I've thought about your post and I have to agree. People need a place to "vent" about OT stuff. The people that don't like to read that sort of stuff can just skip over it. Seems like a better way than people posting OT post in the regular forums (which happens from time to time) and people getting "bent all out of shape". SS seems a tad bit too serious as of late.My suggestion is to have a General Chat Forum, for MV or non MV topics, and I have a plan to implement it so it does not cause any problems on the forum.
1. Make specific rules for what is and isn't allowed in there, and make it a sticky.
2. Find a good moderator who is willing to monitor it and enforce the rules.
---I do not particularly want to volunteer, but if it depends on getting the section, I will.
3. Most people I believe read the front page posts. Vbulletin has the option to not display posts from particular forums on the front page, I believe the off topic forum should never be seen on the front page. Keep the main focus MV related posts. You would only see off topic posts if you went looking for them.
4. As moderators in other forums find innappropriate posts, but not against the site rules, these posts could be dumped in off-topic. Keep the forum clean, but the users happy. Users should be notified that their posts are innappropriate for the particular forum they posted.
5. Anything out of line should be dealt with promptly.
I believe if we had this, a lot of the aggravation on both sides of this issue could be solved.
The main site would stay MV focused and clean, and it would also offer the users to be able to discuss other life issues with their friends and peers without having to go off elsewhere.
Just my 2 cents, but I really believe it could work, 99% of the users here could handle appropriate posting duties in that section.
This is the most mature and wonderful forum I have ever been a part of, and thank you and everyone for providing me with the experience.