• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a 6.5 HMMWV into the m1008

Chief_919

is the 700r4 swap a direct one or do i need stuff? like drive shafts
Driveshafts will fit.

You will need a 208 Transfer case that came from behind a 700r4 or Th350 for the output shaft to fit, the TV cable and a TV cable pracket for a 6.2.

That said a 700r4 isn't much of an advantage in a 1009 with the 3.08 gears.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo will also be in the way of the TV linkage, it would have to be fabricated for certain.

Preacherboy

Unless you know that the glow plugs are brand new, I'd just get new ones. They are easy to do while you have the engine out and much more difficult with the engine in.

To do a side mount turbo wouldn't be a bad job, couldn't you just use your J code 6.2 heads (with 6.5 head gaskets) and go to a junk yard and find the "f" code intake manifold (remember, it comes in 2 pieces) and make it work?

That seems like it would be significantly easier.

EODTECH90

Unless you know that the glow plugs are brand new, I'd just get new ones. They are easy to do while you have the engine out and much more difficult with the engine in.

To do a side mount turbo wouldn't be a bad job, couldn't you just use your J code 6.2 heads (with 6.5 head gaskets) and go to a junk yard and find the "f" code intake manifold (remember, it comes in 2 pieces) and make it work?

That seems like it would be significantly easier.

i just bought them from napa, the (glowplugs), i bought them for the 6.2 but the 6.2 i bought turned out to be bad, so i didnt want to return them

EODTECH90

i want to go with the center mount to be different, and also because i already bought it and at my pay, its expensive, im rolling with what ive got

EODTECH90

Driveshafts will fit.

You will need a 208 Transfer case that came from behind a 700r4 or Th350 for the output shaft to fit, the TV cable and a TV cable pracket for a 6.2.

That said a 700r4 isn't much of an advantage in a 1009 with the 3.08 gears.
do you have pics of this swap, could you also put up a parts list? Pleeeeeeeez

EODTECH90

UPDATE:
im posting pics tonight, turned over the 6.5 feels smoothe looked all over for cracks found none, the 6.5 is a 1997 GM, a lot of the components look brand new but seems it had sat out for a while, and flash rusted, you know just bearly over the surface, i also took the 90 degree adapter off the oil filter mount, took out all the glowplugs that were in it, they were all in really good shapeim also scrapping out the other engine as ive stripped out all the parts off it, intrestingly enough all the plugs were on it

ALA2

when Idid my swap i found the oil pan did not clear and the exaust headers from humv would not fit in frame
also fuel shut off was 12 volt on humv my truck was 24 volt .
started it in the can moved bracket for starter to fit used batt as power source
for fuel shut off. mine is not a turbo . so this info may not help u

ALA2

EODTECH90

the engine is painted cummins beige, im getting a new power steering bracket with pump, working on this oil cooler situation, the cooler you see in the pic is for the trans, cooler for oil is on the other side,the dash is off and im in search of another, i need to groundhop the motor as it has a new gear reduction starter on it, it will have a 700r4 tranny behind it as soon as i can get this thing goin as it is under its own power, need bolts for the bell housing, going to get new alternators. can you guys give me napa part numbers for the driver an pass side? sorry its taken so god dang long, this is just hard on E-4 pay

chevyCUCV

Awesome build, I love the centre mount turbo's.
I would prefer it over the sidemount because it will equalize pressure between both side of the engine. Most diesels use centermount turbo.
I have also read that they flow a lot better than the othe gm turbos

Cant wait to see it buttoned up, good luck with the firewall

EODTECH90

havent seen any cracks, i got to ground hop it but really want the **** thing put together, worst case im just gonna work on the rest of the thing and if the engines bad ill put a 4bt in. ive searched allover the block no cracks so far but ill keep working on it, besides im more concerned with the rest of the truck (lift, tires, interior, lights, chassis, alternators, trans) and other stuff ill keep up with the motor tho, if you guys could help with the wiring on the top of the ip(what wires to plug into it and at what voltages) and advice with what to do with the darn HVAC because its too fat and i want to install A/C eventually, any advice about the oil pan will the 6.2 oil pan that came off the original motor from the 1028 fit on the 6.5 and clear the axel it seems uncomfortably close down there... anyone that has pics of this swap please chime in

EODTECH90

thanki you chevycucv, and stone picker for youre encouragement, its been long but a very fun build i encourage more people to do it as ive never built anything like this, before and its been a lot of fun with some headaches lol:jumpin: super excited for when this thing is done i will post more pics
PLEASE HELP WITH A REPLACEMENT DASH!!!!!! i need one lol