• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supplies for a Long Trip

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure you're downloaded a Bible app onto your phone.
Whether you're road-trippin' or just livin' life, carrying the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth (BIBLE) is always recommended.

Carry on.

John
SS Chaplain
I've had the Bible with me since I got my first smart phone. I still have my analog version at home as well, but doesn't fit in my pocket and the ones that do won't work as I don't have room to carry a magnifying glass. :naner:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to pick up a cushion for your passenger seat as in pillow or a soft blanket. Your wife will thank you for it unless she is driving. I can't tolerate more than about 40 miles at a stretch on that bench seat.
The box passenger seat was removed and a 2nd driver's seat was installed on the passenger side so her ride will be the same as mine. Definitely planning to stop for cushions if we need them (flying there to get it so can't take too much with us). I'm taking the torque multiplier I bought with me (just in case).

I heard somewhere (not sure where) that the lug nuts on the driver side are threaded opposite of the passenger side (who came up with that idea???). Not positive if that is true, as it really seems illogical.

Another Ahab

I heard somewhere (not sure where) that the lug nuts on the driver side are threaded opposite of the passenger side (who came up with that idea???). Not positive if that is true, as it really seems illogical.
This issue has been addressed before in at least one other thread on here. As I recollect:

- At one time this was true as a rule.

- The engineering behind it related to avoiding loosened lug nuts from tire rotation.

- After a while (apparently) experience proved it wasn't necessary and so now all lug nuts are right-hand threaded.

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This issue has been addressed before in at least one other thread on here. As I recollect:

- At one time this was true as a rule.

- The engineering behind it related to avoiding tire rotation contributing to loosened lug nuts.

- After a while (apparently) experience proved it wasn't necessary and so now all lug nuts are right-hand threaded.
Thanks for the info. I am trying to read everything here.... So many threads, so little time. ;-)

Concerning the "At one time this was true as a rule." Would that happen to include the 1970 Kaiser Jeep M35A2? That is the year and model I will be picking up.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I am trying to read everything here.... So many threads, so little time. ;-)

Concerning the "At one time this was true as a rule." Would that happen to include the 1970 Kaiser Jeep M35A2? That is the year and model I will be picking up.
Reading this TM will answer most of your questions , it should be read by everyone before operating .

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We were actually planning to get a GoPro camera & do kind of a documentary of our journey. Not the whole trip (come watch my home videos... for 3-4 days), just interesting parts. This is the longest road trip we have ever done so it is going to a grand adventure & the maiden voyage of our new-to-us M35A2. I'm planning to bring my laptop or at least my phone for uploading images to the site as we go.

The trip is from Bloomington, Indiana, passing through Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, & Flagstaff, AZ. I had planned a more backwoods route (save about 40-miles), but most people on here said the main roads were a smarter choice (just in case).

Travel time allotted is pickup 9 May & arrive NLT (with The Lord's help) 13 May. I was hoping to make the trip in 3-days, but members here suggest that may be too aggressive a timeline. However, I always try to over plan so hopefully I'll be back home in time to not get fired from work.

:)
The GOPRO camera is a great idea. It will record everything which could come in handy in case you are involved in a 'road incident' and I'm not saying you will but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Plus you can make a copy from it's SD memory card every night onto your laptop, giving you more space for the trip OR you can use multiple memory cards for the trip. Hard memory is cheap.

Plus my memory has taken on the consistency of swiss chesse when I try to replay said memories in my mind sometimes.

Your cell phone (smart phone?) is ok for a short recording of a given planned video. But taking your laptop along for the ride means you can write it all down each night and copy the videos every night onto the laptop. That means you can recall specifics ten year down the road.

I own the Road Master 2005 LARGE PRINT ROAD ATLAS - it cost me $20 - 11 years ago when I made my trip in my M1028A2 dually all those years ago. From Scranton, PA to Denver, Co. It was made for truckers with ALL the stops for big rigs.

And I too considered the 'back woods' roads, mainly because you CAN go slower. BUT with all the 'help' in the form of repair shops and big rig shops along the main interstate systems, it just made more sense to use the interstates.

PLUS you have an opportunity to see other people (ARMY for instance) that will use the interstate to transport people, vehicles, etc that you won't see on the back roads. One fuel stop I pulled into a fuel station and low and behold, there were three or four Humvees and several larger trucks (M1079's and a couple of the Hemmets).

So not a negative in my book.

Plan your trip so it either starts on a Saturday or ends on a Sunday, that ADDS two days to your possible trip, padding your time by 48 hours, just in case.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I can't recall what year was mentioned as being the end of the old approach.

Another Ahab

My 1971 Jeep m35a2 has left left handed nuts.
I'm curious:

- Is there a mark or indication of any kind on the nut to give you a heads-up that it's left-handed threads?

That's the criminal thing about the darn things, you can encounter them and have NO warning that you're up against the cosmic joke that they are.

aua

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of mopar's had the reverse thread. I know my grandfather bought a new dodge pickup in 1980 and it still had them.

rustystud

Well considering my 1988 came with Left and Right hand threaded nuts I'm sure yours will too.

rustystud

It took me 2 years to read all the Deuce posts. I started on the very first posts and worked my way to the present posts. I forgot to take notes for the first year. Later on I would print out sections where certain threads held really good information. I have "3" four inch thick binders filled with posts and pictures. Even though I'm a Master Mechanic there is a lot of information I never knew about these military trucks. Thankfully the members here believe in sharing their hard earned knowledge. Also you'd be surprised how many "engineers" there are on this site ! They bring a vast amount of knowledge here. Of course being a mechanic it is my sworn duty to "tweek" their noses when they are not in the real world with their ideas. You've heard that "Camels" where actually horses designed by a group of engineers ! LOL !!!rofl
Well I think I had better try and get some sleep. Tomorrow or actually today is Easter and I need to take the family to church. I won't be able to get away with the "I'm tired" story ! It would go something like this : What do you mean you can't go to church because your tired ?
Jesus was crucified for you and rose from the dead and you cant' get your lazy butt out of bed !!!!

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I've done a few 500-700 mile days, I don't average 500 miles per day for multiple days in a row. I think your timeline is optimistic.
How long would you think it will take me to drive 1700 miles? I'm trying to plan my overnight stops (hotel reservations & such). Hopefully no unexpected stops along the way, but trying to build in time to cover them (just in case). 3-days & a few hours for 1700mi is my optimistic plan, but worst case, I have 7-days to get it back before I have to worry about my job back home.

Another Ahab

I think it was Eisenhower after D-Day who said (+/-):

- Plans are worthless, but planning is priceless

So a game plan for your trip is good.

But then allow yourself some flexibility and don't get any heartburn if things don't all go exactly as you planned.

Here it is, I found it:

plan.jpg

Last edited:

AZK9

How long would you think it will take me to drive 1700 miles? ....
Wondering what type of driver seat will you have in the (new to you) M35A2? If it is the original seat, you'll have a much
more difficult time driving extra miles. If you'll have a comfortable 'truckers' seat... it will be easier to do more miles. Also,
I recall you mentioned that your wife was making the trip with you. Will she be driving a rental, 'chase car', or is she
going to be a passenger on the bench seat in the cab of the deuce?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would also do well to remember that some 2000 years ago, when Ceasar was about to invade England with its heavy fortifications and larger number of warriors, and being so far from their Roman homeland, he gave the order, "BURN THE SHIPS".
His men then knew there was only one way home - Through victory!

And in a more recent example, a mission's success was assured by the words chosen by General "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf when he addressed the Coalition with at the start of the First Gulf War in quoting Civil War General Sherman's words, "War is the remedy the enemy has chosen. I say, let us give him all that he can stand!"

Your determination to accomplish this mission is evident. Your attitude will be key to your mission's ultimate success. I admire your pre-planning an aggressive timetable with the tenacity to adapt and overcome as may be necessary to meet your objective.

Our prayers go with you. There is help along your route. Should you need assistance, don't hesitate to post a MAYDAY:___________ Thread flashing your needs across these Forums. Available help will respond at your call.

Carry on.

Standing by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks