• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threw a rod through my engine block.

Tototex

I bought a 1972 M51A2 dump truck with 397 miles on it. She sat in a county warehouse until recently.

I changed the oil and some fingernail sized chunks came out.

Against my gut feeling I tried to drive it home anyway.

2 miles from the lot cruising at 45 MPH, she threw a rod and broke a 2" by 4" hole through the engine block.

I am no mechanic but am trying to learn.

Is this something I can fix? Do I need a knew engine? Where do I look? Or is it time to just haul her to the dump?

Also, the tow company wants to just use a tow bar to pull this guy. Is there any issues with that? I heard someone say you have to remove the drive lines before dragging it.

0729151705.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, pull the axles out and tow-bar anywhere. Yes you will need to find a new motor to swap in if you want to keep it. Sorry to hear this.

If you part it out, let me know, I'd like some parts.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about your luck but I have had an engine decide it was better to be in pieces than stay together.

Like Gimp said, find a motor and pull the engine pack out, swap the engine and either put the pack back together or put the engine in by itself and add the rest.

Lots of help on the site.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this isn't funny but that looks to be the same spot my block cracked when my crankshaft broke into two pieces. My truck still ran on the back three cylinders but man what a racket. Felt like it was going to bring the front wheels off the ground like a hoopty.

Yes, you cam tow bar it home. I dragged mine home with my Dodge pickup.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That spot is the most common place for windows to appear. Here is the good news, there is still a fair number of multifuels out there. Bad news is that most are from deuces. Good news is that they can be refitted to work in your tipper. Bad news is that they will be low on power in comparison. Good news is that you can bump the fuel up and reclaim some of that power. Bad news is that you should buy a pyro to monitor exhaust gas temps (EGT) if you do.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also keep in mind miles/hours on a military truck are meaningless as the military doesn't repair or reset gauges they just swap new ones in if there is a problem with them.

dilligaf13

The other good news is, now is a great time to swap in another motor like a DT466 or 6BT or ect, ect, ect....

shadow1

Sorry to hear about our problem. You may want to give Idaho Motor Pool a call. They are just west of Boise. They may be able to help.

Tototex

Thanks everyone. My only concern about towing is the brakes. How long will they work with the air compressor off. I dont want to rear end someones truck.

I will go on a new engine hunt here soon. I need to try and find engine model numbers that I can search for. Or what comparable engines would fit in this guy. And of course $$$

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure you need an LDS motor.

As for towing, if they use the correct bar you won't need brakes on your truck. Just make sure it is a competent towing company with experience towing big trucks. They tow my 818 with a 60-ton wrecker and i'm guessing he could have run down the road at 70Mph like he was empty. That thing was big.

You weren't suggesting towing with a chain were you? Even I'm not that crazy.

The King Machine

Newport Washington huh....that's just down the road from me. Sorry to see this sort of thing happen.

If Gimpy passes on the potential sale of parts off this motor, I'd be more than happy to give you money to help ease the burden of the cost of a replacement motor. The injectors, IP fuel pump, and turbo come to mind.:whistle:

Tototex

I got the towing taken care of. That was fun.

I am trying to save the truck. It would be a shame to part her out since everything else is working but that is still a possibility. I only have so much $$$.

Now for motors.

I kind of like original stuff but everyone is saying the multifuel engines are weak. Should I upgrade to something else?

What different motors are available and what are the advantages to switching? Will any of them affect top speed?

Keep in mind that if $$$ is a huge limiting factor than the most cost effective option would be a direct replacement engine (if you can find one). Repowering the truck may require additional parts, adapters, fabrication etc. that stuff can add up quick!

Like any engine, the Multifuel's performance and longevity depend on how it's treated and serviced. I would recommend reading up on what others have said about driving a Multi, particularly max rpm, speed, shifting etc.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the towing taken care of. That was fun.

I am trying to save the truck. It would be a shame to part her out since everything else is working but that is still a possibility. I only have so much $$$.

Now for motors.

I kind of like original stuff but everyone is saying the multifuel engines are weak. Should I upgrade to something else?

What different motors are available and what are the advantages to switching? Will any of them affect top speed?
I hope that everyone is talking about just parting out the engine and not the truck.

red

Since you have a 5 ton, the transmission uses a SAE#2 bellhousing. That opens the door to pretty much any medium duty engine you want. 3 good engine choices that wont break the bank are the stock LDS multifuel (what the truck had), mechanical injection 8.3L Cummins, or a mechanical injection International DT466. I'll be installing a DT466 in my deuce around early september. I picked up the 1982 DT466 with 150k miles, for $800.

Csm Davis

Buy another multifuel of the same displacement and clean out and reuse all of the good parts on your engine it will have same HP and while you are at it add some ARP rod bolts and a good balance job is money well spent.

Tototex

I'm am learning a ton here. Thanks everyone!

Sounds like these are the top engine recommendations.

LDS multifuel
Cummins 6BT
international 6.0
mechanical injection 8.3L Cummins
mechanical injection International DT466.

I would like to keep her as original as I can so the LDS multifuel is kind of what I am leaning toward. I did some quick searching and have found a few on this half of the continent. Besides, if the apocalypse ever comes, I would still be able to run through town and drain everyone's oil for fuel :)

If I did swap to another engine, would top speed be affected or is that more of the transmissions area? I don't really ever plan on taking her far but 45 MPH top speed on a 60MPH hwy is pretty scary. Not to mention up and down hills.

Davis mentions ARP rod bolts, what is the advantage to these? Less likely to throw one?