• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus tires

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there I purchased 4 like new 95% 37" goodyear's about a year ago I have put about 5k on them (mostly street) and there 1/2 to 3/4 worn already has anyone else had this issue with surplus tires?

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not. But truck goes down the road nice and straight and all 4 wearing evenly just seems odd to me but I'll check can I fine in the tm's what the measurements should be?

Katavic918

The outside wear is normal on the rears due to the extreme camber when the truck is unloaded. Just make sure the tow isn't too far in or out. I'm sure there is a spec for it but I don't know what it is. When I got my 998 the fronts were towed out an inch and a half. I had bad wear but I don't know how many miles were on them. I just set them generally straight but towed them in about a sixteenth. Seems to work well for me.

Sintorion

When you say half to 3/4 worn, how are you gauging that? The only real way to tell is with a tread depth gauge. Did you measure them when you got them? I am guessing at 95% they should have started with about 20/32. If you are down to 5/32 at 5000 miles there should be a streak of black rubber behind you and probably a cloud of smoke. My biggest concern with surplus tires is the age. I have seen some of these on Ebay that are 15 years old being sold as 'like new'. Anything older than 5 years and I wouldn't be comfortable driving at highway speeds. Off road I wouldn't be as concerned.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The older the tire is, the harder it is and the faster it wares.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What vehicle are they on?

What rims are they on?

What air pressure are you running?

What kind of loads are you hauling, or what's the curb weight of the vehicle?

What temps are the roads you drive?

Do you drive in 4wd all the time?

Do you brake normally and start normally?

What year were the tires manufactured?

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I didn't check the tow yet bringing it by my buddy's shop on Friday he has an alignment machine. To answer some questions vehicle is a hmmwv on hmmwv 16.5 wheels, running 20psi i don't haul anything with it so just the weight of the truck which is 5500lbs I think. I live in CT. So road temps very every day. I drive in high range (not high lock) I do drive and brake normally. I can't find a manufacturer date on the tire maybe someone can let me know how to get that info. When I purchased the the tires about a year ago 4000 miles they were 26/32 now they are 7/32

MaverickH1

Date of manufacture of the tire will be near the rim inside an oval. If they are made after 2000, they will be a 4 digit code that is something like "1509", which translates to week 15 of 2009. 3 of mine are on the outside and easy to see (I checked them last night), I suspect the 4th is on the other side of the tire or something.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Date of manufacture of the tire will be near the rim inside an oval. If they are made after 2000, they will be a 4 digit code that is something like "1509", which translates to week 15 of 2009. 3 of mine are on the outside and easy to see (I checked them last night), I suspect the 4th is on the other side of the tire or something.
Yep, should be shortly after the letters DOT. Only 3 digits if there older than 2000 (then you have to guess on the decade) Also, 20psi seems awful low?

MaverickH1

I'm pretty sure mine are painted TP50 over every wheel. Yours may have been ready for desert sand missions or something and they kept the tires low for that kind of reason. It's hard to tell. But review the manuals and see what pressure you should run on the street. I thought it was 50 psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks