• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, big catch up to do. Did a lot just before leaving for the GA Rally. Didn't have time to post it all. Everything worked well for the trip. Had some custom stencils made as well as some standard ones. Painted up fairly well. Also finished up the temporary storage rack and mini deck. Worked well with the cooler, generator and fuel can on it. Wired up some military LED's I had and stood out well. Also relocated my strobe on it for highway use.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also installed three antenna's on the upper rear of the box. General coverage ham, WiFi repeater and AM-FM stereo. Installed a clothes rod and shelf in the closet and finished up the bathroom for now. Installed and tested the tankless hot water heater, works very well. Used small propane bottles, and lasted eight days of use. Started storing supplies for the trip. Amazing how much stuff you end up taking.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, long time no workie on truck. Had a lot of other things to do after the Georgia Rally trip. Trip was great, still haven't gotten over it. Everything worked well in the truck. Quite happy with the outcome. So have started on a few projects now, here is my folding left IR lamp assembly. I just had the right one installed for the trip. I needed to make it a folder as the hood side panel scoop hits it if it didn't fold. Installed a couple of hinges and a pin with a clip to hold it upright.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple more projects this weekend. Finally got my cab roof solar panels installed for charging the starting batteries. Have a small 24 volt solar charge controller on the RR cab wall for them. Full output os about 5.5 amps, less with clouds, shade etc. Picked up a couple of fire extinguishers at the Rally, so I mounted them on either side of the cab. Might get stolen, but oh well. Have a large one in the cab, and three in the living area. Also picked up a Smittybilt 17,500 lb. 12 volt winch. I wanted 12 volt as I have plenty of 12 volt batteries/amperage to run it from the coach batteries. Only two starting batteries for 24 volts. Plus if I winch the batteries flat, can still start the engine. Still gathering the steel for mounting it. Have the 4/0 welding cable to feed it. Also a pic of the tow bar I picked up at the Rally.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, did you figure out why the solar wasn't charging the house batteries correctly at the GA rally? You have a pretty impressive solar power system. I would think it had to be something simple.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, did you figure out why the solar wasn't charging the house batteries correctly at the GA rally? You have a pretty impressive solar power system. I would think it had to be something simple.
Yes, my inverter was drawing too much when at idle, nearly 27 amps. Bought a different one, haven't tested it yet. A really good efficient one costs too much. ( thousands)

jmoneysmithmas

Wow! What a project! I've been wanting to do something like this with my M109a4, but just haven't the time... maybe someday. This is inspirational to say the least.

Another Ahab

Wow! What a project! I've been wanting to do something like this with my M109a4, but just haven't the time... maybe someday. This is inspirational to say the least.
No kidding. If you want to do it right, QUADJEEPER has set the bar high as a standard.

The expression I knew as a kid was "Cat's A**". :naner:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few questions for you, Scott. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you planned to build a sleeping area above the cab. Are those plans in the distant future? Will you relocate the solar panels to the roof of the sleeping area if you build it?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes OD, that is in the distant future. And the cab roof equipment will be relocated on top. But the cab over is a major project and not as important or useful as the enclosed rear deck. So it will be later than sooner.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little late posting but here is some of the tinkering from this past weekend. Finally put hinges on my passenger step water can carrier, so I can quickly access the battery door. Used a pin and clip to hold it in the upright position. Have seen some stock units done this way. Purchased a Sanden 24v AC compressor for a future cab AC project.
Here is the 4/0 welding cable I picked up for wiring my winch to the coach batteries. Have approx. a 14 foot run to the battery bank in the box floor compartment, hence the heavy cable. I decided to use the 8 deep cycle coach batteries for 12 volt winching instead of the 2 starting batteries at 24 volts. Gives me plenty of amperage and also won't drain the starting batteries. Installing 2 battery disconnect switches so I can keep the long winch line dead until needed, and so I can disconnect the coach batteries during winching. Took a few glamour shots while out at RAYZER's LZ Sunday. Also finally labeled my in cab 12 and 24 volt fuse boxes.

Well tried 3 times to load pics, no luck. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Little late posting but here is some of the tinkering from this past weekend. Took a few glamour shots while out at RAYZER's LZ Sunday. Also finally labeled my in cab 12 and 24 volt fuse boxes.

Well tried 3 times to load pics, no luck. Maybe tomorrow.
You are not alone:

- There is some random wickedness afoot with the website.

I got thrown around by it, but patracy kindly dragged me back into the fold.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad I can help in some small way, Ahab. I get far more out of this site than I give. It's nice to know that my meager contributions are appreciated! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks