years old and how many miles are on them 35-50 k on most? Look at the 100s of thousands of trucks on the road and how many miles are on ones that is 4-5 years old 500 -700 K miles.

It is a huge difference in risk. Plus having worked for several Trucking companies I know that I don't want to be on the road with those trucks if the DMV wasn't on their backs constantly. I have quit Jobs because the employer wanted me to alter my log so it looked like I was driving a legal number of hrs when I had actually been driving for the last 15 hrs, they wanted me to sleep for 4 hrs and take off again. These are companies that have 100s of drivers altering their logs.... "Well all the other drivers don't have a problem with it, why will you not do it? "

Other companies want to show me how to brake when I hit the scale so I can run over loaded and not look like I am. (tanker)

The companies are out to make money and they will do what ever they can get away with.

Pops in his RV is doing 45 miles and hr and drives a small number of miles a year.

stumps

Also, the truck driver carrying freight is making money off of the road system, and because of his size, and the high number of miles he drives, he is causing a disproportionate amount of wear to the highways. It is only fair that he should be charged more for his use of the highways.

We, on the other hand, are just like the RV driver. We are big, but we travel few miles, and are doing it for pleasure, not commerce. Save for safety issues, we should be entirely left alone.

-Chuck

saddamsnightmare

February 20th, 2010.

I guess this is why my trucks are registered as pickups, with the 13,450 Lbs tare and 23,450 gross on the M35A2, and 6100 and 9100 lbs on the Unimog ditto. It keeps the cops off my tail when I'm hauling for myself (non-commercial). Texas does have a "Former MV" license, but there does seem to be controversy as to whether you can haul with it, mileage limitations and such. I do not believe the deuce is required to have the fuel sticker as a private pickup truck. If it does, there are a heck of a lot of duallies out there that are gonna be surprised.

I may be moving to NC temporarily on TDY duty, I believe I will leave the residence and the vehicles as Texas, cause the job's not guaranteed to run more then a year.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:wink:

Besides, I'm sure the cops would not like to do the conversion from KGS tare and loaded, as that is how the Unimog builders plate is written, but the conversion is as on the Lbs noted above and is correct.

Last edited:

wb1895

I spoke with a DMV officer today, who is a good friend, and he told me that I should have a really good chance of beating the citation based off of the antique tags. He said that because I was not hauling for profit, or any type of gain then I should be fine. I just have to file the appeal. I am going to contact him again on Monday to get his supervisors name.

mactiredearg

Definitely sounds like a bored cop told to go drum up $$$ for the gov'ment...
Being told to go write tickets to make up for a budget crunch was one of several reasons I told the Sheriff he wasnt paying me enough all those years ago.

Just to chime in on Colorado Law a registration as a Collector Vehicle requires the vehicle be a 1975 or earlier model, under 16k#s empty weight and cannot be used for commercial purposes. Thats it, no mileage or other limitations. Major benefit: you only have to do the emissions test when you register it (which is a big deal here). Major drawback: the plates/registration are good for 5 years at a time so make sure your checking account balance can handle it... Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Other Plates
This is how I've got mine reg'd. Had to go get a certified weight for it and everything when I went in to DMV.

If a vehicle is over 16k#s empty and you want to do a collector plate then it's considered a Collector Truck/Tractor and you get the whole mileage/parade limitations...
Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Other Plates

MVCC is getting a specialty MV registration put through the legislature here that doesnt have a weight limit and lets you run without plates as long as the vehicle ID is displayed (like painting it on the edge of the hood, etc). Not sure of the other details but since the MVCC President basically wrote the bill I wouldnt expect it to have many restrictions... :mrgreen:

tamangel

Definitely sounds like a bored cop told to go drum up $$$ for the gov'ment...
I doubt thats the case...I suspect the officer/trooper just didn't know his codes..happens all the time..

I never wrote a single citation that I wasn't sure that I could defend it in court.. Now the judge's interpretation is another story.. Good for you doing the research..

You might check with his supervisor and see if the cite can be voided prior to going to court, due to the wrong section. My ex department used to let us do that but later not able to..soon as ink hit paper that was it..if I wanted to change/correct it, I had to file an amended version and mail the new one to the violator..what a hassle ! But of course, if its written correctly in the first place, no need.. :)

Make sure you approach all involved with a good attitude and show that your'e just questioning the section you were cited under as being incorrect..and that other similar sections don't apply to your situation..

Good luck,

Mike

KsM715

Make sure you approach all involved with a good attitude and show that your'e just questioning the section you were cited under as being incorrect..and that other similar sections don't apply to your situation..

Good luck,

Mike
Good advice, dont go in trying show the "jerk/bored" cop that he was wrong.
Theres alot of people out there that dont understand how far a good attitude will go.

PackRatWrecker

Nother data point:

GS_20-37.16
§ 20‑37.16. Content of license; classifications and endorsements; fees.
(e) The requirements for a commercial drivers license do not apply to vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles.

So Recreational vehicles are non commercial motor vehicles. Even though they may weigh as much as and be sized as Commercial motor vehicles.
Not tryin to split hairs, but you are talking about 2 different things. Your statute refers to CDL requirements for RV's, NOT vehicle registration requirements.

I agree that it is ridiculous to restrict a vehicle to 4k, just because it is registered as an antique. Any vehicle, not substantially altered, can be registered as an antique, here in KS. That means EVERY truck older than a 1975 model can be tagged antique. How useless would it be to have a 2-ton farm truck, with a 4k limit. That wouldn't cover the chassis cab, without a bed.

ARYankee

This is a very good thread because it really brings out the topic of registration and licensing along with all the legal requirements. It really does pay to do your homework before you register or even purchase any large MV. Now I'm not trying to say that folks aren't doing their homework because you can only go by what the DMV says and has printed. I know we all aren't legal experts and they make it tough to read and understand the laws. I think the biggest issue with this is the DMVs and law enforcement don't exactly know because of the types of vehicles we drive along with how we use them. I've tried to do my best to get as much info here in AR so I can be legal and also share it with any other MVers in the state. I've also noticed it depends on who you deal with and where. It would be nice to see it all uniform but that is just a dream.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to purchasing my 5 ton I consulted with parking and commercial enforcement representatives of my local PD. I also reviewed all applicable sections of the state vehicle code. I just didn't want any real surprises after delivery.

rmgill

Not tryin to split hairs, but you are talking about 2 different things. Your statute refers to CDL requirements for RV's, NOT vehicle registration requirements.
Not so. IT says "vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles"

"such as" is an example. Moreover, a recreational vehicle used for a business would NOT be exempt.

jblack6527

Regarding the fuel sticker, if you NC drivers will look on the back of your most recent registration card, it clearly states that all vehicles having three axles or more, regardless of weight must have a fuel sticker.

I think the reason he pulled you, is he saw you coming out of the Quarry, and saw the antique tags, figured there was a great possibility you were overweight, and/or trying to haul without commercial plates. My antique tag registration states that my GVWR is 4000 pounds, so even if there isn't a weight restriction on them, I'm overweight just by that alone.

wb1895

Okay, my ticket is still pending, but here is what I found out....

I spoke with a Major with the NC Motor Carrier Enforcement section, He told me that we can still run the antique tags on our trucks BUT we must go to the DMV tag office and purchase additional weight to cover the weight of the deuce and whatever we plan on hauling in them.

In NC we must also purchase a fuel decal because out trucks are tri axle. We must contact our tax office and buy the decal for $50.00. We then must report our mileage to the tag office for additional taxes....

I believe that it is time for a rally at the state capital building....

tamangel

make sure you get all the applicable statutes and code sections he is citing.. and then ask another person or two in different locations, the same questions..just 'cause he's a Major doesn't mean he has ALL of his 'ducks in a row'on this.. Little details sometimes slip thru the cracks, especially if you have been on the job a long time.. I used to learn something everyday by reading the vehicle code..(quiet night patrols.. :) )

Mike

“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
James Joyce

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2010.

OUCH!

I put in for a term position with Cape Hatteras Lighthouse for the summer, position to go no more then 13 months then subject to extension. I believe I will leave my residence in Texas to stay the heck outta the way of this problem, or bring the Unimog which is not 3 axles......

:twisted: Duck boys, I hear incoming BS rounds!:p

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:???:

Green_gator

It sounds like it is time to drop an axle off of your deuce and run only two. Lowers your weight and gets you out of the three axle issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.