• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The A-frame kit (hoist) for M35-let's talk about it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pipelines had all unique stuff for their a-frame. Lifting 10,000# was not a problem with the pipeline

Kenny, funny you mentioned that. I was thinking about Randy while reading down this thread as I was there just when he discovered the 3/4" holes. I bought my gun ring from him that year.

Barrman

I can't help you on the pipe size. I just used a tow bar.

Now on the putting it into position question. The point of the "A" has to be about 1 foot above the winch for the winch to pull it up higher. That has been my experience at least. I assemble the tow bar with the point on a stool. Then slip a 2 foot long 4x4 between the stool and tow bar standing on end. After that is just a matter of clutch control on the winch pto.

That is the easy part of putting it together. Putting it down is a little more difficult. My first time resulted in cracked concrete since you can't tell from the drivers seat exactly when the cable is about to go horizontal. My second time I used the winch to create slack on the support chains and then put a step ladder against the tow bar. Removed the support chains, let out the winch line and just backed up real slow in low. The end of the tow bar just bounced down the ladder one step at a time.

I think I am just going to run up next to a big tree next time to save wear on the step ladder.

BEASTMASTER

my buddie has one .we use it to do motor swaps ,cab swaps and to load scrap into his duece to take to the junk yard ,and whatever,works great on the front of the beast. :driver:

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Barrman said:
I can't help you on the pipe size. I just used a tow bar.

Now on the putting it into position question. The point of the "A" has to be about 1 foot above the winch for the winch to pull it up higher. That has been my experience at least. I assemble the tow bar with the point on a stool. Then slip a 2 foot long 4x4 between the stool and tow bar standing on end. After that is just a matter of clutch control on the winch pto.

That is the easy part of putting it together. Putting it down is a little more difficult. My first time resulted in cracked concrete since you can't tell from the drivers seat exactly when the cable is about to go horizontal. My second time I used the winch to create slack on the support chains and then put a step ladder against the tow bar. Removed the support chains, let out the winch line and just backed up real slow in low. The end of the tow bar just bounced down the ladder one step at a time.

I think I am just going to run up next to a big tree next time to save wear on the step ladder.
thats good to know that it will go up using the winch. i have all dirt by my house. i guess i would just let it crash in to the sand

emr

Hey Guys, I cut off the 3/4inch ends, and stuck the end of the pipe in the shackles and welded em on both sides and it works real sweet!i spread the shackles just a hair and it slid rite in, i kocked em just a little for the angle , I will bring em to aberdeen set up this year, ive got in on my wrecker set # 7 deuce. randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill W said:
.....Also I would think the pintle should be turned 180o so the solid jaw takes the weight instead of the hinged one
I do believe that there is a PS mag blurp on this detail.

Has anyone considered the use of the "heavy" tow bar set for the A-frame, they are 4 inches in dia and 8 feet long? Guess it would take a crane to handle the parts, though....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The pintle is inverted when using the A-frame, correct. It's either in the TM/OM or in PS magazine, can't remember where I read it.

emr

I will measure the kit pipe on mine this afternoon, Its pure geneous , to use the BIG tow bar, and i am even more glad i have one now!!!Can never have to many prodjects for each thing in the pile!!!! Thanks Bjorn,, Randy

emr

The pipe is 1/4 inch and the base pipe is 2 & 7/8s O.D. the length of all four individually is 4ft 11 inchs each, the top pipe slides in the bottom pipe about 5 inchs, I could not find a difference in the pipes in the instructions that came with it for any other vehicle, it does have all listed and part #s and some pics,but the differences i think were just the ends to the bumper? I have my cable holding the A frame up to the top of the wrecker set # 7, its adjustable the way i have it, im going to get smart enough soon to do pics, Randy

rizzo

mangus580 said:
I have considered something like that with my towbar. I just dont think I could trust my control of the deuce winch for lifting like that. Of course, maybe thats why you used the 4wheeler winch!
it is

Jakob

I NEED this for my deuce! I haul so much crap around. The only bad thing is I need a life to get it into the back of my deuce, lol. I have an engine hoist already, but it doesn't go high enough to get things into the bed.

deuceman51

I cheated and bought a used CAT forklift. The precision and maneuverability are excellent in the shop. Mine is small enough to fit into our car garage where I do small work, but large enough to lift everything I have. I paid $1000 on ebay for it. You guys might think about something like that before dumping $300 into an A-frame setup that you don't have such precise control with. Not to mention it would be hard to use in your shop unless you have a tall ceiling. Just my opinion though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks