• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking Deuce on 1,500 mile ride. Help, thoughts, recommendations.

Hainebd

Going to take Brute for a little ride. About 1,500 miles. I know, I am crazy but got to or sell and I am not selling. I have spare tires filters oil. Tools. Ear muffs cooler for water. Any thing else?

thanks

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Internet connection, charging ports, cellular phone, lap top, GPS. Names and contacts on expected travel route. Credit card with LARGE credit limit. Butt pillow. Hotel reservations or friends along way to sleep and shower? Co-driver? Sun screen? TM's downloaded to your laptop? Fluids for truck, oil, anti-freeze, DOT 5 brake fluid. Bailing wire? Chains? Hydraulic jacks and wood cribbing? Tow bar with feet? Tow strap/recovery strap? Flashlights? Flares and hazard markers? I am SURE I am missing a TON of stuff and maybe others will chime in. Good luck with your trip!! It'll be an "adventure" that's for sure!! ENJOY!!

God bless,
Tony

Last edited:

Hainebd

Thanks Tony. Now I need a tractor trailer to follow with all that stuff. I have wheel bearings. Pinion bearings. Seals. Fluids. Wheels just pulled brakes and bearings with seals done. All fluids changed.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tony. Now I need a tractor trailer to follow with all that stuff. I have wheel bearings. Pinion bearings. Seals. Fluids. Wheels just pulled brakes and bearings with seals done. All fluids changed.

You are on the right track!! Fore thought is a decent "Murphy" repellant! LOL Where ya goin, and what's the cause of your little jaunt?

God bless,
Tony

Rmtaunton

Belts, hoses , lots of water , ok I'll stop but wow I wish you luck , just bring every wire , tool, fluid and luck you can get ahold of ! I so wish you the best of luck and love it when you make to your destination , post your route and keep in touch, we will all do our best to get you there

Rmtaunton

Seems like lots of trucks are making road trips this and next weekend , hopefully we can get murphy confused, I am only doing 250 miles this weekend and 400 the next thought it was gonna be impressive but wow , seems hardly worth mentioning now lol

Good luck

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did half that distance, 800 miles, when I picked up my Deuce. Marchplumber gave a good start.
I would add
- 24 V light bulbs for brake/turn lights (gets you noticed by LEO if one blows)
- magnetic battery powered blinky lights (amber or red, depending on your highway traffic act) to put on your tail gate when driving at night on a multi-lane highway or stopped at side of the road. Don't get rear-ended....
- flares, triangles
- tools for wheel change (air tool or geared wrench)
- if you do not have a 12V outlet, buy a 12V plug (double) with extension and two spring loaded clamps at the end; hooks right up to the terminals of one battery. The asymmetric load of a cell phone or GPS is not going to make a difference
- rifle mounts (for cup holder :) )

Hainebd

Not this weekend next. Leaving NJ to Dallas TX. This is a perminant move but only one run of 6 trips. Made one run already. I have three trailers to move but only one behind brute. The camper will be behind my new RAM 3500. Any idea of fuel rate? I have 395 and will stay 50 mph and under cause the RAM is getting 30 mpg there.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not this weekend next. Leaving NJ to Dallas TX. This is a perminant move but only one run of 6 trips. Made one run already. I have three trailers to move but only one behind brute. The camper will be behind my new RAM 3500. Any idea of fuel rate? I have 395 and will stay 50 mph and under cause the RAM is getting 30 mpg there.
200 to 300 gallons depending on how heavy it's loaded.

Rmtaunton

I have 395's and my last 450 mile trip I actually got 10.7 but it's my deuce there are many like it but this one is mine :)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have done that trip and then some. Just take it easy. The worst part will be the Appalachian mountain chain. My clutch started slipping some there but then again, I was probably in a slightly overloaded condition.

I normally carry tools, 5 gallons fuel (use to carry more but I've become pretty good at timing my stops), 3 gallons oil, 3 gallons 50/50, 5 gallon can of water in the back, fire extinguisher, tire changing stuff, spare wheel bearing, reflective vest, good flashlight, triangle kit, magnetic clock/timer, grease pencil don't forget the large empty Gatorade bottle. I have an M35A3 seat in my truck and that's a big difference over the standard seats.

My boredom is somewhat alleviated by calculating time/distance/arrival times/fuel estimates and other such nuances hence the magnetic clock/timer. I mark mile markers for each state along the route on the windshield in grease pencil. You can get this off the web. For example, I recall South Carolina is 104 miles on I-85. I would hit the tanker south bound just after crossing the line. From that point is was 2 hours to get to the GA line depending on weather and traffic. I would always time my route to his populated areas during off peak traffic times. Very high populated areas (like Dallas or Atlanta) would be calculated to go through very early in the morning. I would pull off at truck stops/rest stops and sleep to hit those city checkpoints on a rough schedule. Last time I overslept before going through San Antonio and was hating life before I got through there.

Two years ago I did 1502 miles in just under 48 hours in my loaded deuce with loaded M1061 trailer coming out here and I probably could have shaved off a little more. Bottom line is, it is do-able just make sure you do a good PMCS before departing. My record was 2200 miles in a loaded deuce with loaded M1061 trailer in 4 days but that also included going out of my way to get two loads (so it was over 2200 miles actually).

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Please be careful and check your mirrors frequently!, watch out for 18 wheelers coming up fast from behind. Good luck!

FloridaAKM

I did a maiden voyage of 420 miles one afternoon, night & morning all run together @ once. The former owner said he checked all out & the only thing needed was brake fluid top off. The filters did plug up after a few hundred more miles later on, but is another story. I was being watched over closely by a higher power during the whole trip as there were no problems.
Good luck with your trip & keep us posted till you get home safe.
I did 200 miles and only had a primary fuel filer issue. Did not drain before I departed.

ke5eua

Please be careful and check your mirrors frequently!, watch out for 18 wheelers coming up fast from behind. Good luck!
Especially them swift trucks. They like to cut back over a little to soon causing you to check the quality of your brakes.

If you do brake down, watch out for swift drivers again, they like to hit non moving targets.

I need murphy to get wore out so he will leave me alone for my trip to Drews and back, lol

acesneights1

Are you a Godly man ??..:)
I'd suggest a prayer and a bible...
Otherwise if your Deuce is in good order it should be fine. Don't push it.

Rmtaunton

Last week a new member asked what he needed for a 750, mile trip with a deuce he had never seen and hadn't run in two years , with the right perpetration , and listening to the experts here , he and two friends drive it 750 miles to his driveway with only a belt change :)

And like the expert Carnac! He really is ! My method was count miles but also rub her dash , tell her she has been great and just give me little more . And with that she got us both home .

Jeepsinker

I'm leaving for NC tomorrow and I am bringing a spare engine, transmission, radiator, and new water pump, as well as all the other things mentioned already except for wheel bearings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks