• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

jdknech

well, its been awhile... but i have been plugging away at it... HECK!! who am I kidding!!! We have been ROCK and ROLLING on it!!
It will be Haspin ready (that is not finished, just liveable)

we have finished all the walls in the main room, (no trim yet)
also the ceiling in the main part is done,
plumbed the AC in,
mounted the new counter,
hung the microwave, (under cabinet style above the counter)
plumbed the shower drain,
ran all electric for the main room,
built a full-bed frame for the bedroom (out of 2X6.. its not moving.. lol)
fixed trailer brakes,
and we are part of the way through installing the fresh water system..

sorry for no pics.. by the time we got done at 5am on most mornings, I was so tired I forgot to take pics.. but I will get some when I get up there to work on it thursday..

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to put more support on the microwave? I can just see one good on and off a bridge and that baby tumbles to the floor. A lot of things we put in Angie's 109 we thought were strong enough, were not when constantly bounced around.

Looking good so far! It's so WHITE! After haspin it will be brown/red to about knee high. lol

jdknech

I don't think the microwave is going anywhere.. I could be wrong though.. The air-ride helps a ton!

As far as the white, it should be offset by the dark wood floors that are going in it (not before haspin though.. I kinda ran out of money lol) I went with the white because I wanted it to have a "command center" feel to the main room..

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled one of these trailers off base for a friend recently. That air ride is something else... the trailer just FLOATS down the road. I'd get my teeth knocked out in the M915, and look behind me and the trailer is like it was bolted to the air- steady as a rock. I bet I could have put a glass of wine in it and not spilled a drop (at least on straightaways.)

I agree, time for some more updates!

jdknech

sorry fellas, there is nothing to update on... i took it to haspin, and it worked awesome! but my trailer brakes stopped working on the trip up, and i have not found the time to track down why.. i do know that somewhere between the front gladhand, and the rear axles there is a blockage.. just cant figure out where.. (and have not had time to really get into it, just kinda gave it a once over) and by the time i got there, my front airbags had gone down..

and just FYI, the microwave stayed in place, and the ride is awesome... everything stayed in place, and really didnt have to strap much down..
I really need to get my butt in gear and finish it, but i first need to repair all the haspin damage to the tractor.. :-( and add this new turbo and manifolds i have sitting in the basement for it :)

jdknech

i tried that, but nothing... so i bypassed everything to that point, and ran a airhose from the truck to the rear gladhand, and still nothing.. (emergency side) but if i air up my front bags (air to the front emergency gladhand) the brakes work with the bypass hose, but when the bags bleed down, the brakes stop working... i'm scratching my head on this one.. lol

jdknech

I have not figured it out yet.. but i will be bringing it to work tonight, and trying to track the problem down... (its nice having a well lit hanger to work in) I pulled it in a parade Saturday and the emergency side worked correctly.. (all 6 air bags inflated, and when i blead the air off, It locked both axles up tight.. it has never done this before, so i am wondering if maybe it "fixed its self" with use.. i did not have the service side even hooked up, so i will test all that on my way into work tonight..