• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

Tornadogt

i have seen them in campers, but from the git-go on this project, a toilet was not a facter.. i did not want to deal with black water, and the extra plumbing.. and this will have more of a command center use, then as a camper.. so i wanted as much open floor space as i could.. the shower is in the back corner, and it is not in a bathroom, it will open into the main room.. but i will have a curtain to pull across so you have "some" privacy..
I ran this bye the Girlfriend all I got was rolled eyes and a NO.. I guess we will need a toilet... :-D

quickfarms

Last edited:

jdknech

awesome man! thanks... and just a fyi to everyone, Matt has been VERY VERY helpful with this project! i would still be standing in the middle of the trailer scratchin my head trying to figure out where to start, if not for him..

RAYZER

Nice! Off to a good start!
I really like all the room in that trailer, 35' long right?
You mentioned that you were going to install a window ac, will that go up front? Will you install one in the back also?

RAYZER

Add a porta potti in the shower stall or look at Restop. I use the Restop products for mid night pee trips when I do not eat to get dressed to go to the campground bathroom of use the portable toilet.

Sealand makes a marine toilet that has a builtin 9 gallon holding tank

http://www.dometic.com/enie/Interna...scharge-Toilets/products/?productdataid=96282
I agree with quickfarms.
A toilet is a must In any camper build, imo.
Dealing with black water is a pain I know, but dealiing with a hot stinking portajon that hasn't been pumped out in three days and has been used a thousand times, makes doing anything ealse a better option!
:D

jdknech

On the A/C- I will put a small window unit in the front for the bedroom (5K-btu or so) and I picked up a portable A/C unit to use in the main room. It is 10K-btu, and only requires a 4" exhaust hole on the floor or wall.. And it's a dehumidifier as well. Hopefully 10K-btu can keep up with the demand ;) lol
As far as the crapper, there is room to add one if I desire later.. I left a nice "closet" between the shower, and the back wall.. A toilet would fit in there perfectly.. :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, good call! I'm reminded of the 7 P's-

Prior Proper Planning Provides for a Pissing Pot Post build. :cool:

I like it, can't wait to see it at Haspin! (I hope)

The more I see these large trailer camper builds, the more I want to do one, but then I can't pull my cool stuff to the rally and Angie would not like her M109 getting 'replaced'

jdknech

no pics of this weekends work, (nothing really to show..)

I started out the work with a trip to the local ER.. I decided that I didn't need my left pointer finger anymore, and tried to cut it off with a VERY sharp razer knife.. (in other words, i was cutting some foam, and the knife slipped) the finger should be ok, the Doc said I will have a nasty scar, but nothing lasting.. (thankfully)

but after we got back (Matt drove me to the ER) we got a couple hours work into the camper.. we installed a 100A single phase main breaker box, and ran 90% of the wireing.. next step is the ceiling, and plumbing..
its getting to be crunch time!! one month to haspin!! :shock:

RAYZER

The floor that I left origional in mine, I painted with grey rustolium topside paint, its durable and shiny, you can spruce it up that way!

jdknech

that would be a option, but the floor in mine is a laminate floor, and it is breaking apart, and is pealing up... and the last 7' of the trailer is a metal plate.. as is the front step deck.. so that makes the flooring a bit more fun.. lol