• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great build so far, are you planning on adding any sky lights or vents to let hot air escape? Were you planning on adding any solar panels?

jdknech

Great build so far, are you planning on adding any sky lights or vents to let hot air escape? Were you planning on adding any solar panels?
Skylights are not in the plan thus far.. to me it seemed like just another point that could leak water.. I have a 3ton central Air unit to install, that should provide fresh air (having the option to pull from outside or inside the trailer) and there is a 4" exhaust for the shower fan in the rear.. i did not want windows because i wanted to be able to black out the inside at any point..
as far as solar panels, I know what they are, and what they do.. but that is about the extent of my knowage on them.. I might look into them and see if they might be something that is cost effective for me..

jdknech

well.. its not even done yet (i guess thats a good thing) because I am thinking of a COMPLEAT REDO!! after using over the past year, I have figured out that I dont like the set up, and want to move the shower/bathroom area up to the front of the main area.. (where the counter is now)

but also, I am ooking for a folding sofa bed.. something that folds up aginst the wall when lot in use, and will fold down into a sofa, or bed when needed... and ideas guys??

agazza2

I bought one of the fold up couches/beds from a yard sale. It was originally from an RV. Offers storage underneath. I would check an RV recyclers if there any near you. Otherwise Camper world has some on sale at times. The reasonable priced ones come without armrests/sides as they are meant to be bolted between two walls. I like the ability to move it around so I have space to carry cargo if necessary.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to remember that there's not a lot of room underneath for running plumbing up front, big plate under there.

RAYZER

A Murphy bed folds up against the wall but it won't make into a couch.
Will you remove the white wall board that you were not happy with and do something ealse?

jdknech

A Murphy bed folds up against the wall but it won't make into a couch.
Will you remove the white wall board that you were not happy with and do something ealse?
I will have to look into a Murphy bed.. But as far as the walls.. I might just go with a thin ply wood, and paint or wallpaper.. I still want a very light color, but I think that was just TOO bright with the white walls..

jdknech

Look at hide a beds and futons. You may have to make what you need but will be what you want it to be.
I'm thinking that making it might be my only option.. I want something that folds completely out-of-the-way when not in use, but can also double as a bed or a couch.. I have seen one somewhere.. I just have to find it..

jdknech

I bought one of the fold up couches/beds from a yard sale. It was originally from an RV. Offers storage underneath. I would check an RV recyclers if there any near you. Otherwise Camper world has some on sale at times. The reasonable priced ones come without armrests/sides as they are meant to be bolted between two walls. I like the ability to move it around so I have space to carry cargo if necessary.
I will have to see if there is a salvage RV place around me..

jdknech

i ordered a 33gl fresh water tank.. and when I got it, well lets just say I'm ordering a 100gal and prolly using the 33gal as a gray tank.. for me 33gal would work for 3-4 days, but if i have 2-3 people with me, then 33 gal MIGHT get me through a nights worth of showers.. just food for thought for those thinking about/planing a RV build..

I also started a new "green sickness" and this one isn't military... pics to follow :mrgreen:

jdknech

I picked up a onan 4kw CCK generator that was used in a guard shack on a old military base.. the shack is about 1/2 mile from my house (dont worry, I went through all the correct/legal channels) well the shack was close to the river, so every spring it went under water for 2-10+ days.. so the gen was very locked up when i got it home.. I pulled the heads, let the cyl(s) soak in WD-40 (after cleaning all the river mud out) and lightly tapped the pistons after a couple days, and it broke free!! i sanded down the cyl walls, and put the heads back on and cleaned the points.. after that i cleaned the generator head out.. replaced a couple broken wires in the head, and cleaned the starting brushes, and put some power to it.. and it FIRED on starting fluid

after taking the carb apart, and cleaning it real good, it will now start and run good! and makes 110/220..
so the plan is to mount it on the front of the trailer where the old AC units mounted.. hopefully I have it installed later this week!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937142.114806.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937158.773555.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937172.273502.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937188.224141.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937203.721087.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937216.107666.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408937226.498996.jpg

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Just looked through all the posts, and you're doing a great job! Sure has come a long way since I spent a couple nights in it at Haspin in 2013!