• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The A-frame kit (hoist) for M35-let's talk about it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of lots, theres quite a lot selling at Homestead right now. About 7000# of Tentage. Might be bidding on that!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, if they're that rare, I will build my own, although I agree with SixBuy, I'd like to see what the military thought was a good idea..

Building my own allows me to modify it to my needs, such as making it longer in order to clear the roof….

rdixiemiller

Dad said they used one at a forward airstrip to do an engine change on his C-123. He picked up some flak and lost an engine. they flew in another engine and a couple of mechanics. The Army guys provided a deuce with an A-frame to help change it out. It must have been a fairly tall A-frame, the 123 is like the 130, high wing. This was in 1969 at some un-named airstrip in Viet Nam.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
SixBuy said:
Is it too early to put in for one (1)?
Well, if anyone is interested let me know and I will talk to a friend of mine who is a genuis in fabrication. If it's feasible ($$$) he'll know how to do it and he knows how to calculate load capacities and all the technical stuff that goes into a project like this.

mangus580

I have considered something like that with my towbar. I just dont think I could trust my control of the deuce winch for lifting like that. Of course, maybe thats why you used the 4wheeler winch!

guner51

front boom

I used the long boom supports off a wrecker for mine and bolted a steel plate and saddles on top and make a top to bolt them together with a snatch block off a wrecker.
I put it on a m51 .

Barrman

Here is my stock tow bar with a shackle on the lunette loop. Since I don't have any body on my M35 I just hooked the chain that holds it up to the little "handles" on the side of the frame above the front axle.

The only problem with this method is the winch cable hits the top cross brace on the winch and bends it if you have the A arm too high. but, it was high enough to set a spare set of M715 axles on the back of my parts M35 frame.

I did the same set up a few weeks ago to pick up a spare M35 cab and put it on a trailer.

Oh, that is me driving and Agengr assisting.

Attachments

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
im pretty good with fabbing stuff up, i was thinking about doing one of these setups cause i have quite a few things to move around the yard with a hoist aparatus like this one in question. i cant figure out an easy way to get the A frame in the upright position. it doesnt seem that hard until you actually go to do it. pipe is pretty heavy. i thought about just trying to pull it up withthe winch but i think that would just end up giving you a tight winch line and breakin a shear pin or worst case scenerio, loading tension and then on the A frame and then it goes flying upwards and crashes into the truck. since it seems hard to upright i would end up leavin it ont he truck and not driving it cause im to lazy to take the A frame off :lol:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Getting the A frame up

I think a quality come along would do the job we used two to stablilze the fifth wheel here in this shot but my real desire is for a 4K rough terrain forklift to do the lifting.

See the ease this forklift did in the same job Rizzo had to rig to do

Attachments

Bill W

Regarding the cable and hardtop clearence,why not put a standoff/extension in the back where the cable contacts the bed from the pintle, by raising the rear of the cable about 12-14" it should clear the cab. I wonder if the tailgate has to come off to run the cable to the pintle? Also I would think the pintle should be turned 180o so the solid jaw takes the weight instead of the hinged one

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks