• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The EPA/DLA stoppage and where we stand and what we should do

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5eua

Praise be to God!

Our heartfelt THANKS and abundant APPRECIATION, along with our most perfect and respectful SALUTE go out to ALL of those - especially the MVPA - who worked diligently and patiently to bring this situation to a favorable conclusion.

As suggested, I WILL be joining the MVPA! The MVPA have supported ALL OF US, we now are indebted to them. We owe them our loyalty and support as allies in our shared MV interests and at times dependence. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Thank you, again.
<SALUTE>
Two organizations I am a member of because of my hobbies, MVPA and ARRL.

Thanks to all who helped.

acesneights1

Ok, is everybody ready to smile?

The MVPA will be releasing an official statement at some point today and my contact's have given me approval to release this:

We're good to go-truck sales will resume shortly without restrictions!

The DLA has issued a press release: http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/News_Center/Pages/EPA_agreement.aspx

A snippet from the press release reads:

"Release of all types of equipment to firefighters and law enforcement, transfer to federal agencies, donation to state and local governments, and public sale will resume as soon as computerized property listings can be reset, which is expected next week. Rules on ownership of items and accountability standards will also continue as before."

Now, once everyone has cracked the champagne open, I think we should discuss a couple things.

The MVPA (the National Chapter, not your local affiliate club) has been instrumental in getting the truth about this-absolute hard facts, not internet rumors and conjecture and the insider contacts they have were not only able to get a read on what was going on (and therefore not shoot ourselves in the foot) but they were able to exert some level of influence on the players, or at least provide information about the effects of the stoppage.

I absolutely wholeheartedly recommend anyone who is pleased with this outcome strongly consider joining the MVPA. Joining is easy and can be done here: http://www.mvpa.org/join/

Secondarily, we appreciate everyone's patience and willingness to not make waves throughout this ordeal. I realize that just sitting and waiting while your hobby (or obsession for some of us) hangs in the balance is difficult and feels counter productive, but politics are a lot like hot dogs: if you know what goes into it, you probably won't like it anymore. The MVPA's position that waiting on a decision proved to be the right one and a campaign to influence the outcome could very well have politicized the issue and turned it into something partisan and impossible to control. Obviously we'll never know if we were all correct but I think we were.

Over the last few years, our hobby has faced some big challenges: the radiation scare, the EPA/DLA stoppage, local registration (Wisconsin, Georgia, etc.) issues, local HOA and town ordinances, etc.

And every time, there is a lot of paranoia that goes along with these scares. That there is a giant conspiracy among govt. agencies to come take away our vehicles. I know there were at least a few people who thought the CBP seizure of illegal Land Rover Defenders was related to our issue (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127958-EPA-Home-Land-Security-Seizing-Land-Rovers). I hope with the positive outcome of this event the hobby can look at future challenges in a more positive or at least more sober light.

In closing, I really think if you like military vehicles and believe the public should be able to buy them as value priced commercial vehicles and as pieces of history to be preserved, today is a good day. And you should join the MVPA-they have contacts that SS can only dream of and they have a lobbyist in Washington. SS, G503 and all the others don't bring anything like that to the table. It's something you should consider.

I am opening the thread. I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Go drive your military vehicle and take your dog for a cheeseburger!

:clinto:[thumbzup]
Outstanding.. Thank you for everything. This is surely good news as our prayers have been answered. You are right, myself being one of the impatient ones(well more just wanna know WTF is going on),patience proved the right course. I see now that staying under the Radar was the best course and not making it into something that could have been a political football. It is not easy for some of us(curmudgeons) to accept easily.
Thank You.
Will join MVPA right now(it was on my to do list anyway).
I do have a question...You mentioned Radiation scare ???

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do have a question...You mentioned Radiation scare ???
In short:

You know how old wrist watches had a tiny bit of radium (I think) to make them glow in the dark? Very mildly radioactive.

Old M-series gauges had the same thing.

At some point, somebody tested one and found out it was beyond the acceptable level.

So the same thing happened then as happened on this EPA/DLA thing: In one fail swoop, they pulled every truck off GL at once and didn't tell anybody why. And trucks sat for a while.

In the end, they ended up sending somebody out to every truck in the Country with a tester and gauges that didn't meet specs were removed and everything went back to normal.

But at the time, everybody flipped out and said "They're coming for our trucks!!!!!11111".

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So now everybody that jacked there prices up but found they would not sell, will have to LOWER them because there trucks will no longer be rare, hope people REMEMBER WHO jacked there prices up.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now everybody that jacked there prices up but found they would not sell, will have to LOWER them because there trucks will no longer be rare, hope people REMEMBER WHO jacked there prices up.

Deuces are just as rare as they were before this debacle. 99.99% of them were already out on the street.

My price stayed the same, I pulled it from the classifieds just in case.

gunboy1656

The MVPA will be releasing an official statement at some point today and my contact's have given me approval to release this:

The DLA has issued a press release: http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/News_Center/Pages/EPA_agreement.aspx

"Release of all types of equipment to firefighters and law enforcement, transfer to federal agencies, donation to state and local governments, and public sale will resume as soon as computerized property listings can be reset, which is expected next week. Rules on ownership of items and accountability standards will also continue as before."

Now, once everyone has cracked the champagne open, I think we should discuss a couple things.

The MVPA (the National Chapter, not your local affiliate club) has been instrumental in getting the truth about this-absolute hard facts, not internet rumors and conjecture and the insider contacts they have were not only able to get a read on what was going on (and therefore not shoot ourselves in the foot) but they were able to exert some level of influence on the players, or at least provide information about the effects of the stoppage.

I absolutely wholeheartedly recommend anyone who is pleased with this outcome strongly consider joining the MVPA. Joining is easy and can be done here: http://www.mvpa.org/join/

Secondarily, we appreciate everyone's patience and willingness to not make waves throughout this ordeal. I realize that just sitting and waiting while your hobby (or obsession for some of us) hangs in the balance is difficult and feels counter productive, but politics are a lot like hot dogs: if you know what goes into it, you probably won't like it anymore. The MVPA's position that waiting on a decision proved to be the right one and a campaign to influence the outcome could very well have politicized the issue and turned it into something partisan and impossible to control. Obviously we'll never know if we were all correct but I think we were.

Over the last few years, our hobby has faced some big challenges: the radiation scare, the EPA/DLA stoppage, local registration (Wisconsin, Georgia, etc.) issues, local HOA and town ordinances, etc.

And every time, there is a lot of paranoia that goes along with these scares. That there is a giant conspiracy among govt. agencies to come take away our vehicles. I know there were at least a few people who thought the CBP seizure of illegal Land Rover Defenders was related to our issue (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127958-EPA-Home-Land-Security-Seizing-Land-Rovers). I hope with the positive outcome of this event the hobby can look at future challenges in a more positive or at least more sober light.

In closing, I really think if you like military vehicles and believe the public should be able to buy them as value priced commercial vehicles and as pieces of history to be preserved, today is a good day. And you should join the MVPA-they have contacts that SS can only dream of and they have a lobbyist in Washington. SS, G503 and all the others don't bring anything like that to the table. It's something you should consider.

I am opening the thread. I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Go drive your military vehicle and take your dog for a cheeseburger!

One note about joining the MVPA they do have an option to become a life member, but you have to contact them directly. I did mine 10 years ago, never have to worry about renewing it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aw RIGHT! Way to go! Many thanks for all those who played a role in getting this taken care of, to bring level heads and honest facts about these vehicles to those who were able to influence those who make the rules.

BACK TO GREEN IRON HOARDING!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

___I Love This Post.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys I know I have been a pain in the a$$ over this but just don't like being in the dark and not knowing.

So..... after reading everything I am more confused than before, from the press release "On Aug. 12, the issue was fully resolved when EPA officials told DLA that after fully studying the issue, the agency will continue to recognize the national security exemptions for transferred equipment based on DLA Disposition Services’ current disposal procedures."

To my borderline Aspergers brain all that means is that transfers to federal and state agencies etc will continue but says NOTHING about if public sales will continue as before, and for what items.

Can anyone help me figure this out? With links or quotes to back their opinions?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my borderline Aspergers brain all that means is that transfers to federal and state agencies etc will continue but says NOTHING about if public sales will continue as before, and for what items.

Can anyone help me figure this out? With links or quotes to back their opinions?
From the DLA press release:

"Release of all types of equipment to firefighters and law enforcement, transfer to federal agencies, donation to state and local governments, and public sale will resume as soon as computerized property listings can be reset, which is expected next week.

Rules on ownership of items and accountability standards will also continue as before."

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please people when you read the DLA website news article read the whole thing. Then go back and read it again. Am I pointing this out to pick on anyone? Yes, and I'm one of them. I frequently power through articles and see what I want to see.

The government could see that people were running out of money to buy trucks and they gave us a few weeks to find more so that the fun may resume.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where it says "will continue to recognize the National Security Exceptions" that basically means that the exception that allowed them to be put in the trucks in the first place now lasts for the life of the truck instead of the life of the truck in Federal Service.

iatractor

Thanks for the hard work Clinto. As for the MVPA membership, I've been a member since November. I consider them essential to the hobby, like the NRA for firearms, and the Two-Cylinder club for John Deere fanatics. Yes, I've read the posts and heard the squabble about the mvpa from a few years back. Like it or not, they are the best, unified voice for our hobby. Sure there are various clubs and associations for our different vehicles but as far as I can see, there is no one unifying voice for our hobby except the MVPA. Without them, we may have been drowning some sorrows over the death of no more tactical vehicles for civilians. What else are you going to spend 40 bucks a year on?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the hard work Clinto. As for the MVPA membership, I've been a member since November. I consider them essential to the hobby, like the NRA for firearms, and the Two-Cylinder club for John Deere fanatics. Yes, I've read the posts and heard the squabble about the mvpa from a few years back. Like it or not, they are the best, unified voice for our hobby.
I've been involved with the MVPA since '07. At one point I was in 3 different chapters, 2 in TX (Alamo and Lone Star, and then National). I let the Alamo and National memberships lapse since I didn't feel like I was getting much out of either of those organizations. Yesterday I renewed my membership to National after being reminded that there was actually more to it than just the magazines.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let me put it like this:

If you become a member and you don't like it (National MVPA), you get a free 45 second "window of opportunity" to complain, directly to me, at the Ga Rally in 2015.

Some of you may have to travel a bit but everybody knows it's best MV rally anywhere in the history of MV's (well, at least since they switched from oats to fuel :p) and all of you should be coming anyway.

I am confident that there won't be many who take advantage of that offer.

The magazines that the MVPA writes are excellent. Army Motors has taken on a lot less WWII material and a lot more modern M-series stuff since David Doyle became editor. There's a good mix of WWII, Korea, VietNam and modern conflict articles. The last issue had several pages to all the various iterations of MRAPs.

And the conventions they put on are first rate-and that's coming from someone who is familiar with first rate operations :))).

Check out the pics from their 2014 convention: http://s9.photobucket.com/user/clinto1/library/2014 MVPA National Convention?sort=3&page=1

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is only my opinion, so you have to decide what it's worth but I am not terribly concerned about this (and by this, I am referring to potential legislation aimed at curbing military equiment to law enforcement agencies).

First off, the overwhelming majority of the gear these departments get is stuff we'd never get. Weapons, MRAPs, armor, etc.

Second off, the flow of money to GL, IP and the general fund is too significant to ignore.

Third-and this is most important: Although politicians from both sides of the aisle are going to make some noise about this, I doubt they're actually going to attempt anything serious and if they do, they won't succeed. There's simply to much demand from law enforcement for this kind of gear and all politicians are terrified of getting primary'd by somebody claiming that their opponent is "soft on crime" or other such nonsense.

But, at this time, all we can do is wait and see how this unfolds.

Also, I'd like to say how much we appreciate people sending us this stuff and asking if it's appropriate for the thread. The professionalism is impressive and not unappreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks