• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions Wanted! Your Input Is Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A super duper easy to use member map that includes maybe a picture of the member and a quicklink to their profile.

A link to a member's classfied(s) ad(s) in their user profile.

A photo album that pulls it's albums from the individual member's albums (so a browser doesn't have to go to each persons album just to see pics).

A rally held in the snow that is within 15 hours in a Deuce from Athens Ga rofl

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a small donation to the site and you can get a decoder ring, Donate right now, and I'll double the offer, that's 2 decoder rings for one site donation. But you must pay now!:wink:
I don't believe that even a dozen Secret Decoder Rings would help decypher that one:!:
I have a framed certificate on my wall commemorating my graduation from the National School of Applied Cryptologic Sciences, Goodfellow AFB, Texas 1975. Even that education and years of further development in the code making/breaking arena did not prepare me to decode that oblique message.
Therefore, if you'd really like to know what the root message was, I would recommend an intervention and detoxification program prior to a retransmission.
Awww Sh**.... Why worry about it:?:

On the other hand... I wouldn't care how much DogHead syphoned off any donation to this site... It's such a great MV Forum/Resource that a little DH skimming should be permitted.

I salute all those making this site so awesome:!:

zout

movement

I will try to move my lips slower so the rest can understand my secret code - I found in 40 yrs ago smoking less doobie - helped memory and understanding.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New here. Agree with much that has already been stated. Appreciate the VAST amount of knowledge and understanding that I have witnessed here on S.S. THANK YOU for the tremendous amount of hard work all the Admin and Mods put in. Wife and I come here for information and entertainment. Actually bought the Raven Deuce from a member. Discretion, patience, understanding, and co-operation go a long way for a new member like myself. Wonderful site. Thank you Chris!
God bless!
Tony:-D
ps, I do miss the popcorn smiley :cry:

jimmcld

Love the site Chris. You have done an outstanding job.

One thing an old fart like me would like to see is larger fonts, and more contrast in the background. I know we all like green but there is a reason that almost all paper is white.

Thanks again,

Jim

GoldComet6

I'd like to say first....this is a great site as is. Lots of info and great people.

My Suggestion:

1) A specific forum :)?:) called maybe "MVs - Getting started." It would be a place for people new to MVs (like me) to find info. Members could post to things related to buying an MV, basic specs of them, what to look for when buying your first M1009 or Deuce or trailer. Stuff not always in the manuals - their tips, experience, or suggestions. Maybe even include some things on basic maintenance - perhaps a video or pics of a member changing wheel bearings or replacing brake shoes.

2) Maybe a roster where folks could list who they are, where they live and what they own. Member access only and they list the specifics about them only if they want too. Might help people know who is around them and what they own. If it could be downloaded into a spreadsheet, it could be printed and carried with you if you were traveling or going to pick-up. Just in case you needed help. Perhaps the map that has alredy been mentioned would address some of this.

Thanks for the opportunity to give my imput!!

2cents2cents

Last edited:

littlebob

I agree with the deleting of members that have not posted in over a year. Also, maybe add a search feature to the members list.
Bringing back the PS mag to the main screen would help with the newb questions because most of the questions are covered there.
A moderator list under the resources tab or somewhere else easily found would be good. The idea of having your classifieds in UCP is a good one, it is difficult to find and edit/delete the ads you post
How about a section that lets us submit how to articles with step by step pics so they can be available for the next person doing or having issues with the same project.
I also agree, the member locator map should be able to be easily accessed from the main page. It would probably get more use that way.
That's all for now, i'm sure I can think of other things to keep Chris busy :wink:

This site has changed..some of it for the better...some not. It is still the best resource for information and help for the MV enthusiast. I have had the pleasure of meeting easily 20 people through this site, that's alot considering us westies are spread thin compared to the east coast guys, and they all are top of the pile when it comes to human beings. They would give you the shirt off their backs. Sometimes when a sentence is typed, it does not come out on the screen in a post the way it was ment to come out. When we see that, and it makes you feel bent or offended, stop, sit back go back through the thread and re read it. Most of the time, the person reading it takes it the wrong way, the person that typed it had no intention of offending anyone. I guess what i'm trying to say is the same thing Chris posted earlier, just try and give the person a bit of respect, we aren't writers, we are mechanics, dentists, farmers, electricians, students, stay at home parents, whatever. Just try to treat the person on the other side of the screen with the same respect you'd give them if they were standing in front of you.

OK, rant off....for now!:roll:
Will's post sums it up best for me especially the part about members or moderators misunderstang the intent of the typist. I usually type late and after a few beers, I never plan or intend to be offinsive. I've made posts just before going to bed and sometimes find will find a comment by a moderator just under mine and
not sure if there for me or not when I wake up. I also I have been sucked into a thread and have forgotten all of the rules and where we are. If I screw up I have no problem with a moderator PMing and letting me know if I was the object of thier comments, because maybe I wasn't and then I'm confused and upset about it for nothing.
Overall I think this is the best site out there. This is the first forum I have ever gotten involved with and the only one I ever came back to again and again.
To all of the members and staff/moderators keep up the good work at keeping it the best site out there and doing your best to keep it on the cutting edge!:-D:beer:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be nice to see the seller location on the classified ads page, not just in each ad.
Ditto - he beat me to it.

Ditto also to all who said this was a great site, and thanks for the hard work by all involved to make it such.

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

Westfolk, I agree 100% on the search. I have started just going into the "advanced search" type in what I'm looking for in what section of the forum I want and it actually is not that painless!

For example, I was looking for fan belts for a m818. I used the normal search and it showed a ton of things for 5 ton and fan belts. I went into the advanced search and searched just the 5 ton forum. What I was looking for came up on the first page.

runk

search index

I also don't have the best luck with the search, and I'm a fairly experienced computer / database user / admin. More then once I've spent and hour or more searching for a subject (say, mufflers on a deuce) and think I've found the answers, and the next day another newbie posts (say, how do I add a muffler to a deuce) and the first useful post from an experienced member who knows the search tricks lists 2 or 3 better threads then I found !

So, my suggestions -
1) A tricks and trips wiki page for the searches
2) An index of treads ? There must be a automated tool for this out there somewhere, but it would still probably need a lot of time to keep it useful.
3) A list of keywords that you could tag your posts with, maybe based on common searches ?

Oh, and the site has been awesome, by far the most useful subject site I use!

littlebob

Heres one that would make things much easier...Spell check, and grammer check. I know you can write it up in Word and then cut and paste to the link, but thats a little more time consuming.
My two cents
Branan
I found we have spellcheck today and remembered your post. It may have already been addressed, but if you just right click on your reply it will give you options that include it.

Jones

How about a Fabricator's Section? One to carry posts for MV parts and accessories in general, so one wouldn't have to scan the entire forum to glean ideas for improvements or ideas.
I'm forever cranking out some little bracket or odd-ball part for the baby HEMTT; but a lot of this stuff could be used on almost all military vehicles. (See picture of the latest; a first aid kit bracket-- beats pawing around under the seats for a band-aid when you're gushing arterial blood).
Also included could be specialty tooling and mechanical tricks make a lot of jobs faster, easier and safer.
Posting that kind of stuff in one location could give others tips and additional ways to get a given job done.
But REMEMBER-- if you post an idea or part, someone will copy it... count on that.
If you want to share in order to make the hobby more fun, you've done good--
if you're gonna patent the idea and make a million; don't post it then complain.

Also; encouraging more self-policing--
Seems like we've kinda been wandering far afield on some threads lately. Staying focused on the site's purpose; that of sharing information, help, and encouragement to newbie and oldbie alike. That's a big step in keeping a positive image of MVers and military vehicle collecting in the forefront.
Last time I checked, Chris and the mods didn't need the additional job of being playground monitors in an OD daycare center.

Attachments

stampy

It may have already been said but how about some newbie stickys with answers to common questions..(like how to use the Search featre) mpg/top speed :-D

Westex

How about being able to deal with defalcations of GL as far as bids go....perhaps a bigger, badder liason unit within this site. That from a new guy (relatively) who reads more than he (or she) posts.

Subjock

Amazing site! What a tremendous resource and gift to those of us who didn't work in the motorpool! :-D I've just been here a few days and I'm sure I've learned enough to save me much future grief and cash.
One idea,( if I havn't missed it) is to include an items wanted section along with the classifieds.
Once again, Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks