• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sudden oversupply of m923's ??

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I saw, before they changed everything, that a couple were parting out 025's.
I am interested in talking with someone on what it would take to add the complete
winch system, controls, hydrolics and everything else to a M923a1 from a M925
pr would it be cheaper to by a M925
Mark

SPCWarning

What is the word on " driving a 900 series truck" I would imagine you would need a CDL to drive them in any state. I don't think they are old enough for Antique status either. The 900 series are awesome but I am happy with my M813 for now.
1986 and older are considered antique. 25 years. Not sure about the Commercial Liscense.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with M939 series trucks is parts availability. I am not saying that parts are unavailable, but the surplus guys generally don't have stocks of parts like they do for the M44, M39 and M809 series trucks. This could change., As they get rid of the trucks, they inevitably will get rid of parts stocks. However, go try to find an M939 series windshield assembly (I am talking about the glass, frame and outer seal). I just called around for a small hydraulic valve for my dump and was quoted $650!

greenjeepster

If they gross over 26 K than by federal law you need a CDL. Some states will issue an air brake endorsement on a regular license as long as the vehicle is under 26 K.

jstier

1986 and older are considered antique. 25 years. Not sure about the Commercial Liscense.
I am only speaking for Indiana
My truck is an 86 so I have it reg as antique, Plate must be in truck but not on it. No CDL required. According to Indiana State police and Dept of Motor vehicle. I am not saying anyone should just hop in and drive. I have driven Class A diesel pusher motor coaches for years and am used to air brakes and the attention required to drvie something that has a GVW of 45,000lbs

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If we go back over 3+ years ago, this was put out that 2014 will be the end for the 939 series. For the old crew, David Frankenhauser put this out several months before his untimely passing. And we've had several updates since. So it has been anticipated.

From my intell, that switch is going pretty much on timeline and there was a recent surge. The cargo versions are on or ahead of schedule. The delays are in the more specialized versions such as wreckers, vans, expandos, extended beds, and the M1095 trailers. There is also issues with mounting fuel pods to replace the 932 as the tank and pump unit and the M1095 trailers hauling the additional 600 gallon pod. I have heard one VERY UNCONFIRMED rumor that there will be a switch to a purposely built fuel hauler to reduce the c/g as much as possible and thus reduce the flipping hazard.

Keep in mind the govt just switched to a new budget year on Oct 1st. That usually means transportation delays for stuff going to DRMO and eventually GL. The debt debate/nuclear option may really cause significant issues with moving stuff. It's not just the idea the equipment is excess and no longer a deployable asset, the govt also has to waste a huge sum of money moving this stuff around 5 or 6 times before they sell it for a pittance.

BTW, the 915s that were selling in MS recently were turned in from some units well over a year ago and I'd say nearly 2 years ago. It goes to show how long some of this stuff can sit before being sold. If it is considered for FMS (foreign military sales) it can sit a long, long, long time if something happens during the deal.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The problem with M939 series trucks is parts availability. I am not saying that parts are unavailable, but the surplus guys generally don't have stocks of parts like they do for the M44, M39 and M809 series trucks. This could change., As they get rid of the trucks, they inevitably will get rid of parts stocks. However, go try to find an M939 series windshield assembly (I am talking about the glass, frame and outer seal). I just called around for a small hydraulic valve for my dump and was quoted $650!

Should have come to the rally. I had and still have 939 windshield u channel frames, seals, glass (no hinge portion that I know of). I think I still have a dozen (6 pair) left of the frames and seals. Not sure about the glass. I'll have to measure, but I may have an entire windshield assy (but it's buried under a ton of stuff and won't see light for a few months). I'm coming north this week through your area on a VERY narrow timeline.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is that no one wants to hear what people who know are saying.. Remeber when M35A2's were listed by the hundreds a year or 2 ago on GL? Now look for them. The flood of 900 series 5 tons has started. I think the smart vendors will buy trucks to part out, as spare parts supplies just arent out there like they are for CUCV/HMMWV/M35 series... Just my .02...

Monkeyboyarmy

If they gross over 26 K than by federal law you need a CDL. Some states will issue an air brake endorsement on a regular license as long as the vehicle is under 26 K.

This is true if it is going to be used as a commercial vehicle. I can legally drive a semi truck and trailer,loaded to 80,000 pounds,for my own personnal use and not need a cdl. But I bet that I would be proving my case in court after my first run-in with local leo's. It's just like fighting the open carry of hand guns.For some reason they don't like it....up north here anyway. My 923 is licensed as historical and I do not require a cdl. But I am limited on what I can use it for.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Texas folks-
You don't need a CDL, but you do need a Class A license (same for the M809 series trucks, it is a weight thing). The Class A means you have met the requirements for a CDL, but don't have to do the physical or pay the high fees, or keep the log books etc..
The caveat is that you cannot haul anything for any form of compensation. It is basically for farm trucks, volunteer firemen, and, by default, collectors. It is known in the DMV as "the ag exemption".

Clarification of an earlier comment- The M939 series is being (pretty much has been) replaced in the Marine Corps (and a few for the Squids) by the MTVR. The Army is replacing them with the FMTV trucks.

While I dearly love my M813, and wouldn't dream of selling it, the gaps between gears make towing a heavy trailer a bit of a pain, it being rather hilly in my part of the world. My M931's transmission has no 'gaps' and hauls something heavy (a V100, for example) a bit smoother and better for me.

There's my 2cents, if its even worth that! As always, your mileage may vary, contents may settle in shipment, and there is a 10% restocking fee...

Cheers

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I won't have to get a CDL after all :beer:

Oregon's requirements:

"Generally, you must have a CDL to operate a motor vehicle on highways or premises open to the public in Oregon if the gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating is greater than 26,000 pounds, the vehicle is used to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or the vehicle is used to transport hazardous materials. Exceptions exist for recreational vehicles operated solely for personal use, certain farm vehicles when the driver is operating within the limitations of a farm endorsement, emergency fire vehicles operated by firefighters as defined in ORS 652.050, and emergency vehicles operated by emergency service workers as defined in ORS 401.025."

greenjeepster

This is true if it is going to be used as a commercial vehicle. I can legally drive a semi truck and trailer,loaded to 80,000 pounds,for my own personnal use and not need a cdl. My 923 is licensed as historical and I do not require a cdl. But I am limited on what I can use it for.
Here is Ohios revised statute. Back when I was driving a truck for a living, Ohio was the one state we could guarantee we would not win an appeal of a Motor Vehicle Violation in.... Truck drivers hate Ohio... Only state I have ever received a ticket in.

Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.01 (D)
The classes of CDL and the commercial motor vehicles that they authorize the operation of are as follows: [ - ]
Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds;
Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a class A or class B vehicle, but that either is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers including the driver;
Any school bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds that is designed to transport fewer than sixteen passengers including the driver;
Is transporting hazardous materials for which placarding is required under subpart F of 49 C.F.R. part 172;
Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is designed to be operated and to travel on a public street or highway and is considered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to be a commercial motor vehicle, including, but not limited to, a motorized crane, a vehicle whose function is to pump cement, a rig for drilling wells, and a portable crane.

Monkeyboyarmy

That is for COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES. I talked to the Ohio DMV at some length and privately owned vehicles do not fall under the rules of cmv's. But I haven't tested this theory to any length.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
M923 parts needed

I need a starter and 100 amp alternator for a M923A1. it is a 1986.
I also need a fuel tank cap.
I read a couple were of people were parting some out. let me know please.
Mark

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is for COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES. I talked to the Ohio DMV at some length and privately owned vehicles do not fall under the rules of cmv's. But I haven't tested this theory to any length.

Ohio has lots of exemptions:

Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ + ]
  • A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated in the CFR, a CDL is only needed when the vehicle is used for the furtherance of a commercial venture. With that in mind, you would still need the license that covers the weight class of vehicle you are driving.

For example: Here in Maryland, if your single truck is over 26,000 lbs., then you need a class B or higher. If it's your private vehicle and you NEVER use it for any money making venture, no CDL needed.

If your combination truck is over 26,000 lbs., and you have a trailer over 10,000 lbs., then you need a class A. Again, if it's your private vehicle and you NEVER use it for any money making venture, no CDL needed.

Keep in mind also that the weight limitation counts for actual weight, registered weight, OR manufacturer's rated weight.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated in the CFR, a CDL is only needed when the vehicle is used for the furtherance of a commercial venture. With that in mind, you would still need the license that covers the weight class of vehicle you are driving.

For example: Here in Maryland, if your single truck is over 26,000 lbs., then you need a class B or higher. If it's your private vehicle and you NEVER use it for any money making venture, no CDL needed.

If your combination truck is over 26,000 lbs., and you have a trailer over 10,000 lbs., then you need a class A. Again, if it's your private vehicle and you NEVER use it for any money making venture, no CDL needed.

Keep in mind also that the weight limitation counts for actual weight, registered weight, OR manufacturer's rated weight.
Do you have any idea of how our wonderful state would handle this given a historic registration? I have always wondered because the GVW on the registration is "N/A", presumably because you are not supposed to haul anything except your own butt around. In that scenario, I would imagine they would use the truck weight. If so, then almost any 5-ton is cool. On the other hand, if they go by manufacturer's rated weight, it could be a problem for some guys.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's handled by which ever is the highest. If there's no registered weight listed, then it would come down to actual or rated. The highest one wins, and the unknowing driver unfortunately loses. The regular road guys don't normally mess with weight related regulations, they would usually call the commercial vehicle guys if it was important enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks