• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stranded in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Firehound

Chevy K20 (basically a CUCV pickup) and M101. Stranded in Grand Junction, Colorado. Trying to get home to Houston, TX. Will pay $$$!!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Grand Junction is a nice place to be stranded, Mo better than the jungle.
I know, I know, that comment did Not help at all.
Last time I was stranded in GJ I rented an plane and went and looked around.
Place was built by the railroads.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a thousand miles away, best hot shot haul rate you will get is $2.00/mile, suggest fix whatever failed right there with that money rather than blow it on hauling.

Firehound

That’s a thousand miles away, best hot shot haul rate you will get is $2.00/mile, suggest fix whatever failed right there with that money rather than blow it on hauling.
I've been at it for 3 days... changed almost everything. I'll pay the hotshot rate, if someone knows a reputable hot shotter!

Firehound

Dude next time put out a sos on here, most of us are squarebody Chevy sme’s so chances are we could have walked you through your issues.
I will! I didnt, because it's not a CUCV, and I didn't want to get in trouble.

But, I'm at a loss. It bogs down and dies at speed. Idle? Purrs like a kitten. Not a fuel issue, not a spark issue. 3 days in, and I, and my mechanic buddy's are out of ideas... I've replumbed the fuel to come out of the transfer tank in the bed through an electrical pump. Swapped carbs (carb #3 going on right now) replaced the ignition coil and ignition control module....
(1986 K20 pickup. 4speed manual, 400 small block.)

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

But, I'm at a loss. It bogs down and dies at speed. Idle? Purrs like a kitten. Not a fuel issue, not a spark issue. 3 days in, and I, and my mechanic buddy's are out of ideas... I've replumbed the fuel to come out of the transfer tank in the bed through an electrical pump. Swapped carbs (carb #3 going on right now) replaced the ignition coil and ignition control module....
Not to confuse the issue at hand, but do you have a way to check your timing? I had a similar problem on an 84 Oldsmobile on my way back home from TX once, and the cause was my timing gear missing several teeth. Good luck to you, hope you make it home safely.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you check the wires? When resistor wires degrade they don't pass enough energy to fire the plug when the engine is under load.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a compression check, possibly cooked some pistons at altitude. Also, feed directly from a fuel can strapped to the roof to the carb, to eliminate tank/pump problems. Check timing chain and gears. Lastly throw a new complete distributor in it before paying 2k to have it towed. Or a fully dressed junkyard motor, as far as that goes...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Did you ever figure out what was causing your problem?

Firehound

I may be heading down that way this week , pm me if you still need help.
The truck is down here in Texas now, but if you're good with setting timing, come on down!! At this point, I think that it has to have skipped a tooth on the timing chain... I'm really tempted to throw a 6.2 in it at this point!!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can usually rock the motor back and forth and get an idea how sloppy the timing chain is by watching the rotor button. Also, trying to time a distributor if the vale timing is out is going to be a futile effort.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks