• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions Wanted! Your Input Is Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceRobson

A reorganized TM section. I've turned wrenches on this stuff since 1976 and still have trouble finding all the TMs in the RESOURCES section.

The DOD publishes a List of Applicable Publications (LOAP) for most equipment. The list covers (where applicable) operation, parts, maintenance, storage, transportation, troubleshooting etc.

If Mike or another administrator were willing to screen and post them, I'd be willing to start pulling together the LOAPs for the common vehicles and trailers and feed them to him.

That would allow headings such as "M44/M35 2-1/2 ton FOV" (FOV=Family of Vehicles) or "Trailers, 5 Ton and Under" Then if somebody finds one we missed, it would be easy to add them to the correct FOV or category.

It would also help identify what pubs we are still lacking and hunt them down.

Lance

GoHot229

Well I'll admit that I failed to read all 60 or so previous posts, but heres my suggestion : In the upcoming events, an automatic delete when the time frame of the event has come and gone delete or else put into archive, therefore you wouldnt have to sift through all the Events, many of which are long gone. It would make it a section where you could look at a glance and see upcoming stuff. Mabe even state by state index.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A reorganized TM section. I've turned wrenches on this stuff since 1976 and still have trouble finding all the TMs in the RESOURCES section.

The DOD publishes a List of Applicable Publications (LOAP) for most equipment. The list covers (where applicable) operation, parts, maintenance, storage, transportation, troubleshooting etc.

If Mike or another administrator were willing to screen and post them, I'd be willing to start pulling together the LOAPs for the common vehicles and trailers and feed them to him.

That would allow headings such as "M44/M35 2-1/2 ton FOV" (FOV=Family of Vehicles) or "Trailers, 5 Ton and Under" Then if somebody finds one we missed, it would be easy to add them to the correct FOV or category.

It would also help identify what pubs we are still lacking and hunt them down.

Lance
Thanks for volunteering your time and efforts. I am intrigued by your idea. I will talk with Mike and see what we can arrange.

Srjeeper

Mine is not so much a suggestion as a request. :roll:

I'm scared of changes made to a website because me and computers are from generations that are decades apart. :evil:

It seems like I just about get things figured out and along comes a change of some sort and I'm right back in "computer hell" again. :twisted:

The change is not the problem, it's the fact that the only way me and other 'older members' have of learning something new on a computer is by trial & error. Believe me when I tell ya there's more error than trial at this stage of the game (just ask the wife). :oops:

So when you folks start changing things up, please keep in mind that many of us are not members of Bill Gates family and 'keep it simple', PLEASE. [thumbzup]

Peepaw

My only real problem that I've noticed is the site always seems to load slow for me.
As far as the frequently asked topics. If you don't want to answer just move along. The do a proper search reply gets very old very fast.
I've been on the net for over 15 years and my search foo is pathetic.:roll:
I can spend hours searching and come up with nothing. Seeing as I'm on the road for five days a week, I really hate to waste a lot of time searching.
It would probably be different if I was any good at it.
Maybe just some stickies up top with the most commonly asked questions.
All in all I love the site.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are alot of little graphics that load. If the site is really too slow, you can set the browser to not load images automatically (might cause some isues navigating) and also you can set it to use your own default text and background colors and fonts instead of the site colors and fonts, which will speed things up a bit as well.

Armada

I also would like to see the TM section revamped and made more user friendly. I have mentioned it in the past regarding the difficulty or moreso the slowness in navigating it. Not everyone knows the TM # they are looking for so when searching by title there is not much in the way of order. There should be a sort command or option. I like the FOV idea, that would help. It needs to be segregated by group or family or ?. Comm. equip., 2.5T's, 5T's, trailers, gensets, misc., etc. At least that would shorten the list up of what you have to search through. I would also be willing to help with that.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but another thing I would really like to see is a larger 'message' or 'reply' box when responding to a thread or a PM, especially in the PM section as it is even smaller I think. Kind of a pain when you go to scroll the message back up after about 4 or 5 lines and then the whole page scrolls. Know what I mean?

Maybe some more emoticons added too? I've always wanted a 'salute' one.
2cents

Csm Davis

great site guys, what about a forum for titles and tags? you could have one thread for each state and one for posting about any states and D.O.T. stories. I have seen many post in different places needing help getting their rigs tagged, even as a cop I have had problems getting a MV tagged and titled.

Marcel

I have recently converted my air operated windshield wipers to electric windshield wipers on my M51A2 dump whistler. The kit that I used originates from the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command in Warren Michigan. Now that I have installed this kit successfully I am left with drawings, material list and installation instructions for electrical windshield wiper accessory kit 57K3240. I thought that Steel Soldiers would benefit from these documents and would like to share them with my fellow MV afficianodos. How can I go about posting these documents for all to benefit?

Marcel

This is a very good site and cudo's to all that work on it. I have tried to find different threads using your search engine and have been unable to find what I was looking for. Perhaps a more intuitive search engine would be in order. Keep up the good work guys.

stampy

maps with locations (general) of people willing to assist with MV related problems when in route (ie: recovery or movement to rallies etc) along with phone numbers. Update every year sent as a Pm to all members linked to the thread. So you could have a map between locations you were traveling to-from with help listed along the way this would be invaluable!:)

Marcel

Whenever someone is discussing their particular MV by designation I do not always know what vehicle or piece of equipment they are talking about. For instance I don't know what a M105A2 is or an M60a1. It would be very helpful if I could match up the number designation with the actual picture or drawing of the equipment. Perhaps if I could highlight the number designation and right mouse click a picture and explanation would appear in a pop up box or something like that. 2cents

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maps with locations (general) of people willing to assist with MV related problems when in route (ie: recovery or movement to rallies etc) along with phone numbers. Update every year sent as a Pm to all members linked to the thread. So you could have a map between locations you were traveling to-from with help listed along the way this would be invaluable!:)
I agree, that general locations would be better than GPS coordinates (for those worried about Big Brother or other "threats"). At least out here in Texas, the thought of using Counties as the basis of location might be helpful.2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks