• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

agazza2

I used OSP paneling in mine, but used 1 tube of liquid nail (for paneling) on each 4' x 8' piece and it is holding up well, and adheres to the plywood and does not bow out. I also use long rivets on the seams to hold it firmly in place. With some trim half way across these large pieces it could also help. All my trim is secured with rivets as well. The flat finish OSP can be painted. You could also use the liquid nail on your current paneling.

What are the problems to look for on the Onan generators?

jdknech

This is new to me, how are you going to hook up the plumbing (water, gas, drain) w/ it sliding out?
My current plan is rubber hoses (think clothes washer hoses) for the pressure side, and some flexable pvc 1-1/4" discharge hose for the drain.. and some heavy duty extension cord for the power (fridge, lights, microwave, and toaster oven)

jdknech

I used OSP paneling in mine, but used 1 tube of liquid nail (for paneling) on each 4' x 8' piece and it is holding up well, and adheres to the plywood and does not bow out. I also use long rivets on the seams to hold it firmly in place. With some trim half way across these large pieces it could also help. All my trim is secured with rivets as well. The flat finish OSP can be painted. You could also use the liquid nail on your current paneling.

What are the problems to look for on the Onan generators?
i have used liquid nails.. but honstly, the white just doesnt have the look that I was hoping for...

as far as the onans, how much power are you looking for?

jdknech

Took it to a local festival.. The local club has been asked to set up there for the past 5 years, they give us a 200x200 area to set up in right in the middle of the festival! And the public LOVES the trucks.. Over the 3 days there was prolly over 500,000+ people.., I'll try to get some pics of the display (I forgot) but we had 14 vehicles and a tank there for display..

I camped out for the weekend, and 3 other club members staying with me as well (owners of the tank)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410833331.902302.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410833347.139372.jpg

jdknech

+1 on the paint

So what's the specs on that thing? Looks pretty nice.
It has a 350 big cam III cummins turned up to a 525-550 and the rpm's bumped up to 2500 max.. The trans is a road ranger 9speed with 1:1 top gear, and 3.73 rear axle ratios
Oh, and it has AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Lol

It runs real nice, and gets close to 10mpg bobtail, I have yet to pull the M971 with it, but it's all hooked up, I plan to go drive it around this afternoon..

To do list-
Paint (green)
POW/MIA mud flaps
Drop visor (black)
Military style tail lights
Add Jake brakes
Military amber convoy lights

And sometime in the future- a OD trans, most likely a 13spd

It has some SUPER NICE 24.5 aluminum rims, I can't bring myself to paint them, so the options are
1- mirror polish them
2- plsti-dip them black (a removable plastic coating)

Jakelc15

10mpg, air conditioning, and shinny, it will never pass as military even painted green!
If you polish the wheels, you could black anodized them!

jdknech

Time for some mute aggressive tires. You going to towbar the 932 behind the trailer to haspin?
The m932 is gone.. I had to sell it to buy the new truck.. I had to consider my needs, and the 5ton Was cool and fun, but not conducive to long trips.. Haspin was about the farthest I would take the 5ton, and I really want to go the the GA rally, and some others that are farther away..

ke5eua

The m932 is gone.. I had to sell it to buy the new truck.. I had to consider my needs, and the 5ton Was cool and fun, but not conducive to long trips.. Haspin was about the farthest I would take the 5ton, and I really want to go the the GA rally, and some others that are farther away..
I feel your pain on the distance thing. This is why I am so glad my F450 can pull the m750 for long distance trips while the 818 can do the moderate distance ones.

ke5eua

I think the m750 would look the way it's supposed to look behind the m818! Did the op give up on that truck?
No still have it, just was in Andew's area with the f450 and decided to pick it up. Still debating on driving the 818 with the 750 to the rally next year.

Back to this thread, the cab over looks great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks