• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

dstang97

Couple of questions for ya

how far past the front fender do the tires stick out?
How long before we get pictures with the bed on?
Btw I really like the work you did.

tvguy

Couple of questions for ya

how far past the front fender do the tires stick out?
How long before we get pictures with the bed on?
Btw I really like the work you did.
I'd guess the tires stick out less than 2". I'll take a measurement tomorrow and confirm.

I don't know on the bed . . . I'd like to get it done soon but I have the whole family coming in for Thanksgiving so things are starting to get busy. Today was really the last day to work on the CUCV for a bit.

tvguy

I went for a quick test drive this afternoon . . . I think the wheels need balancing. They probably haven't been run in years.

I picked up another set of 12-bolt wheels this weekend. I'm gonna clean them up and weld a set of rock rings on and probably get them powdercoated. I think I'm going to the PVC inserts too. While I'm doing that I'm planning to pick up a "new" set of 37's.

StreetbikeDepot

You pinion angle is WAY too high and your probably getting vibes from it. This is a typical problem with a rear shackle flip. You need to either cut and reposition your spring perches or shim it down.

Ofcourse if your running a double cardon drive shaft then your probably ok but it still looks a little high for even that really. The rear yoke needs to be @ 2 degrees down from the tranny yoke, or if your using a double cardon shaft then you would point the rear yoke directly at the tranny yoke and the double cardon will cancel out the vibrations in the joints.

tvguy

You pinion angle is WAY too high and your probably getting vibes from it. This is a typical problem with a rear shackle flip. You need to either cut and reposition your spring perches or shim it down.

Ofcourse if your running a double cardon drive shaft then your probably ok but it still looks a little high for even that really. The rear yoke needs to be @ 2 degrees down from the tranny yoke, or if your using a double cardon shaft then you would point the rear yoke directly at the tranny yoke and the double cardon will cancel out the vibrations in the joints.
I only drove it for about 15 minutes yesterday and didn't get past 50 mph, but didn't notice any vibration. One of the tires is out of balance though.

The pinion is pointed directly at the Tcase. I'm gonna run it as is for now and if it's starts vibrating then I'll make the appropriate changes, either in the form of new perches or a CV.

K5NUTT

I see you are using a lot of high quality ORD parts on your rig.
Stephen at ORD is a **** of a guy. Been friends since the first
blazer bash in 2000. Course...it is nice to have ORD 65 miles
away from the house.

tvguy

I see you are using a lot of high quality ORD parts on your rig.
Stephen at ORD is a **** of a guy. Been friends since the first
blazer bash in 2000. Course...it is nice to have ORD 65 miles
away from the house.
Yeah, I've been happy with all the ORD stuff. For example, I ordered a ubolt kit for the front and when I went to install the it I realized the factory bolts that go into the 60 housing weren't going to work . . . they were too short. Fortunately, there were two longer studs in the kit just for that purpose. They thought of everything!

rickf

I am glad to see this pointed out since SO many people get it wrong. Another problem I see a lot is u-joint phasing.

Rick

tvguy

I am glad to see this pointed out since SO many people get it wrong. Another problem I see a lot is u-joint phasing.

Rick
Here's a copy of reply from Chris from ORD to a similar question of pinion angle after a shackle flip on CK5 . . .

"I would set up your lift and see how your truck drives. There is so much of this that depends on how you're getting lift (shackle flip, springs, blocks, a combo of any of the above) and there is no cut and dry answer. Some people will tell you that "matching the angles" (i.e making the operating angles of the two u-joints the same) will fix everything will leave you with no vibrations.

The short answer to that is that it won't. The concept of matching angles is this: u-joints inherently vibrate (each of their caps speeds up and slows down as they rotate) and their yokes are phased such that they cancel out the vibration of the other. The problem is, Spicer says that works up to ~3-4 degrees of operating angle. A stock truck is pushing that, any lifted truck will be far above it.

So there is a mix. You can try "matching the angles" and you may end up with operating angles too extreme to eliminate vibrations. You can try pointing the pinion up, which lowers the operating angle on both joints but guarantees that there will be some vibration (in my experience this can still be the best option and doesn't mean you will notice it over the rumble of the tires) . . ."

So, as recommend I'm going to try it as is and see how it does. I haven't driven it enough yet to even make a determination.

Last edited:

rickf

All true, And if you use the same u-joints you had befoe the lift and they have any real miles you can also pick up a vibration. I would suggest that IF you are using the original u-joints and you get a vibration to put in new joints before anything else.

Rick

tvguy

Rick
All true, And if you use the same u-joints you had befoe the lift and they have any real miles you can also pick up a vibration. I would suggest that IF you are using the original u-joints and you get a vibration to put in new joints before anything else.

Rick
Got new u-joints when I had the shaft lengthened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks